Smith Co. Football

Guest Termite

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody been to practice the last few days????

Any thing new, any suprises??

Surely somebody, besides me and Owlsrule, have an opinion.

Coach Maynord invited me down Monday to see the new indoor facility and just hang out and watch the Owls practice. It was what I expected to see. Coaches coaching, kids working trying to get better. It's like I said before... the Owls don't rebuild they simple reload. It's no mystery to me why SC has been so successful. Everyone is committed from top to bottom. Rankin built the mindset years ago and it is paying off today. Everyone involved should be real proud of the all the hard work they have done to give these kids one of the best facilities anywhere.

I was really impressed with how the coaches worked the younger kids in and got them as many reps as the old ones. The QB situation should be in good hands for years to come that's for sure. I look forward to the scrimmage this afternoon.

Coach Maynord invited me down Monday to see the new indoor facility and just hang out and watch the Owls practice. It was what I expected to see. Coaches coaching, kids working trying to get better. It's like I said before... the Owls don't rebuild they simple reload. It's no mystery to me why SC has been so successful. Everyone is committed from top to bottom. Rankin built the mindset years ago and it is paying off today. Everyone involved should be real proud of the all the hard work they have done to give these kids one of the best facilities anywhere.

I was really impressed with how the coaches worked the younger kids in and got them as many reps as the old ones. The QB situation should be in good hands for years to come that's for sure. I look forward to the scrimmage this afternoon.

So, are you under the impression, like a lot of others, that they have too many coaches or are you convinced that they are all needed and play a vital role in the success of the program?

So, are you under the impression, like a lot of others, that they have too many coaches or are you convinced that they are all needed and play a vital role in the success of the program?

I just going to flat out tell you that you guys have something special down there. I haven't seen no one close to where your program is at today, unless your talking about a Maryville, Alcoa and the like. And if you guys had the talent of those schools there would be several Gold Balls in your trophy case. IMHO

As for the coaches. All I see is 8 men doing what they love. I think that you guys work well together and each one knows his assigment. You guys coach for all the right reasons. And like you said in the other thread, your very lucky to live in a community that supports the coaches and players. Good luck today.

• 3 weeks later...

"inches make champions"

-vince lombardi-

this guy knew a lil more about football than you do. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

......."but oldsc7 said football is about 2 things" /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

1.) Scoring Easy Touchdowns vs Not Scoring Easy Touchdowns

2.) Allowing Easy Touchdowns vs Not Allowing Easy Touchdowns

WOW! Sounds like someone has finally figured it all out /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

......."but oldsc7 said football is about 2 things" /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

1.) Scoring Easy Touchdowns vs Not Scoring Easy Touchdowns

2.) Allowing Easy Touchdowns vs Not Allowing Easy Touchdowns

WOW! Sounds like someone has finally figured it all out /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Yes I do say that...and so does my head coach and defensive coordinator. You are cheatham co guy correct? So tell me what football is about? Enlighten me because I really and honestly know that you can't tell me anything that I already do not know.

I know this, a team stands to make a lot more mistakes the more times they have to snap the ball on offense. Therefor, I, personally, am a huge fan of quick, easy TDs. The same holds true for defense. Keep making the opp. snap the ball and you keep increasing the likelihood that they will make a mistake. Now, here's where football IS a game of inches AND split seconds. Hold a block one count longer, take one inch off your pass, missread a ball carriers speed by an inch, jump one inch higher, run one tenth faster, miss a sack by one step, hesitate one second, take the slightest wrong angle; all these are examples of how an average play or potentially great play on either side of the ball is either made or not made. These plays, as we all know, change a game's character and makeup drastically. The team that wins the game of inches and split seconds (speed, strength, and execution) is the team team that makes more big plays, is the team that almost every time IS going to win the game.

I know this, a team stands to make a lot more mistakes the more times they have to snap the ball on offense. Therefor, I, personally, am a huge fan of quick, easy TDs. The same holds true for defense. Keep making the opp. snap the ball and you keep increasing the likelihood that they will make a mistake. Now, here's where football IS a game of inches AND split seconds. Hold a block one count longer, take one inch off your pass, missread a ball carriers speed by an inch, jump one inch higher, run one tenth faster, miss a sack by one step, hesitate one second, take the slightest wrong angle; all these are examples of how an average play or potentially great play on either side of the ball is either made or not made. These plays, as we all know, change a game's character and makeup drastically. The team that wins the game of inches and split seconds (speed, strength, and execution) is the team team that makes more big plays, is the team that almost every time IS going to win the game.

That oh so very true...I was just summing it up all in one. Cause IF those things happen that you mentioned and like you said is the reason why you win, getting the big play or lose giving up the big play.

Most these people who come from these slap programs do not understand any of that. Only think of the game as inches. Even some who have been around programs with good tradition, don't realize it either. hey they are the idiots in the stands coaching and not on the field, doing it for a living.

Yes I do say that...and so does my head coach and defensive coordinator. You are cheatham co guy correct? So tell me what football is about? Enlighten me because I really and honestly know that you can't tell me anything that I already do not know.

Football is about 3 THINGS oldsc7 (these are NOT listed in any particular order):

a.) Running

b.) Blocking

c.) Tackling

It doesn't matter if you stop a team from getting 20 yards per play or if you stop a team from getting 3 yards per play as long as you are somehow able to stop teams. It doesn't matter if you score in 1 play and it goes for 90 yards or if you score in 20 plays for 90 yards just as long as you score.

Who is your coach anyway oldsc7????????

Football is about 3 THINGS oldsc7 (these are NOT listed in any particular order):

a.) Running

b.) Blocking

c.) Tackling

It doesn't matter if you stop a team from getting 20 yards per play or if you stop a team from getting 3 yards per play as long as you are somehow able to stop teams. It doesn't matter if you score in 1 play and it goes for 90 yards or if you score in 20 plays for 90 yards just as long as you score.

Who is your coach anyway oldsc7????????

Ok you are right about that and like I said, you are not going to tell me anything about that I already do not know. I know all of this, but for the most part the good teams do this well. So when you have 2 good teams those 3 things are a given, wouldn't you say so? So once again football is about scoring easy touchdowns and not giving up easy touchdowns.

Oh and the guy I work for....well I am not going to say any names on the board because that's not what I do. Let's just say he is probably the one of the best coaches to ever coach in the state of TN in high school football.