Catholic football

Irish423

yeah i'm not sure whats going on between the admin and pemberton, but i feel that Kevin Smith was one of the best DC's in the state. Not really sure about this one... Why would they want Surlus in at head coach?

Irish423

Don't know Surals or Smith. I watched Catholic a few times this year. The DC is very good. Creative. He'll get hired quick. Don't know if Surals wants to coach or not. I've heard Pemberton has interviewed 1st class coaches that want the job & the principal runs em out of the interview.

ruse?

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irish423

Don't know Surals or Smith. I watched Catholic a few times this year. The DC is very good. Creative. He'll get hired quick. Don't know if Surals wants to coach or not. I've heard Pemberton has interviewed 1st class coaches that want the job & the principal runs em out of the interview.

ruse?

You and Irish423 are on crack. Best dc in the state coming off his only year ever doing it. Principal could care less who dc is he has to find a teacher to replace Smith. If he would have been more involved hiring him he wouldn't have to replace him. He would have never gotten the job. Assistants at Catholic run drills and make no other decisions , that is why they leave every year. The only coaches who stay are the teachers.

You and Irish423 are on crack. Best dc in the state coming off his only year ever doing it. Principal could care less who dc is he has to find a teacher to replace Smith. If he would have been more involved hiring him he wouldn't have to replace him. He would have never gotten the job. Assistants at Catholic run drills and make no other decisions , that is why they leave every year. The only coaches who stay are the teachers.

What doesnt make sense to me is why the coach was fired in the first place. I hear he was an foothole, well who cares? We aren't playing girls soccer sweetie. This is football. You better grow some balls if you are going to play it. THis is nothing like the Jeff County incident a few years back. He seems like a great defensive coordinator like irish and ruse? said. He knows his players and he is able to line his kids up to stop what is working for the other team.

What doesnt make sense to me is why the coach was fired in the first place. I hear he was an foothole, well who cares? We aren't playing girls soccer sweetie. This is football. You better grow some balls if you are going to play it. THis is nothing like the Jeff County incident a few years back. He seems like a great defensive coordinator like irish and ruse? said. He knows his players and he is able to line his kids up to stop what is working for the other team.

Interesting you sound alot like Irish423. He a teacher before being a coach. There is only room for 1 teacher at Catholic who doesn't acctually teach and who never talks to anybody and Pemberton has that job. He lost his job for thinking he worked for Pemberton not the school. Will you go out for football when your balls finish growing in?

Where's he goin?

I talked with his LB coach @ the allstar game TN vs KY and BUCK said that AIRFORCE & LOUISVILLE wanted him to play FullBack but he would most like to stay in TN or NC or SC and sign with CARSON NEWMAN or TUSCULUM and play LBER where his girl is in college, they both loved the place. He also told me that Coleman played the last part of the FB season with a broke hand, that might be the reason KERR would not pass to him in the last playoff game .The coach was high on the WB kid, also. Do you know where he signed? I think U of CUMBERLANDS & Georgetown wanted them both. DO you know where BRANUM the DB/REC from KC signed? I wish him well. He is a great kid.

I talked with his LB coach @ the allstar game TN vs KY and BUCK said that AIRFORCE & LOUISVILLE wanted him to play FullBack but he would most like stay in TN or NC or SC and sign with CARSON NEWMAN or TUSULUM and play LBER where his girl is in college they both loved the place. He also told me that Coleman played the last part of the FB season with a broke hand that might be the reason KERR would not pass to him in the last playoff game .The coach was high on the WB kid also do you know where he signed I think U of CLUMBERLANDS & George Town wanted them both.DO you know where BRANUM the DB/REC from KC signed I hope him well he is a great kid.

havent heard anything from branum lately. If he has signed it would be news to me.

Interesting you sound alot like Irish423. He a teacher before being a coach. There is only room for 1 teacher at Catholic who doesn't acctually teach and who never talks to anybody and Pemberton has that job. He lost his job for thinking he worked for Pemberton not the school. Will you go out for football when your balls finish growing in?

First football post I've looked at in quite a while. You seem to have hit the nail directly on the head (on several points I might add)! Coach Smith has actually had a hard time adapting to the idea that he should actually be required to teach. The academic side of the administration -not the principal or AD has had problems with his teaching skills or lack thereof for several years. He had been given repeated chances to correct several teaching deficiencies and chose not to do so. He was hired to be a PE teacher and basically serve as a strength coach for all sports. The initial directive was to work with the coaches of all sports and design sports specific programs for both the in-season and out of season workouts to be done during PE classes. The in-season workouts were to be scheduled to avoid strenuous workouts on game days with emphasis on stretching, flexibility, etc. Need less to say this wasn't being done and several non-football athletes were forced to do max lifts on game days which had their coaches quite upset. Several players have also suffered injuries which were related to the lifting workouts and overtraining. The basketball team brought in an outside trainer to use in pre-season since he didn't have time to train them during FB season. He had problems with this and would intentionally have them work the same muscle groups in class the day after they had just done them with the bb team trainer. He would ask them what they had worked onthe day before and hit those same muscle groups again. He also had some issues with the trainer and players not working out when he thought they were ok. He also wanted nothing to do with training any of the girls teams and was actually charging some of the girls teams to handle their workouts. Enough said there but he was an excellent FB coach.

There has been some turnover on the FB staff but mainly from the volunteers on the staff. They have had a great volunteer staff for the past several years. It's tough for guys working full-time to dedicate the hours that they have. JJ Surlas (the brother of the current AD) did a fantastic job for the fb team but his "real" job required more of his time in addition to his family. The same could be said of several of the other volunteer that have left. The coaches that are on staff that have given it up like Coach Hutchens and Coach Branson have spent years helping while coaching other sports and taking over greater school duties. You can only do that so long before it gets real old.

My hat goes off to all these coaches that have turned this program around over the past several years.

I talked with his LB coach @ the allstar game TN vs KY and BUCK said that AIRFORCE & LOUISVILLE wanted him to play FullBack but he would most like to stay in TN or NC or SC and sign with CARSON NEWMAN or TUSCULUM and play LBER where his girl is in college, they both loved the place. He also told me that Coleman played the last part of the FB season with a broke hand, that might be the reason KERR would not pass to him in the last playoff game .The coach was high on the WB kid, also. Do you know where he signed? I think U of CUMBERLANDS & Georgetown wanted them both. DO you know where BRANUM the DB/REC from KC signed? I wish him well. He is a great kid.

WOW!! if this is true why in the world would you turn down 2 D1 schools AIRFORCE or LOUISVILLE to go play at Carson Newman or Tusculum.. Ill tell you why because its not true.. i've heard him talk about it but never seen anything.. yeah he is good but not D1 good.. yeah im a Mav fan. Yes kerr would not throw it to him but why would he throw it to him when they have #6 josh wilson and #10 J.B. Young.. in my opinion coleman was not the best player on the team. as a fullback he could not block to save his life.

And if he would have taken Daniel Hoods legs out on that screen pass instead of going head up and getting stiffed arm and KNOCKED DOWN then we would have won that ball game and we would have won state..

WOW!! if this is true why in the world would you turn down 2 D1 schools AIRFORCE or LOUISVILLE to go play at Carson Newman or Tusculum.. Ill tell you why because its not true.. i've heard him talk about it but never seen anything.. yeah he is good but not D1 good.. yeah im a Mav fan. Yes kerr would not throw it to him but why would he throw it to him when they have #6 josh wilson and #10 J.B. Young.. in my opinion coleman was not the best player on the team. as a fullback he could not block to save his life.

And if he would have taken Daniel Hoods legs out on that screen pass instead of going head up and getting stiffed arm and KNOCKED DOWN then we would have won that ball game and we would have won state..

Blocking below the waist is a penalty. That might be the reason he didn't take out his legs !!!!