Meeting a district opponent 5 times in 1 season

MrTSSAA

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in the late 80s or early 90s South Greene's girls beat Unicoi County's girls five times in that very scenario...those were the only losses for UC that season. I can't remember the exact year.

they actually played 6 times in 1990-1991. they played in the ladies classic in greeneville with south greene winning. they split the 2 regular season games. they played in the district and regional tournament finals and unicoi won both. then in the state championship game and south greene won. they went 3-3 against each other. that was the only 3 loses for south greene and unicoi had 5 total i think. /motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" />

In the 98-99 season Jackson County girls played Livingston Academy 6 times, twice in regular season, district, regional, sectional, and finals of state. It was the year that 4 "sectionals" were played with the top two advancing to the state rather than the traditional 8 substate games. Livingston won the first meeting, Jackson County won the next 4 meetings, and Livingston won in the state finals.

In 71-72 it was Riverside and Howard 5 times. Riverside won all five. That was also the last year of no divisions in basketball (Geesh I am old).

In 72-73 LA beat Tyner on a last second shot in the first game of the Region. We then played Howard and lost by 30. Howard if I recall had a center about 6' 10" ....I believe his name was Reggie Cunningham. Howard then played Riverside for the Region Finals. Riverside had a player named Anthony Roberts ...that went on to play at Oral Roberts Univ. and I think he had a short stint in the NBA. I'm getting pretty old myself.

According to some older relatives of mine I think when reggie white played at howard one year they lost 5 total games all to riverside 2 regular season, district, region, and state finals

I thought Reggie played at Chattanooga Tyner ???

In 2006, Temple and Grace played each other twice in the regular season, at the Best of Preps Tournament, district and region championships. Grace went on that year to finish runner up to Union City after beating Humboldt in the semis. Temple came back next year and won the state title.

If Temple and Grace both win their semis, it will happen again this year, two regulars, district and region championships, and the finals.