Greatest Teams in Class A of ALL TIME

Vandychris

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im pretty sure slatten is at culleoka now, ive heard he is an excellent coach.

Since he left Perry Co., I believe he has coached at Crockett Co. and White Co., which is where he is from. You can guarantee that ANY team he coaches will be successful. I was a benchwarmer during my high school playing days, but our bench could have beaten several of our district rivals at that time. Coach Slatten does not tolerate mediocracy and ensures each player plays up to his highest potential. Looking at Culleoka's record, I wouldn't be surprised if he is there coach.

Since he left Perry Co., I believe he has coached at Crockett Co. and White Co., which is where he is from. You can guarantee that ANY team he coaches will be successful. I was a benchwarmer during my high school playing days, but our bench could have beaten several of our district rivals at that time. Coach Slatten does not tolerate mediocracy and ensures each player plays up to his highest potential. Looking at Culleoka's record, I wouldn't be surprised if he is there coach.

He is at Culleoka

I have attending the state for nearly 30 years. I believe the best single A team has to be one of those awsome Bolton teams or the 37 and 0 UnionCity team. You guys have named a lot of good teams and a lot of good players. The Carlos Groves teams for East Robertson were a given for me. I expected them to win the state and they did not disappoint. I don't think they get close to the other teams that I named. That clears me of a biased opinion. A lot of memories on this thread.

You'd have to talk to someone from there....Linden and Perry Co are out in the middle of nowhere....I remember when I went to that Perry County-Union City game in 97 at Linden it was like going back in time.....Sort of like going to Jo Byrns for a football game.....

Linden Still is 'back in the day' I sure miss those days!! I had a cousin on that played for Linden during their storied 3 Straight State Titles in the '50s ..they only had 6 players but they could play !!!!!!!!!!!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Welcome aboard, BackInTheDay!!!!

-----------------------------------------------

Sounds like you've got some very nice, fond memories from those days gone by!!!!

Wow!

Man, you had some great, rare experiences that one would cherish for an entire lifetime!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

On a personal note, I am absolutely thrilled to hear that Perry County has not fallen "victim" to the massive Population explosion, and has remained the same peaceful, country town in which you grew up! Hopefully, they'll be be able to maintain that wholesome, "small-town" status for generations to come.

Absolutely nothing beats the peace and tranquility that exists in a small town, IMO!

Having grown up in Colliervile, Tennessee....back when Collierville was a simple, teeny-tiny, friendly, little country-bumpkin town--where everybody knew everybody, you didn't have to lock your doors--day or nite, rotary-dialed phones were standard, the corner-grocery stores had them old, creaky wooden floors and sold "goose" liver by slice, they even mixed the kids cherry-cola sodas, gave them scoops of ice cream.....heck, they even delivered your groceries (for free), folks sold snow cones on the corner, Friday nite fish-frys and live music on the town square, picking pecans and walnuts, Saturday morning fishing-- down at the neighborhood pond...

Ok, Let me stop---- I'm starting to get carried away, getting all nostalgic!!

Anyway, those were the good ol' days! Not coincedentally, my life's most cherished memories are from those simple years growing up, in that small Country Town of Collierville!

----------------------------------------------------------

BackInTheDay, I would absolutely love to see the small-town Perry County Vikings' basketball program return to "glory!" That would make a great story! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Perry Co. will return to glory by 2017, but hopefully they'll be there before that. If you look at PC's state championships, they won in '57, '77, '97, which is every 20 years. If history repeats itself, look for PC to bring "home" a 7th gold ball in 2017!

• 2 weeks later...

Having played ball in Class A in high school and being old enough to remember most of those teams I'd like to put in my two cents but in doing so would have to agree with most of you. I do recall some decent teams from the Upper Cumberland area over the years being the Coe/Arms led Celina teams in the early to mid 80s, along with the Mike Buck 88 Clarkrange team and some early 90s Pickett County teams.

However with some recognition having been given to those teams the elite was of course the Perry Co. bunch with the brothers and I remember the Bolton teams being feared and revered when I was young. East Robertson was always tough to handle in the late 80s too.

To me though it would be a tough choice between the Sylvester Gray Bolton team and the Fitz Jones/Groves East Robertson teams. I think either of those could have beaten the other class champions handily those years. Gray was a freak of nature. I remember being in such awe of him because I'd never seen a guy play the way he did. It's been over twenty years and just reading the name brought back memories of being so impressed with him. Guarded Jones myself and never played against someone so quick, and Groves, now let me just tell you about Groves. Dunked on me and I was so scared that I closed my eyes when I set up to take the charge. Thing was he never hit me and I opened my eyes just in time to see his shoes flying by my head.

Having played ball in Class A in high school and being old enough to remember most of those teams I'd like to put in my two cents but in doing so would have to agree with most of you. I do recall some decent teams from the Upper Cumberland area over the years being the Coe/Arms led Celina teams in the early to mid 80s, along with the Mike Buck 88 Clarkrange team and some early 90s Pickett County teams.

However with some recognition having been given to those teams the elite was of course the Perry Co. bunch with the brothers and I remember the Bolton teams being feared and revered when I was young. East Robertson was always tough to handle in the late 80s too.

To me though it would be a tough choice between the Sylvester Gray Bolton team and the Fitz Jones/Groves East Robertson teams. I think either of those could have beaten the other class champions handily those years. Gray was a freak of nature. I remember being in such awe of him because I'd never seen a guy play the way he did. It's been over twenty years and just reading the name brought back memories of being so impressed with him. Guarded Jones myself and never played against someone so quick, and Groves, now let me just tell you about Groves. Dunked on me and I was so scared that I closed my eyes when I set up to take the charge. Thing was he never hit me and I opened my eyes just in time to see his shoes flying by my head.

Good post and good ole days! The Coe/Arms teams from Celina were mean until they run into Sylvester Gray and Bolton...They were good enough to win it all had it not been for Bolton. They (Bolton) were just awesome.

Mike Buck went on at MTSU and set the record for made 3 pointers in a single NCAA tournament game that held for years if not mistaken. (FSU?)

Pickett County in the early 90"s were good as well but not Perry county or Bolton good but certainly worthy of recognition as they played good competition and had some great athletes. 3 Mr. Basketball winners from 90-95. And had potential for one more during that span.

Fitz and Groves were a tandem and made for some great East Robertson teams.

David Woodard was pretty good for East Robertson and they had a good team....Just ran into a good Steve Hammer led Middleton team in 93. Woodard at what 6'1 dunked on my brother at 6'5 and then did the heisman pose...Pretty awesome...We still talk about that dunk from time to time. Woodard also dunked on Hammer too!! he could get up!