Maryville v Catholic

BigAir

How am I supposed to make my prediction if I don't know anything about Maryville?!? :)

:):) now thats funny! Maryville lost 1 regular season game since 2001? Thats this year to Alcoa, so they must be down, I mean they lost a game. Irish423, your a underdog to Maryville, until you beat them! That will not happen Thursday!

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh jeez... maybe that was sarcasm? Hard to tell on a computer, but clearly we all know who maryville is/was. can we please forget the 74 game win streak and all that. While it is not completely irrelevant from the conversation, it does not do anything to justify why catholic will lose. I want to know about the players for maryville, the offense for maryville, the defense for maryville, the special teams for maryville, and go ahead and throw in the cheerleaders for maryville. I want to know why my team "is going to lose" thursday. Not why we would have lost last year or a few years ago. I know Maryville is great and because they lost a game I would not call them down by any means. I wanna know what they have going for them besides a snapped win streak, George Quarles, hatred towards Meadows, and however many rings. I wanna know what to see thursday.

So anyone?

Hay as beet up as Mairvul iz....Eye'm jest hopin' thay keep hit close.....Smithey and Russo are both goin' wif Cathlick..... :popcorneater:

Smithey and Russo are both picking with their "hearts" instead of their "heads." Like many of the Knoxville sports media, they are Catholic sheep1.gifsheep1.gifsheep1.gif

Fixed.

Now that's just funny. :roflol:

Guess those free t-shirts, hats and concessions have paid off. We have a great media relationship.

IrishBBall (or other Catholic supporters):

#1 Understand that I'm a William Blount guy, so I am not asking this question as a Maryville "homer"... consider myself a friend of Coach Meadows, I'm not anti-Catholic. Explain why--and I'm not saying you can't--both Smithey and Russo would pick Catholic to beat Maryville tonight based on this season's body of work, rankings of the teams, tradition, etc. without there being any hint of "Catholic High School football" bias on their parts? If they get it right, they both look like genius' but it would sure be interesting to know what they are basing their pick on.

I'm not trying to bash ... interested in your perspective.

Well, I'm about to head out of the office for the second half of the day, so I guess it's prediction time for me...

Offense:

Catholic has that huge O-line and a very good running back. Also, the QB looks to be very poised and has at least one great downfield threat as well as the time and ability to get the ball to him and others.

Maryville has a very good QB as well and a couple of solid runners. I'm not quite sure yet that I've noted a game-changing receiver for the Rebels, and I don't know the status of J West.

I'm calling it a slight edge to Catholic.

Defense:

Maryville was great against the run last week, but deplorable with it against Alcoa. In the other games they've been somewhere in between. I think the DBs are solid, and like at all MHS positions they play their roles well. I expect that they will contain the passing threat and probably be relied upon for run support rather heavily.

(Keeping in mind that I've only seen Catholic play one time) KC looks susceptible on defense. I think they are a little undisciplined and could be gouged with misdirection. Maryville has the tools to move the ball against them.

Coaching:

GQ no doubt. The familiarity lends itself incredibly in his favor, and no staff adapts or modifies as well as his.

I don't think that homefield advantage will play much of a role.

I think that overall team speed and poise goes to the Rebels.

I learned a long time ago that the odds are against you when you bet against Maryville, so I'm going with:

MHS 27

KC 17

I'm looking forward to a very good game. It's football weather and the atmosphere should be electric.

Good luck to the Mighty Mighty Red Rebels!!

Jacob West and Cox are not playing. Cox has a broken clavicle and West has not been cleared to play because of the concussion from last week. Both key players for Maryville and both will be missed.

Dang, can I revise my prediction?

JK...best wishes to both young men on a speedy recovery. They will be missed, but the health of student athletes is the top priority. MHS might not be as plug-n-play as they have been in some past years, but I'm confident that the other Rebels will step up.