Blackman vs Oakland @ The Inferno Game 8

#1 - Blackman has a good band. They need to drop the karaoke girl schtick and start going to some band competitions. Siegel and LaVergne have already kicked butt at competitions this fall and brought home some large hardware to their schools.

#2 - They knew halftime was over. There was no need to even try to march the halftime show - just play after the game (or before) if needed.

#3 - Oakland's p.a. guy is even worse than having a karaoke girl singing in the stands. The tssaa should make a rule regarding classless homer p.a. announcers.

#4 - It was a great game. Kudos to both football teams.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will never forget one year going to watch Lebanon on our open date. They were playing Wilson Central and it was Homecoming. I was eager to see this huge rivalry game. We had WC the next week and I was anxious to see what they had in store for us.

BUT...... Their band had their OWN homecoming the same night. So not only did you have to sit through all the regular crowning of the queen and calling out every accomplishment that the attendants made , but then we had to watch the BAND crown their own queen AND HER attendants. It was the most ridiculous thing that I have ever seen. I didn't think it would EVER be over. TWO QUEENS and TWO COURTS!! INSANE! It went wayyyyy past the time allotted on the clock. I thought Coach Brown was going to lose it..... :lol: They needed to warm up and stretch and couldn't even get on the field. I will never go to that place again when it is their homecoming b/c of that. Thank goodness we don't have them on the schedule anymore.

Oh and nrgrizzles....when you get on a rant you get on a rant. Bet if your son ever wrecked your car, he would still be hearing about it on your deathbed. :wacko:

I know I know our PA guy isn't what I would like him to be either. I have already admitted that more than once on here. BUT....at least he never tore down the goalpost. :lol:

When i heard what happened i could not believe it. But in 07 when Smyrna played at LaVergne the band hepled to ice the LaVergne kicker and keep the streak alive. He missed it by semitruck wide left and that game got Smyrna in the playoffs. We won by two. Bands can help. Don't get me wrong i am not defending what happened at all. They clearly had their own agenda. In some situations a band can help. They just need realize their role.

Don't get me started on Blackman's band. Two yrs ago when we played at the Inferno our team was praying together, your band marched on the field after the game beside where our team and coaches were and played as loudly as they could. It was obvious that our team was praying as they were on their knees with their heads bowed, and their arms around each other. I thought that was probably the sorriest thing I had ever seen in my life. The band stood beside us the entire time playing as loudly as they could. No reason for that. I will add that yall also lost that night, so not sure why they weren't high-tailing it out of there.

Their pulsating micrphone karaoke was also responsible for causing a parent of one of their football players to have a brain anuerysm ( sp) in the stands and die maybe 6 yrs ago. The lady was complaining right before she collpased that the band was giving her a devastating headache and she wished the girl singing on the mike would shut-up. Scared me so bad that I wore earplugs for yrs after that so I didn't have to hear that caterwalling ( sp) . Usually when I speak of their band , I get jumped on here about how effective they are for their team. The record never proved that to be so..... :mrgreen:

First of all, the lady that this happened to was very near and dear to my heart. lets just say she was a second mom. if you would, please dont bring that up again.

But yes the blackman band sucks. especailly there horrible singer that they have. i played for blackman during the worst 4 years of football possibly ever played under the worst coach that has probably ever coached. the band played "living on a prayer" every single game about mid way through the fourth quarterr. they even played it at away games! so at the rate in which the football team sucked, i could imagine i heard it 40 times in my high school carrerr. the moral on the sideling automatically went to p*ssed off when that song started. there were a couple of times i wanted to jump in the stands and kill that director

and also, they insisted on singing ALLL game EVERY game.

it was horrible. and defintaly the worst part of friday nights.

Enough with bashing Oakland's PA anouncer. He is a homer and I love him for it. He does a great job at it. the last guy at Oakland would mis-pronounce Euverard, (he would sometimes call him Everard).

I'll listen to your band, your ceasless senior night, your homer announcer without complaint. Announcers at all levels, including the NFL, make ti clear who they are for during the course of their call of the game.

If the announcer doesn't have a little cheer leader in him, you might as well get the speech teacher to do it.

The game can be summed up in one play. Blackman had the ball with a fourth and less than one. The quarterback takes the snap, hands the ball to the running back and he is tackled 2 yards short of the line of scrimmage. The Blackman "three-headed" monster had only 9 yards in 27 carries, and less than 100 yards of total offense in the entire game. The Oakland D-line controlled the game.

The Blackman team had a good group of linebackers. When Oakland put most of their D-line onto the offensive line, they had a problem with the "hogs."

While the skill positions get the accolades, the lines win the games. They did Friday night.

As for the Blackman band, the TSSAA has outlawed artificial noisemakers. What about their guitars, amps, singers, and speakers? The Blackman band sure seems to disregard that rule. While I also understand honoring seniors on "Senior Night," the band decided they needed to be honored at half-time AFTER Oakland put on their half-time routine (everyone else got honored BEFORE the game). After sitting through a lot of names of band members, the officials came onto the field to begin the game. The half-time clock had long since expired. Then the band comes onto the field to perform. And, if that was not bad enough, after the game is over, while the players are still on the field, they decided they needed to perform again (let the players pray, rejoice and gather up their stuff). I realize the band member's parents are there to watch them, but don't affect the game! It is a FOOTBALL game, not a band concert.

Don't get me started on Blackman's band. Two yrs ago when we played at the Inferno our team was praying together, your band marched on the field after the game beside where our team and coaches were and played as loudly as they could. It was obvious that our team was praying as they were on their knees with their heads bowed, and their arms around each other. I thought that was probably the sorriest thing I had ever seen in my life. The band stood beside us the entire time playing as loudly as they could. No reason for that. I will add that yall also lost that night, so not sure why they weren't high-tailing it out of there.

Their pulsating micrphone karaoke was also responsible for causing a parent of one of their football players to have a brain anuerysm ( sp) in the stands and die maybe 6 yrs ago. The lady was complaining right before she collpased that the band was giving her a devastating headache and she wished the girl singing on the mike would shut-up. Scared me so bad that I wore earplugs for yrs after that so I didn't have to hear that caterwalling ( sp) . Usually when I speak of their band , I get jumped on here about how effective they are for their team. The record never proved that to be so..... :blush:

2p, I usually love your post on here and aggree with most of everything you say. And being a former player @ BHS you will never here me support the bands actions during the games. But I was on that team when this lady passed away, her son is one of my good friends. She was actually sitting right next to my parents when she had the anuerysm. I can promise you the band had nothing to do with this happening. Its not fair to pin something like that on them.

Ive never known you to speak without doing your homework, but whoever told you that was what happened is 100% WRONG. And if that story is going around, then it needs to be put to bed immediately! :blush:

Enough with bashing Oakland's PA anouncer. He is a homer and I love him for it. He does a great job at it. the last guy at Oakland would mis-pronounce Euverard, (he would sometimes call him Everard).

I'll listen to your band, your ceasless senior night, your homer announcer without complaint. Announcers at all levels, including the NFL, make ti clear who they are for during the course of their call of the game.

If the announcer doesn't have a little cheer leader in him, you might as well get the speech teacher to do it.

But at most sporting events, the public address announcer lets everyone know what is happening and who did it, regardless of what team they are on.

The game can be summed up in one play. Blackman had the ball with a fourth and less than one. The quarterback takes the snap, hands the ball to the running back and he is tackled 2 yards short of the line of scrimmage. The Blackman "three-headed" monster had only 9 yards in 27 carries, and less than 100 yards of total offense in the entire game. The Oakland D-line controlled the game.

The Blackman team had a good group of linebackers. When Oakland put most of their D-line onto the offensive line, they had a problem with the "hogs."

While the skill positions get the accolades, the lines win the games. They did Friday night.

As for the Blackman band, the TSSAA has outlawed artificial noisemakers. What about their guitars, amps, singers, and speakers? The Blackman band sure seems to disregard that rule. While I also understand honoring seniors on "Senior Night," the band decided they needed to be honored at half-time AFTER Oakland put on their half-time routine (everyone else got honored BEFORE the game). After sitting through a lot of names of band members, the officials came onto the field to begin the game. The half-time clock had long since expired. Then the band comes onto the field to perform. And, if that was not bad enough, after the game is over, while the players are still on the field, they decided they needed to perform again (let the players pray, rejoice and gather up their stuff). I realize the band member's parents are there to watch them, but don't affect the game! It is a FOOTBALL game, not a band concert.

WOW. I couldn't believe this post when I read it...is this poster related to the disrespectful Oakland students who regularly bring drums to sporting events where "no artificial noisemakers are allowed" and proceed to taunt the parents? Now thats class...

OHS fans, you are the defending state champs. You just went on the road and got a big win against the #2 team in the state. Why dont you talk about how well your team played, instead of talking about how annoying the BHS band is... As a former player, I know how annoying the BHS band can be, but enjoy the win. If you want to bash the band, start a new thread! :blush: