Where is Darkwa going to college?

nosidj

My nephew went to Ensworth Middle School and then left in 9th grade for MBA. He had a great time at Ensworth and has nothing but good things to stay about the school.

However, the academic rigor at MBA was a big, big adjustment for him. At Ensworth, he often had his homework done before he left school (and he tells me that his former classmates tell him they are still able to do this routinely.) At MBA, he is up until 11 or 12 every night getting his work done. His teachers could care less if he had a game the night before a test or has a game scheduled on the evening after a test. He is just expected to get the work done like anyone else. He was a straight A student at Ensworth and, while he is a good student at MBA, he is nowhere near the top of his class.

From what he has told me, Ensworth is just a different kind of school with different kinds of academic expectations. One could argue whether or not having a 14 or 15 year old kid up doing homework until midnight every night is really the best thing for the kid, but that's the MBA expectation.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly both schools can offer the same difficulty of classes both difficult and easy. I know children at Ensworth who take as many AP classes as possible and are extremely involved in the school that get 5 hours of sleep while others take the "senior classes" a.k.a. the easy classes and finish their homework before schools out and do alright but not well. There are also the classes in between for the kids who are not geniuses, but like to work hard. Im sure this is the same for MBA. It all depends on the wishes of the student and their incentives to do well and purse help outside the classroom from teachers. I don't know the academic structure or level of MBA, but I can confidently assume that it harbors nearly identical opportunities.

My nephew is not in any AP or Honors classes. Honestly, he couldn't compete with the other kids at that level. He says that all the boys at MBA work as hard as he does. From what he says, I think your assumption that there are easy classes for the less gifted is not true at MBA.

Not true. That is all.

My nephew went to Ensworth Middle School and then left in 9th grade for MBA. He had a great time at Ensworth and has nothing but good things to stay about the school.

However, the academic rigor at MBA was a big, big adjustment for him. At Ensworth, he often had his homework done before he left school (and he tells me that his former classmates tell him they are still able to do this routinely.) At MBA, he is up until 11 or 12 every night getting his work done. His teachers could care less if he had a game the night before a test or has a game scheduled on the evening after a test. He is just expected to get the work done like anyone else. He was a straight A student at Ensworth and, while he is a good student at MBA, he is nowhere near the top of his class.

From what he has told me, Ensworth is just a different kind of school with different kinds of academic expectations. One could argue whether or not having a 14 or 15 year old kid up doing homework until midnight every night is really the best thing for the kid, but that's the MBA expectation.[

Ensworth, how do you stand posts like this? What does this post have to do with anything? Ensworth, I guess you are going to have to quit winning at football, because it is killing MBA. They politely insult your school every other post or two. You all must have done something worse than simply field an excellent football team to upset some of the MBAers so badly. Is someone at Ensworth on the Swan Ball invitation committee and forgot to send the MBA posters their invitations? Does Ensworth have a student group that supports the Democratic party? Did you forget to schedule a field trip to the Frist Art Museum? What could you all have possibly done for one MBA poster or another to insult Ensworth on a weekly basis? If you are a different kind of school (and I bet you are turning out some great academically prepared students), be happy because the MBA poster who insult you sound like pompous snobs. Who wants to raise a pompous snob. I"ll bet Darkwa is as successful as any student MBA turns out. Good luck to a fine young man.

That is a really funny post.

I am a country boy who sends his kids to public school. My sister married well and her son goes to MBA. I have never been called pompous before but I kind of like the sound of it.

I don't know what the Swan Ball is, but if you can't wear overalls, I would have to turn down the invite.

As I said, my nephew has nothing but good things to say about Ensworth. He just finds the academic environment at the 2 school very different. I am sorry if I offended someone--but I was just giving a viewpoint for the benefit of folks who may not be familiar with either school.

There is a big adjustment period between 8th and 9th grade. I know a lot of guys that have done what your nephew did and the work load is brutal but I know kids from different schools that say the exact same thing.

MBA's junior school without a doubt is more difficult that Ensworth's upper school, no question. In high school it evens out, the classes are about the same, teachers may assign more homework than others but that doesn't necessarily make a school "better" or give it higher academic standards. In 11th grade students can take electives so it's up to the student to decide how they want to be challenged. I don't know what electives MBA offers, I know they a few "senior classes" but it doesn't really matter. It's the students decision if they want to take a "senior class" or a more challenging class or an AP if they have the grades. If EHS's academic standards are to pass a bunch of easy courses in your final two years then fine. Those kids are wasting a $20,000 education but they are meeting the academic standards and trust me athletes are not the only ones in those classes and plenty are in AP's.

Even though gocat's post was out of line why even bring up a pointless issue in this stupid argument. Darkwa obviously is smart enough to make it through EHS like any other student. If he wouldn't make it through MBA fine, EHS isn't MBA.

I wonder if the SEC type schools consider him a "tweener". Either not big enough to be a power back, or fast (quick) enough to be a "scat" back at that level. All I do know is that he is the best I have seen so far this year, and I hope I don't see any that are better.

McBride from MUS is very good too. He missed some time this year early on with a shoulder injury, but has been really good since his return a few weeks ago. Little bigger and faster than Orleans. McBride won either the 100 or 200 last year and finished runner-up in the other.

I think that he flies a little under the radar because he gets fewer touches than Darkwa simply because MUS has options in Brunetti and another good RB/WR (another D1 talent) in Almond.

As of now, Almond and McBride have Army offers as well.

That could be one really good matchup in the State if it happens.

Brown from CBHS is a load. He is not a prolific back like the other mentioned here (recruited as a LB) but he as a big boy he can sure run and deliver punishment.

If ya'll are debating about whether or not Darkwa could survive at MBA, that is an absurdly insignificant argument. Let's get to the bottom line. Darkwa is too humble to fit in at MBA.

How about debating ENSWORTH vs MBA like they do PUBLIC vs PRIVATE on another message board. I'm sort of tired of hearing how JEALOUS you guys are of each other!!!