Ooltewah Football

TNsteeler

Top college prospect from Ooltewah: Smith

Top high school players from Ooltewah: Blake Foster and Patrick Flanagan

you are talking about 2 small backs...plus, you are comparing backs and a defensive lineman...the backs' stats are going to stick out more...Smith's stats dominate as a d lineman

but, if you know football, don't count stats.....

Thorough, spell Jacques right first, 2nd, you are wrong, there is not a better player than #36 to suit up in red, who has a better resume???????????????????

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure you had one single-game city rushing leader and one career city rushing leader with those two, not sure if those records still stand. I'm saying top high school player is a lot different than top prospect. If you're arguing top prospect then none that I'm aware of at Ooltewah High School come close to Smith.

Boy, where to start with this thread? Without a doubt, Jacques is the most decorated football player to ever play at Ooltewah and it's not a stretch to say he is the all time best player, regardless of position. Thorough, I went to school with Anderson Sanders who played at MTSU after high school. Anderson was rated as the top player in the state by at least one publication before his senior season, but in my opinion, Anderson was not the player that Jacques has been at Ooltewah. Too, Anderson played single A ball while Jacques played AAAAA....not the same.

To me, Blake Foster and Flanagan are the best backs of the decade at Ooltewah. Flanagan actually signed with UTC, and Blake was heavily recruited by the likes of Kentucky, but grades were an issue with him. You'll recall he set some kind of record against Central his senior season. Those guys may have not been the biggest, but they could fly. Caldwell and Marshall were also good backs but I would take Flanagan and Foster.

Agreeing with Thorough, Sanford Balew might be the best back ever at Ooltewah. However, his team mate Jimmy Favors might have been the best athlete to ever wear the red and grey. Jimmy was a Hershell Walker type in the early 80's that rushed for 900 yards as a freshman against a AA varsity schedule.

Going back a little further, Joe Williams led the city in rushing and signed and play for Richmond after high school. Joe went on to Harvard for graduate school and currently works for the Boston Globe. How is that for an african american football player that actually applied himself in the classroom?

Going back further still, Jim Jarvis and Ed Foster will tell you that former running back Charles Moreland might have been the best ever. He too led the city in rushing in the 70's.

Fat Sack...thats the best point Ive heard in a while

those type kids....I call them "private school players"...they cant start where there is competition and athletes, so they run to start at a Boyd Buchanan, Grace, or McCallie

same with these kids....they took one look at #36 and #7 and #20 and realized they didnt want to practice with gridiron players like that....so they ran to the new school so they actually could get to be a part of a few tackling drills

Yea I would not want to join them either after the way # 7 & # 20 represented the mighty owls in the east / west all-star game

I was wondering when someone was going to bring this up.

• 2 weeks later...