Who Can Play with Alcoa in 3A

logcabinman

I had two WEBB players that sat down in my some of my reserved seats during the 2nd half of the Maryville/Alcoa game. I let them stay because my kids were foot cruising the stadium. They were in awe of Maryville and Alcoa.

Yes the MARYVILLE that they scrimmaged with a month ago was not who they were watching.

I can understand were you are coming from but there is imo nothing to really be gained by the whole rigmarole. I just do not see the teams here needing all that diversion , there are probably only a dozen or so teams in the state that could pull it off. No disrespect intended jmo.

I understand where you're coming from GREYRIDER. It's not for everybody, and it's a little more laid back here. Nothing wrong with that at all. But it does bring the level of play up about 10 notches, which does help.

All the Coach T wizards flapping their gums about playing out of state teams for national recognition have fallen victim to big money and business. Rivals, ESPN, TNPreps, you name them have created this atmosphere so people will desire the big matchups and what ifs. Why? Cover them and promote on-line. Sell advertisements on your sites based upon the amount of traffic they can document on their on-line coverage. How do you pump up traffic and increase the hits? You create a regional and then national environment/market for high school football. You create a national ranking system that high school fans actually believe means something. You get the people in TN checking up on teams in Texas, Florida, and South Carolina. You get people in Cali looking up info on teams in Ohio. You get people in Florida checking on teams in Oklahoma. Give the players a rating/ranking and it really mushrooms! Wow, and the hits start rolling!

And then (drum roll please), you charge for access! Brillant! Suckers abound! You think these sites do all this for free? Do you think these reporters that couldn't pass remedial breathing 101 in college do this for free? Get real! They are making a living off the backs of high school football players and coaches that get nothing. Nothing noble here.

Some will argue that it is a great service as it helps get kids recruited. Fact is this is what has turned college recruiting into the circus it has become. High school football is quickly becoming college football. Nike and Addias sponsorships, TV contracts, and commercial sponsors are all indicators that our beloved high school game has become commercialized. When and where does it stop?

Edited by scots50

All the Coach T wizards flapping their gums about playing out of state teams for national recognition have fallen victim to big money and business. Rivals, ESPN, TNPreps, you name them have created this atmosphere so people will desire the big matchups and what ifs. Why? Cover them and promote on-line. Sell advertisements on your sites based upon the amount of traffic they can document on their on-line coverage. How do you pump up traffic and increase the hits? You create a regional and then national environment/market for high school football. You create a national ranking system that high school fans actually believe means something. You get the people in TN checking up on teams in Texas, Florida, and South Carolina. You get people in Cali looking up info on teams in Ohio. You get people in Florida checking on teams in Oklahoma. Give the players a rating/ranking and it really mushrooms! Wow, and the hits start rolling!

And then (drum roll please), you charge for access! Brillant! Suckers abound! You think these sites do all this for free? Do you think these reporters that couldn't pass remedial breathing 101 in college do this for free? Get real! They are making a living off the backs of high school football players and coaches that get nothing. Nothing noble here.

Some will argue that it is a great service as it helps get kids recruited. Fact is this is what has turned college recruiting into the circus it has become. High school football is quickly becoming college football. Nike and Addias sponsorships, TV contracts, and commercial sponsors are all indicators that our beloved high school game has become commercialized. When and where does it stop?

here here!!

For more on the "Big Money" that is now High School Football check out CNBC on Friday 1:30 EST :ph34r:

I can assure you those games are far from "novelty" to the programs that participate, and have more than one purpose. The exposure not only for your program, but state. To take your level of play up a notch against what many times is the best competition you will see all year. To better prepare your team for the playoffs, unless you are already far better than the rest of your division. Playing on a national stage is no less pure than playing in front of your community, it's still h.s. football....but it's a whole lot more intense. The only money involved is in the form of assistance for travel and lodging, not money in kids' pockets. That same community pride is there for the whole nation to see, and is magnified.

I don't think there are many kids out there who wouldn't want to experience that type of game just once in their h.s. career. Ask the Gallatin kids if the trip to Canton was an experience they'll remember for life....

I know you mean well , or at least I hope you do , but when I see you say things like " a whole lot more intense " and " bring the level of play up 10 notches " .... I realize you have no clue what the Maryville / Alcoa game means around here . Maybe you're not as lucky as we are here in Blount County to have a game that meets and exceeds anything Maryville & Alcoa could find even if they traveled 500 miles to find a game . Sure we might find another team with more talent if we traveled that far , but you're crazy if you think It would mean more to us than what we've already got right here at home . Instead of asking the Gallatin kids about Canton , Why don't you come and ask these Maryville and Alcoa kids If they will remember this year's Maryville / Alcoa game for the rest of their life?

win 6a , then everybody on here will be saying , " Wow , MBA,BA, MUS ,ETC , are the best in the state hands down . Instead of doing this , most of the private school fans would rather thump their chest , and claim superiority by using a couple of Private / Public matchups a year as an example .

So I guess MUS beating the 6A state champs last year doesnt count for anything?...without Brunetti I might add

I know you mean well , or at least I hope you do , but when I see you say things like " a whole lot more intense " and " bring the level of play up 10 notches " .... I realize you have no clue what the Maryville / Alcoa game means around here . Maybe you're not as lucky as we are here in Blount County to have a game that meets and exceeds anything Maryville & Alcoa could find even if they traveled 500 miles to find a game . Sure we might find another team with more talent if we traveled that far , but you're crazy if you think It would mean more to us than what we've already got right here at home . Instead of asking the Gallatin kids about Canton , Why don't you come and ask these Maryville and Alcoa kids If they will remember this year's Maryville / Alcoa game for the rest of their life?

Pep, I don't think anyone is argueing the fact that Maryville/Alcoa is as intense as it gets. I would rate that game as one of the top 10 rivalries in the entire nation, #1 in TN for sure(and I know, I've watched high school football all over the country.) However, when these young kids get a chance to travel to another state and play top-notch competition on a regional or national level, it is something special as well. My biggest rivalries when I played at OR were Knox Central and Farragut. Those were some heated contests, too. I would've loved to have been a part of an OOS game, though.