Powell vs Oak ridge

SweetScience

So I'm having a cocktail with a friend (lifelong Oak Ridger born late 60's). I'm complaining about all the kids leaving Oak Ridge to play for Clinton and wondering aloud why they aren't coming to Oak Ridge from somewhere else. My buddy tells me "it used to happen when the plants were big. You could get someone a job if their kid played good ball". And I asked another about this. His answer "yea, that's what I heard". No one ever said "Quarterback Billy Joe Jim Bob transferred in for his senior year. His daddy got a job delivering the mail at K-25". So I'm also guilty of "I heard". Then there are many legitamite transfers. I'm not sure when Paducah born NFL lineman Bob Winkel came to Oak Ridge.

Now, I still trust my sources. They probably told me something they thought was true, along with many, many accurate stories of what it was like in Oak Ridge in the past. So, like Boobie, I'm guilty of repeating rumors. My apologies. It won't happen again.

Runner - Are you serious that you had NO TRANSFERS or new kids from somewhere else on the team for at least five years? That is really amazing.

Mr. Nole,

On the transfers I don’t remember any transfers to the football team while I was in the system.. And again my memory is not what it used to be..But looking back at the rosters It is confirmed.

I hear you on your sources.. My grandfather used to tell a tall tale himself….. and through the years I have heard the Myth before as well. I just can’t see DOE recruiting for the football team..But if this kid from KY told you that then that may be the closest thing to proof so far…

Let’s beat Powell..

Any advice on parking for the game, especially since it's the season opener?

Just plan on getting there early so you can find a place to park close by and a table at Big Ed's.

Seriously, I've been to Oak Ridge on many occasions and have never had an issue with parking. You may have to walk a couple of blocks, but you'll be fine.

Mr. Nole,

On the transfers I don’t remember any transfers to the football team while I was in the system.. And again my memory is not what it used to be..But looking back at the rosters It is confirmed.

I hear you on your sources.. My grandfather used to tell a tall tale himself….. and through the years I have heard the Myth before as well. I just can’t see DOE recruiting for the football team..But if this kid from KY told you that then that may be the closest thing to proof so far…

Let’s beat Powell..

No, you misunderstand me. I think Bob Winkel was an example of a legitimate transfer. I didn't mean he had told me that. I've never met the man. So, he was born in Paducah (according to NFL websites) and coming to Oak Ridge is probably a case of Dad being transferred. I am absolutely certain that a few athletes from various sports have come here due to legitimate tranfers to the DOE facilities. Especially in the 50's.

Edited by OR nole

No, you misunderstand me. I think Bob Winkel was an example of a legitimate transfer. I didn't mean he had told me that. I've never met the man. So, he was born in Paducah (according to NFL websites) and coming to Oak Ridge is probably a case of Dad being transferred. I am absolutely certain that a few athletes from various sports have come here due to legitimate tranfers to the DOE facilities. Especially in the 50's.

And they are?

We still have a few of those "50's" guys around-- Maybe Mr. Pope knows.

I would rather table this issue until we get some real proof.. I mean the fact is- none of us have any real examples. Even if we did- we would want to confirm it with those individuals to make sure. And not just the player... We would need to confirm with the indvid. who hired the father or mother as well..

it's only fair to get all the facts..

next issue... Can we do it?. Powell's running game is killer.. Can we stop it? We have some great LB's coaching for sure! I hope they can teach it!

Regarding parking and the stadium:

Someone else may be able to answer better than I can but I would point out that parking right at the stadium is very limited, although there is some. Most folks are going to have to park on the street and walk. If you park and enter from the top of the stadium on the home side (NOT the main entrance), there is a nice pre-game cook out with grilled burgers available (I'm assuming they will do that for the home opener.)

Most importantly, for anyone who is making their first trip to Blankenship, the stadium is NOT at the high school. Here is a link to directions to the stadium.

http://hallsstadiumclub.com/blankenship.htm

Edited by Govolsknox

You have lots of options for parking. There is a lot on Tennessee Avenue across from the Soup Kitchen restaurant, on the street at Tennessee Avenue. Kentucky Avenue runs behind the stadium on the press box side, you can park on the street all the way up Kentucky. There is an upperlot by the press box, it fills up quickly, get there by 6:30 to park there. There is a lot at the main entrance and you can park in Jackson Square. There's just lots of options, shouldn't be a problem. The tailgaiting at the upper entrance on press box side is really nice, lots of concrete tables, good food, fair price. Come early and meet some Ridgers, nice folks at the tailgate.

What you're hearing are rumors from the 40's and 50's. And there may have been folks move here from surrounding counties that went to work at one of the plants..... and their son was a good football or basketball player so who knows? A lot folks moved here from Campbell county in the early 50's and their sons were really good football players. I'm just saying. And my family moved here in 1945.

And they are?

We still have a few of those "50's" guys around-- Maybe Mr. Pope knows.

I would rather table this issue until we get some real proof.. I mean the fact is- none of us have any real examples. Even if we did- we would want to confirm it with those individuals to make sure. And not just the player... We would need to confirm with the indvid. who hired the father or mother as well..

it's only fair to get all the facts .

You don't need any facts when you go accusing Maryville of anything ... do you Bladerunner . I have no problem giving Oak Ridge the respect they deserve , they have great tradition and history . It's too bad Bladerunner has decided to trash Maryville at every opportunity , a Great Rivalry built on mutual respect is what Maryville and Oak Ridge deserve .

Rumors are usually started by the losers who have had their butt's kicked over the years , or outside people jealous of how many wins your team has had , so they have to make up excuses .