Northeast Tennessee Conference Alignment

RebelConvert

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every teams standard should be the state championship, I get that. However certain teams can measure success by just being there. Is it a bigger letdown for a team expected to be there year in and year out to make it to state and lose, or for teams not expected to win to go deep into the playoffs, or for a cellar team to reach .500? I'd love to have at least one of each teams fans respond. How do you measure success for your team? What is a successful year for DB, SH, TH, SS, DB, DC, SC, Vol? Of course any other schools are welcome to contribute. I sort of get a feeling from the upper echelon (sp?) of the Big 8 that winning your own conference doesn't mean much.

Every teams standard should be the state championship, I get that. However certain teams can measure success by just being there. Is it a bigger letdown for a team expected to be there year in and year out to make it to state and lose, or for teams not expected to win to go deep into the playoffs, or for a cellar team to reach .500? I'd love to have at least one of each teams fans respond. How do you measure success for your team? What is a successful year for DB, SH, TH, SS, DB, DC, SC, Vol? Of course any other schools are welcome to contribute. I sort of get a feeling from the upper echelon (sp?) of the Big 8 that winning your own conference doesn't mean much.

I can't speak for Stacy Carter, but in my mind. Science Hill's goal is a state championship, BUT (realistically) going 2 or 3 deep in the play-offs would constitute a successful season for us.

BUT, I will say . . . going 2 or 3 deep in the play-offs and losing to D-B in the regular season would NOT sit well with the Science Hill faithful.

Edited by The Hill

I can't speak for Stacy Carter, but in my mind. Science Hill's goal is a state championship, BUT (realistically) going 2 or 3 deep in the play-offs would constitute a successful season for us.

BUT, I will say . . . going 2 or 3 deep in the play-offs and losing to D-B in the regular season would NOT sit well with the Science Hill faithful.

I still wonder why Science Hill hired a coach to beat DB that has never beaten DB ???

Ok, here it is. All the one and done crap from people about DB is a direct result of playing tuff teams early in the year and then finishing with weeker big eight schools. The reason... The speed of the game in our area is a lot slower than other regions. It's a fact. We just don't have the quanity of athletes. We might have a few but not the number as these other schools. I would like to see DB realigned in conference with Jeff County, Bearden, Sevier County,Science Hill, Farragut, Maryville and Oak Ridge. Is that a super conference or what? I believe who ever wins this conference would play for a gold ball every year. Just because the level of competition would elevate each teams game. I realize we would have a hard time winning this conference, but it would improve our program greatly. Anyone agree or disagree? Roll Tribe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you took Maryville out of your "super" conference, would you still expect the winner of this "super" conference to play for a gold ball every year? I'm just sayin...........

I think every fan but DB will tell you a conference championship and a good showing in the playoffs represents a very good season. Everybody's goal is the state championship but that is just not realistic every single year.

Now, a DB fan will tell you it's a state championship or nothing. They actually think they have a chance every year to play for it but that is laffable. Espically considering their recent one and done streak in the playoffs. In fact since the state went to a playoff format DB has never won a state title. All of theirs came via the popular vote, same as their recent #1 rankings which eventually lead to a disappointing playoff flameout.

I think every team wants to win a state championship, but it is unrealistic to have that as your goal year in and year out. Out of the 300+ schools in Tennessee, only 8 of them will have a gold ball in December. I believe I heard Coach Stubbs say that their goals were to win the conference and make it to the quarterfinals every year. This was back when they were in the MLC. Some may say that the goal should be for a state championship, but Tennessee hasn't accomplished both of their goals since 2004. You have to accomplish the latter goal before you can even think about the possibility of a state championship.

I would argue that it hurts the most to be knocked out earlier then you expect. Tennessee lossed in the 2nd round of the playoffs last year and a lot of people had them scribbled in to play in December. They had a great opportunity to make it that far last year, but the coaching staff and players have to give it 100% in every game even if you drilled the opponent a few weeks earlier. Despite the early playoff loss, winning the Big 8 championship and starting out 11-0 are great and truly memorable things as well.

Winning the conference means a lot to every team. The only time someone would downplay the conference championship is when they're asked, "Would you rather win the conference championship and lose in the 2nd round of the playoffs or come in 2nd in the conference and make it to the semi's or state championship?" They would gladly trade a conference championship for a state championship.