Alcoa Zoning Restrictions

matt_8777

Matback, I have "checked out" of the debate having said my piece, but I noticed a factual (not opinion) error in your post. DII privates can and do offer scholarships which is why they are forced to play in DII while DI privates cannot have any varsity player in any sport who receives financial aid. This applies to everything from football to cheerleading; any varsity sport. Any DI private giving aid to an athlete will find themselves in the same situation as Grace Christian Academy in Knoxville. Just wanted to clear up the confusion.

Please note the difference between "Financial Aid" and 'Scholarship Aid".

Financial aid may be awarded on the basis of NEED, but proof of such need must be filed in the TSSAA

office on forms approved by the Executive Director. In order to determine the basis for need, all

schools awarding financial aid shall use one of the following services in order to determine the

basis for need: FACTS Grant and Aid Assessment (FACTS), Financial Aid for School Tuition

(FAST), School and Student Scholastic Service for Financial Aid (SSS), Family Financial Needs

Assessment (FFNA), Private School Aid Services, or Smart Tuition Aid. (TSSAA Handbook Sec. 16 Para 2.)

Scholarship -MERIT-Based: These awards are based on a student's athletic, academic, artistic or other abilities, and often factor in an applicant's community service record and extracurricular activities.(Wikipedia)

There is a difference, use in proper context.

His tone certainly doesn't sound like someone who is out to "harm Alcoa football." It sounds like he's raising legitimate questions, without in any way belittling what Alcoa has accomplished recently, about whether the landscape needs to be changed, whether that be a multiplier or some amendments to the OOZ rules (to the extent there are any). I'll tell you up front my son is a freshman at CAK. Of course, as a CAK fan I feel some frustration at what Alcoa has done to our playoff hopes in the last couple of years, but I don't want to succeed by dragging somebody else down. However, if the current rules, or lack thereof, skew the landscape, rule changes should at least be discussed and considered, and surely true Alcoa fans would not shirk from that debate or stoop to imputing dishonorable motives to the people who think rule changes should be at least considered.

Many of the Alcoa fans who are posting on this subject seem to be taking the high road, which I respect. Some, unfortunately, are resorting to namecalling and casting as villains anybody who has the audacity to say this is a legitimate issue for debate. Alcoa has a great tradition, but there are a lot of good teams around the state, and many of them have very good coaches and probably work just as hard as the boys at Alcoa, and yet nobody...nobody can beat them... for years in a row? You don't see that kind of extended domination...of an entire state...in very many places. You certainly have a lot more parity in the NFL, when a team can go from the cellar to the cellar to the Super Bowl in a year or two. Similarly, there is much more parity in the NCAA than exists in TSSAA 3A; two national championships in a row is an extremely rare feat anymore. And yet somehow Alcoa wins oodles of state championships in a row. Perhaps it's just something in the water in Alcoa that makes the players who grow up there so much better than anywhere else in TN. I know that's an outrageous proposition--but that's kind of what you're suggesting.

Some of your fellow Alcoa fans are taking the high road and discussing this issue without being mean-spirited to the posters who are simply raising legitimate questions--in a respectful way. It would be nice if you would do likewise.

To be frank, outside of the school administration, I do not know who knows the real numbers. I surely don't know the real number.But if makes you happy, my son is out of zone. You have confirmed one! How's that for being truthful? Now, once again, come clean and state your real intent...to harm Alcoa football. You want T$$AA to do something about it. You want a multiplier added to Alcoa. BTW, go ahead, we beat the 6A teams so what's that going to prove? Most importantly, you want your program to have a chance at a State Champiionship. Who are you? Goodpasture, Camden, Milan? CAK? Loudon? Come clean.

Just my two cents here. I am an Alcoa graduate and was an out of zone student athlete who lived in Townsend. I went to Alcoa my entire life. Two of the reasons I went to Alcoa have already been brought up: better academics and the small school atmosphere. However, one of the reasons my parents sent me to Alcoa was because of the after school daycare program at the elementary school. Both of my parents were working professionals who did not get off work until 5 or so and could not pick me up right after school. Alcoa offered a great after school program that was also available in the summer from 8-5. I do not know if this after school program still exists, but at the time it was the only one in the county. Point is, Alcoa, and Maryville too, offer more as a school system then any other places in the state whether it is sports, academics, or whatever. If you had the choice as a parent, and had the means to do it, you would be depriving your child of a better education by not sending them to Alcoa or Maryville.

Sounds like you and your parents made a good decision to send you to Alcoa. No problem with that at all. But I DO NOT agree with your last sentence. I had the choice as a parent to send my kids to a city school and I/we chose not to (the we included wife and my kids). All three of my kids attended Fairview, Carpenters, and William Blount high and all three are above average students (not based on school to school comparisons, but based on their national test scores).

As for kids and their parents deciding to send their "county" kids to the "city" schools ... well that's just life. We county folk can't whine about it , we need to work on improving our schools and our school system. For me, as a "county kid" myself, I realized I couldn't do that by abandoning the school system ... I decided to put my money where my mouth was and stay put. That was my choice, just as other parents who made a different decision exercised their choice.

I will say this ... and this is as close to a whine as you might hear from me. I get tired of a whole lot of folks using the "better education" angle to justify their choice. Yes, obviously if you look at across-the-board test scores, the city schools score higher than the county schools. Lots of variables involved that that I won't get in to. BUT ... HAVING SAID THAT ... almost to a person, the kids--and parents-- that I personally know who have chose Maryville or Alcoa over William Blount have done so because of football. Pure and simple. That's okay ... just own it.

GovMan's yearly sermon is now over. Stars-n-Bars ... could you lead us in a couple of verses of "Just As I Am"?

Sounds like you and your parents made a good decision to send you to Alcoa. No problem with that at all. But I DO NOT agree with your last sentence. I had the choice as a parent to send my kids to a city school and I/we chose not to (the we included wife and my kids). All three of my kids attended Fairview, Carpenters, and William Blount high and all three are above average students (not based on school to school comparisons, but based on their national test scores).

As for kids and their parents deciding to send their "county" kids to the "city" schools ... well that's just life. We county folk can't whine about it , we need to work on improving our schools and our school system. For me, as a "county kid" myself, I realized I couldn't do that by abandoning the school system ... I decided to put my money where my mouth was and stay put. That was my choice, just as other parents who made a different decision exercised their choice.

I will say this ... and this is as close to a whine as you might hear from me. I get tired of a whole lot of folks using the "better education" angle to justify their choice. Yes, obviously if you look at across-the-board test scores, the city schools score higher than the county schools. Lots of variables involved that that I won't get in to. BUT ... HAVING SAID THAT ... almost to a person, the kids--and parents-- that I personally know who have chose Maryville or Alcoa over William Blount have done so because of football. Pure and simple. That's okay ... just own it.

GovMan's yearly sermon is now over. Stars-n-Bars ... could you lead us in a couple of verses of "Just As I Am"?

Enterestin' points Gov-Man....Whut abowt tha kids that live inn tha city and thay go two tha county skools???....Tha ones eye've knowed musta done hit fer tha baskitbawl ........"Just as I am, without one plea"......... :thumb:

Edited by STARSNBARS

Wow, things are really getting good now. Names of players that were OOZ from last year have come out, actual FACTUAL information has come out, and swingjuice has resurfaced from his trolling around on Camden threads!!! This is good stuff. Funny that there is so much name calling and finger pointing when the thread just asked a simple unbiased nondegrading question....

Edited by matt_8777

[

Love your sermons. So invigorating. Let's look at some facts:

PSK12.com rating based upon State of TN data as of 2006

WB: Overall: 195.4, Math: 45.2, Science:75.3

Alcoa: Overall: 296, Math: 98, Science 99

Not even close.

Superior academics is the icing on the cake that makes the decision so automatic for us parents with good athletes who are also excellent students.

Love ya Govman. You are a great rep for WB. But life is short and you only get one chance to get it right with your kids future. Thus, I went with a sure bet with great football, excellent academics, discipline, diversity, and opportunity for college scholarships. Alcoa wins hands down on all accounts.

Let me start off with saying I graduated from Alcoa in 81.I came into the system in the middle of my seventh grade.It was Alcoa junior High back in the day.I transfered in from Forest hill.My parents had just divorced,and I went to live with my grandparents in Alcoa.I had to pay because they were not my legal guardians.the first person to befriend me was kid named Todd Upton or as everyone called him BIG UP.Until that time all I ever knew was white people,now here I was going to a new school with not only white kids I did not know,but around black kids I had never been around before.I soon found out that was the least of my problems.I was about a year and half behind what was being taught.I was in serious danger of being set back.I had made good grades in the past,but they were so far ahead of anything I had done.The teachers worked with me to get me up to speed and I passed on to the eighth grade.When I got to High school.I got to pick the classes I wanted to attend,or so I thought.I was called to Mrs.Upton's office(BIG UP'S mom)I sat down and she said child were going to have a talk ,which turned out to me having a listen.She scratched out most of what I wanted to do and put in what I was going to do.She always said she would never give me more than what I was able to handle.She always called us her children.It did not matter to her that I was white and she was black,she loved all her white children like she loved her black children and she wanted you to succeed in school and life.She is great lady.I played football,but was never great.I loved every minute at Alcoa and have made lifelong friends.I knew everyone in school and everyone knew me.There is so much more to going to Alcoa than just football,but you would just of had to of gone there to see what I mean.So when you say football is why these kids come to Alcoa,why don't you ask the kids why they go.I bet you get an answer you do not want to hear.

Scots50 ... obviously you made a good and well-educated decision. I believe I did also. Thanks for the info--if you'll check I already acknowledged the difference in test scores. However, there is no such thing as a "sure bet". I can show you plenty of Alcoa graduates that failed at the college level. I can show you plenty of WB graduates who thrived at the college level. And visa-versa.

Honestly, had WB been a football powerhouse a few years back, with a long winning streak and several state championships and had Alcoa been a perennial losing program, would you still have made the same decision? For you, you might be able to answer yes ... but you would be in a very, very small minority.

I love you to Scots ... but I'll stand by my statement. I've been around here for a long time, just as you have. And by the way ... you've done pretty darn well for a county school graduate! :thumb:

Let's move on friend . Good luck to the Tornadoes and good luck to your kids. They have "done good". I know you are proud and rightfully so.