Power District 14A

shockernation

Quickness is definitely not one of Perry County's strengths, but none of the teams in their district have the quickness of Lake County . Figured they would have a hard time with Lake County's speed and athleticism. Perry only has two really strong players in Simmons (the PG) and Starkey (the bigger W/F). Those two can fill it up and will play hard. The rest of the team is average at best, and none of the others play hard. Simmons and Starkey are enough to beat a lot of teams with limited speed and athleticism like themselves (like Greenfield), but taking down someone like Lake County is a huge challenge for them. Nice to see a 12A team venturing up to 14A to play some of their teams. You can't fault Perry County's schedule, as they are not shying away from the competition. This type of game will benefit both Perry County and Lake County in the long run.

Uh...when Greenfield played Perry Co. our starting PG was hurt...did not play. Also, Greenfield could not buy a basket that afternoon...missed numerous open shots...some of them under the goal...shot 50% from the FT line...and still nearly beat Perry Co.

Anyway, I was a little surprised that Lake Co. didnt beat Perry Co. by more at Tiptonville.

Also, you're right about the PG and Starkey on Perry Co. They are very good ball players.

Maybe we'll meet again, when Greenfield is playing at full strength...and corrects the FT shooting problem...our girls are usually a lot better at hitting FT's than what they've been this year.

Based on what I saw today at UTM, Lake County is the clear favorite in 14A. Greenfield is a distant second, simply because they struggled at times with handling the ball and limiting turnovers (even at times when they weren't pressured heavily). Galey was even forced to run the point at some points today when teams applied a lot of pressure. Bradford looked really bad early against Riverside, but decent later on in the day. I think Humboldt would beat Bradford, and Union City would give them a run. South Fulton also looked decent as well and can hang around with any of those three on a given night. South Fulton has one really good playmaker on their team that if she continues to get better would be a major problem for the teams they face. Neither Peabody or Halls looked particularly strong. After today, I would go with:

1. Lake County

2. Greenfield

3. Humboldt

4. Bradford

5. Union City

6. South Fulton

7. Peabody

8. Halls

I think the top two and the bottom two are pretty much set. However, 3rd through 6th could go any number of ways. I see a lot of good games between those four teams this year. I also expect those four teams to challenge Greenfield nightly, and at least a couple of them will probably hang around with Lake County long enough to give them a scare.

You maybe just about right the way they are. Humboldt i have seen them play and better than i thought! If Johnson would teach the kids how to square up and shoot. Humboldt could be a contender for District. Lady Vikings play hard if you beat them i promise you won't out hustle them! Because they will get on the boards they just can't shoot! They will usually get three or looks at the basket! I guess i'm trying to say is don't sleep on them they are still dangerous team without Hubble!

Edited by zebra99

Uh...when Greenfield played Perry Co. our starting PG was hurt...did not play. Also, Greenfield could not buy a basket that afternoon...missed numerous open shots...some of them under the goal...shot 50% from the FT line...and still nearly beat Perry Co.

Anyway, I was a little surprised that Lake Co. didnt beat Perry Co. by more at Tiptonville.

Also, you're right about the PG and Starkey on Perry Co. They are very good ball players.

Maybe we'll meet again, when Greenfield is playing at full strength...and corrects the FT shooting problem...our girls are usually a lot better at hitting FT's than what they've been this year.

I know it's part of the game but remember T.T. didn't play but the first 3 minutes of the 3rd quarter.She didn't play for about 4 minutes of the 3rd quarter and none of the 4th quarter.Carnation Hart was out the whole second quarter with 3 fouls by basically touch fouls on the press.Didn't put her back in until the 3rd quarter.Take Jordan Gailey off the Greenfield team for a half and doubt they're the same team..Plus combine the two techs.One came when a PC girl was shooting.She got two shots ..made them both..plus the tech shots which she made and the ball.A big swing.And that happened twice.Lake Co is 15 to 20 points better on just about any night these two teams were to play.

Lake Co is going to press and play that close man to man.Sometimes playing defense,players will use their bodies a little to keep the ball handler from going around.Dyer Co boys do this very well.If the officials are going to call the game that close..plays against Lake Co.If the officials let them play and don't call the little knick -knack fouls ..then Lake co is ok.

Edited by mrbigster

Boy this looks like a wild year in 14A girls basketball. Humboldt gets their first win of the year against Greenfield. Just my opinion but last years Humboldt team is 20 points better than this years Humboldt team. The Lake County/Perry County score really surprises me but not really. Lake County is head and shoulders above everybody in 14A but without T.T. Flowers, Lake County is just an average team. Perry County has the same team that Greenfield beat easily last year in both games that they played. Greenfield can be very good or they can lose to any team in our district. When Bradford lost Molly Wallsmith they lost alot and they cant be as good this year as shown by their loss to Gleason. I say all of that to say the district is probably down but you better come ready to play every night because no team is unbeatable. Lake County is pretty much the team to beat when TT is on the floor but TT plays out of control at times and could get in foul trouble any night.

Edited by Greenfieldfan

Boy this looks like a wild year in 14A girls basketball. Humboldt gets their first win of the year against Greenfield. Just my opinion but last years Humboldt team is 20 points better than this years Humboldt team. The Lake County/Perry County score really surprises me but not really. Lake County is head and shoulders above everybody in 14A but without T.T. Flowers, Lake County is just an average team. Perry County has the same team that Greenfield beat easily last year in both games that they played. Greenfield can be very good or they can lose to any team in our district. When Bradford lost Molly Wallsmith they lost alot and they cant be as good this year as shown by their loss to Gleason. I say all of that to say the district is probably down but you better come ready to play every night because no team is unbeatable. Lake County is pretty much the team to beat when TT is on the floor but TT plays out of control at times and could get in foul trouble any night.

I'll agree that T.T. is the player that makes them go and no doubt they are a better team when she's on the floor.Just her hustle and steals alone are big and adds to a lot of points.Plus she sets a lot of players up for easy baskets. Carnation Hart is one of the best players around also.Very quick and can run like a deer.Up until last night,I thought Simone Pearson was looking the best overall.Not sa fast or flashy as the other two girls but very reliable.I think the other key before the season is over is going to be Tiana Gray.I think she has the best form and the purest shot of anyone on the team.She hit 3 straight last night from way out and was nothing but net.I feel like eventually she'll be the 4th starter.I don't really know why she isn't starting.Maybe bringing her along slowly or maybe because she's still a freshman.But she shoots better than the other two girls overall and as far as defense.she's better than one of them entirely.I could stand out there and beat one of the girls that is starting when she plays defense.All I saw is she's just standing there.She can shoot if she's open but really about it.Still..I'd say a little better than average.

Edited by mrbigster

WHEN BRADFORD LOST WALSMITH THEY LOST A 20 POINT A GAME A GIRL. NOW THEY HAVE 2 20 POINTS A GAME GIRLS AND A COUPLE 10 POINTS A GAME GIRLS. THEY HAVE A BETTER TEAM THAN LAST YEAR. MAYBE NOT A WALSMITH, BUT A BETTER TEAM.

There is no way Bradford is better than last year at this point of the season, you are kidding yourself. Just answer me one question? How in the world did a Gleason team who is way down beat Bradford at Bradford?

I dont really think any of the top teams in 14A are better than they were last year.

Edited by Greenfieldfan

After watching Bradford play last week at Martin, I feel that if they get hitting on all cylinders they could be a very dangerous team in Single A. They aren't a very big team, but they have 2 stud players in Combs and Street. If those 2 get hot around tournament time and the others step up and play some big games, Bradford could surprise this year. That's just my opinion though.

I want to brag on our coaches and the hard work that many girls have put in over the last few years in Greenfield. It hasnt been that long since we didnt win a game in Jr High and our High School team wasnt very good either. Boy, how times have changed. How long has it been since Greenfield has beaten Gleason in girls basketball in every age group. Jr. High is undefeated 15-0 once again, B-Team High School beat Gleason by 28 and High School by 20. And the peewees grades 1-5 are stronger than ever. Its fun to watch girls basketball once again in Greenfield.

Edited by Greenfieldfan

There is no way Bradford is better than last year at this point of the season, you are kidding yourself. Just answer me one question? How in the world did a Gleason team who is way down beat Bradford at Bradford?

I dont really think any of the top teams in 14A are better than they were last year.

How do you explain the loss to humboldt since you are one of the top two teams in 14A?