Riverdale's Future?

Lost Old Dad

workinprogress

"Sounds like a fair weather fan to me. I know you supported the old Riverdale right, before Coach A got there. Well how did Riverdale do before Rankin? I have asked you this question so many times and you just will not answer it. Rankin created a great dynasty at Riverdale. He had the coaching ability and the talent to accomplish that task. There were only two Murfreesboro schools at the time. Times have changed old dad. Now you have Oakland, Riverdale, Siegel, and Blackman with Stewarts Creek on the way. Add to that the rapid growth of the Smyrna area and them becoming really good and you have a completely different landscape than when Rankin was at Riverdale.

If you are a true fan you will support the team. To say this is not the team I once knew sounds to me like you are being a spoiled little brat. Riverdale has had two really good years outperforming most teams in the state and yet it still isnt good enough. What a joke."

Sounds like an assistant Coach that is sweating his job to me. Yes I am 'SPOILED'. I admit I do not like years where we have almost as many losses as we do wins. While 3 or 4 losses a year may be the norm for METRO, Riverdale did NOT accept that until the current coach took over. Is the talent spread out? Yes, but that does not explain the Freshman situation or playing so many both ways or even playing some this year to prepare for the future.

You keep harping on wheter I am a "TRUE FAN", well YES I am. It is a true fan or friend that will tell you the truth when it is not popular to do so.

ORidgeKat

"LOD, I think that numbers are down for most teams across the board. There are a few exceptions, but the 100 man roster 10-12 graders for the most part may be a thing of the past. I have full respect for the Riverdale program as they still lead in our series, 5 games to 2 and I have been to all of those games.

But I do have this one question. Not trying to say I know more than the coach. Just a question, why with all that talent at the skill positions, would Riverdale be married to that wing t offense? Everybody is all packed in there together, has coach A ever thought about spreading the field with all that talent and getting the ball to the playmakers out in space with room to operate."

It is a miracle we pass at ALL. Big part of the problem is we do not usually pass as Coach A keeps insisting the 'PURE' WingT can win it all. Unfortunatle he has never proved it in either 5 or 6A!

The best thing we have had in the last two years were the young men playing QB for us. The one last year won a couple of games for us purely on his guts and heart. This year we were blessed with a QB that throws better on the run than he does in a pocket and a young man named Davenport who played his heart out every game and never quit running. You might have noticed him Friday night.

We have the number of kids to have 100 VARSITY players on the sideline. Unfortunatly between the staff running them off and the fact they do not want to play for a perceived LOSER our numbers are down.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with Metro. You keep knocking Metro but Rutherford Co. is growing more and more and getting more and more like Metro. I doubt it will ever get even close to the same but obviously times have changed from having just Riverdale and Oakland. You really think that Metro teams accept having three and four loss seasons? No they dont, I'll answer it for you. Does it happen? Of course. Just ask La Vergne, Siegel, Blackman for many years, Smyrna for many years, Ravenwood, Centennial, Independence, Wilson Central, Hendersonville, Gallatin, do you want me to go on and on? I can even add Riverdale to that list if you like. A true fan will tell you the truth, but will also support you and find the positives and not harp on the negatives. I true fan will support the team, including the coaches who lead the team.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WoW! You are right only had 6A for two years. Only team who has won 6A ran spread. I guess you think everyone should run spread. What a dumb statement. rankin could have ran wing-t, spread, I, wishbone, single-wing, whatever. He would have won. The reason is that he had all the talent in Rutherford co. Coach A has scored a ton of points. Its not the offense. They give up a to many points. Off should not have to score 28 or more points to win every game. The talent is all over rutherford co. now, compared to when rankin was at riverdale. You better hope you hang on to Coach A and be thankful of the job he has done with the warriors since coach rankin has left. Just my opinion

No team that runs the wing-T has ever won the old 5A or current 6A. As a matter of fact, the last time a team ran it that won the old 4A was 1995.

and if Marryville wanted to run wing-t they would have several. Just saying its talent that makes a coach 99% of the time, every time.

Maryville used to run the wing-T.

And if you think the it's talent alone in Maryville, well, you just go ahead and believe that.

Edited by Solomon

Maryville used to run the wing-T.

And if you think the it's talent alone in Maryville, well, you just go ahead and believe that.

Soloman, you are arguing with a couple of assistants who's job depends on keeping the status quo.

Yes, I am calling it 'METRO' ball and it is NOT a compliment. Better to embarress them to come up than us being lazy and going down to their level!

I am willing to bet Coach Q could cruise R'dales halls and find 24 that could play and they would give the current R'dale squad a good game!

As far as I know, it was just that one year. Hillsboro had great talent and a lot of speed. Those jet plays were game changers.

It's a real conundrum because HHS had all the talent and athleticism at the time to run ANY offense they wanted to.

Aydelott's running the Wing-T and refusing to throw out of it actually greatly hindered HHS against Maryville in consecutive State Championship games, BUT at the same time allowed Aydelott to have much of the great success at HHS.

Soloman, you are arguing with a couple of assistants who's job depends on keeping the status quo.

Yes, I am calling it 'METRO' ball and it is NOT a compliment. Better to embarress them to come up than us being lazy and going down to their level!

I am willing to bet Coach Q could cruise R'dales halls and find 24 that could play and they would give the current R'dale squad a good game!

The amazing thing, to me at least, is the idea that the Wing T is a bad offense. Which offense one runs depends on the talent available. The best coaches are the ones who take what they have and find a way to be most effective with the players they have.

Cleveland High ran out 3 consecutive championships and got the quarter finals of the fourth year without a loss running the Wing T with a group of runners that were something to watch. Florida has won how many championships now running basically the old Single Wing renamed and packaged.

Growth causes many issues. One of which is creating the need for more schools and diluting the talent pool. And much as I dislike agreeing with an Oak Ridge fan,(;) high schoolers are finding more things to do these days rather than spring practice, 2-a-days, and taking up all the time with sports as well. Numbers are down everywhere, and I have seen smaller squads at all the programs I have seen play over the past decade.

<snip>

Cleveland High ran out 3 consecutive championships and got the quarter finals of the fourth year without a loss running the Wing T with a group of runners that were something to watch. <snip>

Those Cobb twins were something else. I watched a lot of the CHS games (including the 93-94-95 state championship games at Vandy) and it was very hard to figure out where the ball was.

A little more trivia, the last team CHS lost to before that run (around 50 something straight wins) was Riverdale in the 92 playoffs.

Edited by StarRaider

I LOVE MY WARRIORS!!!!!

I have a lot to say but i am going to chooses not too. I will point this out...Coach A said in the paper after the loss to OR that we had a little bit better team and we lost...why did we lose...

as far as talent being down I disagree we have PLENTY of talent...

as far as in the past right before Rankin came we had about a 4 year dry spell running the wing T i might add BUT we still won district championships and advance to QTR finals in the playoffs AND right before Rankin came oakland went on a 4 game winning streak against us and to this date they still only have 11 wins against us so while we were not STATE champs we was competitive...

DID i miss any questions about the past? I will answer those