Riverdale's Future?

Lost Old Dad

Don't want to make anybody mad or hurt feelings but Riverdale looked tired and slow as the game went on. They didn't seem to sub as much as Oak Ridge. Your two big men on the line had their hands on their hips by the third quarter...sign of being tired or out of condition. Our kids still hit the weight room every sat morning.

Riverdale has some kids that as they mature will be mighty good ball players. But with all respect to my Riverdale friends Oak ridge just handed it to you. Maybe we will see you next year, I hope so!

Just saying

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE MY WARRIORS!!!!!

I have a lot to say but i am going to chooses not too. I will point this out...Coach A said in the paper after the loss to OR that we had a little bit better team and we lost...why did we lose...

as far as talent being down I disagree we have PLENTY of talent...

as far as in the past right before Rankin came we had about a 4 year dry spell running the wing T i might add BUT we still won district championships and advance to QTR finals in the playoffs AND right before Rankin came oakland went on a 4 game winning streak against us and to this date they still only have 11 wins against us so while we were not STATE champs we was competitive...

DID i miss any questions about the past? I will answer those

Well I am glad you cleared that up for the youngster!!!! Phil Watts had the program winning a lot of games! But back then only the district champ went to the playoffs. One district loss would keep you at home no matter what you were ranked!!! To say 3 or 4 loss seasons were the norm before Rankin may be one of the stupidest things I have read on here!!! But if he is one of the coaches it makes since...like kicking on 3rd down against Oakland when you have struggled in that dept, you just put it on the 2 yrd line, and you run the WING-T!!!!! You are built to RUN!!!! 2 plays, for 2 yards, to beat your rival and top-ranked team!!!!!

As you can tell, I may never get over that!!!LOL

Riverdale opened in the late 70's. I'll round up to 1980. What did Riverdale do from 1980 to 1995? How many gold balls did they win or how many did they even play for? Im just curious since some on here think Riverdale's history has always been that of a gold ball contender. Riverdale was a true contender for about ten years. In that time period you had Riverdale and Oakland and that's it. When Nissan moved to Smyrna all of Rutherford County had a huge explosion in building homes. The talent was very rich and deep. You had a great coach in Rankin who took advantage of this. Now you have added Blackman and Siegel. Plus you have Eagleville now playing too along with MTCS and a host of other Nashville area private schools getting top talent. You may have kids walking the halls. Kids have changed too. Just because you have kids walking the halls does not mean that those kids want to play football. Some may want to concentrate on basketball, baseball, or some other sport. It is becoming more and more rare to see a three sport star athlete. The philosophy here is fifty fifty. Some go coaches go and try and convince those hall walkers to play and some may make a big difference. That difference can be good and it can bite you in the butt too. The other side is do you really want someone on your team that doesnt really want to be there.

Riverdale fans support your team. Riverdale is in good shape for the future. Good coaches, good players, and good fans for the most part. Listen to warhawks and pay no attention to spoiled old dad.

Old dad I respect what you have to say and I am sure your intentions are good. I always enjoy reading your posts. You tell it how you see it. I just wish you would support your team but I know that isnt going to happen. Heck, Riverdale could have won the gold ball this year and you still would be saying Coach A isnt any good and it was all the players doing to win.

I LOVE MY WARRIORS!!!!!

I have a lot to say but i am going to chooses not too. I will point this out...Coach A said in the paper after the loss to OR that we had a little bit better team and we lost...why did we lose...

as far as talent being down I disagree we have PLENTY of talent...

as far as in the past right before Rankin came we had about a 4 year dry spell running the wing T i might add BUT we still won district championships and advance to QTR finals in the playoffs AND right before Rankin came oakland went on a 4 game winning streak against us and to this date they still only have 11 wins against us so while we were not STATE champs we was competitive...

DID i miss any questions about the past? I will answer those

How many gold balls before Rankin? You all have made it to the quarterfinals to past two years and for some it is not good enough.

Well I am glad you cleared that up for the youngster!!!! Phil Watts had the program winning a lot of games! But back then only the district champ went to the playoffs. One district loss would keep you at home no matter what you were ranked!!! To say 3 or 4 loss seasons were the norm before Rankin may be one of the stupidest things I have read on here!!! But if he is one of the coaches it makes since...like kicking on 3rd down against Oakland when you have struggled in that dept, you just put it on the 2 yrd line, and you run the WING-T!!!!! You are built to RUN!!!! 2 plays, for 2 yards, to beat your rival and top-ranked team!!!!!

As you can tell, I may never get over that!!!LOL

So Watts had the program winning a lot of games. Hasnt Coach A done the same thing? So 3 or 4 loss seasons werent the norm? Fill me in, Im a youngster and dont know the overall stats. You know since it is so stupid and all. So if 3 or 4 losses werent the norm then Riverdale must have had a history of going at least 8-2 right? Yet still no gold balls. I would love to know the overall stats before Rankin. I may have to eat my words and if so I will. However, I doubt that would be the case.

Riverdale opened in the late 70's. I'll round up to 1980. What did Riverdale do from 1980 to 1995? How many gold balls did they win or how many did they even play for? Im just curious since some on here think Riverdale's history has always been that of a gold ball contender. Riverdale was a true contender for about ten years. In that time period you had Riverdale and Oakland and that's it. When Nissan moved to Smyrna all of Rutherford County had a huge explosion in building homes. The talent was very rich and deep. You had a great coach in Rankin who took advantage of this. Now you have added Blackman and Siegel. Plus you have Eagleville now playing too along with MTCS and a host of other Nashville area private schools getting top talent. You may have kids walking the halls. Kids have changed too. Just because you have kids walking the halls does not mean that those kids want to play football. Some may want to concentrate on basketball, baseball, or some other sport. It is becoming more and more rare to see a three sport star athlete. The philosophy here is fifty fifty. Some go coaches go and try and convince those hall walkers to play and some may make a big difference. That difference can be good and it can bite you in the butt too. The other side is do you really want someone on your team that doesnt really want to be there.

Riverdale fans support your team. Riverdale is in good shape for the future. Good coaches, good players, and good fans for the most part. Listen to warhawks and pay no attention to spoiled old dad.

Old dad I respect what you have to say and I am sure your intentions are good. I always enjoy reading your posts. You tell it how you see it. I just wish you would support your team but I know that isnt going to happen. Heck, Riverdale could have won the gold ball this year and you still would be saying Coach A isnt any good and it was all the players doing to win.

Riverdale was a contender in the early 80's!! The great Lincoln County team that went 13-1 in 82-83 lost to Riverdale at the pit! Like I said, 1 district loss would keep you at home back then. It just seemed as if a key injury would always pop up! If that system was in place today only Smyrna would have went to the playoffs this year!!! Yes Rankin took the program to levels which may never be seen again, but don't act like earlier teams were not very good. Riverdale was feared back then!!!!

Edited by Mr knowitall

I think another factor in all this is the fact that kids are different now in regards to numbers. Alot of kids are not willing to bust it for three years to play only one year. Also who can fault Coach A for playing his best players both ways. However I will warn you with that philosophy kids will quit and not come out. Some say a tired talent isnt as good as a fresh average player. However the more kids you play the more players you will have on the team. Did Riverdale during Rankin's tenure play kids both ways? Also how many kids did Blackman play both ways? Also for Rankin it comes down to talent. The likes of Ralph King will never be seen again and many other of the players he had to work with. Another question I have is I dont understand why so many Riverdale people complain about the wing t in regards to the spread. As I remember Rankin lined up in the I or 1 back two tights and said I am better than you and ran you over. I understand the wing t is different but its still a run offense. Do you think the spread would help Riverdale win more? Also Oakland the year they won it just ran people over so I am confused by so many complaints about the goal of the offense.

I think another factor in all this is the fact that kids are different now in regards to numbers. Alot of kids are not willing to bust it for three years to play only one year. Also who can fault Coach A for playing his best players both ways. However I will warn you with that philosophy kids will quit and not come out. Some say a tired talent isnt as good as a fresh average player. However the more kids you play the more players you will have on the team. Did Riverdale during Rankin's tenure play kids both ways? Also how many kids did Blackman play both ways? Also for Rankin it comes down to talent. The likes of Ralph King will never be seen again and many other of the players he had to work with. Another question I have is I dont understand why so many Riverdale people complain about the wing t in regards to the spread. As I remember Rankin lined up in the I or 1 back two tights and said I am better than you and ran you over. I understand the wing t is different but its still a run offense. Do you think the spread would help Riverdale win more? Also Oakland the year they won it just ran people over so I am confused by so many complaints about the goal of the offense.

Phil Watts record 72-83, 72(1st year of school)2-6, 73 5-5, 74 7-3, 75 4-6, 76 8-2, 77 7-3, 78 9-1, 79 8-2, 80 7-3, 81 7-3, 82 6-4, 83 8-2.(I wish I had a may to find out State Rankings from this era) Fisher had some very good years right after Watts left but about 3-4 years later the wheels fell off. Rankin got it turned around and took it to the top. I don't have a problem with the current coach, just don't say the program wasn't very good before Rankin!!! Some of us "fair weather fans" who were busting our tails at the beginning of this school take offense to that!!

Phil Watts record 72-83, 72(1st year of school)2-6, 73 5-5, 74 7-3, 75 4-6, 76 8-2, 77 7-3, 78 9-1, 79 8-2, 80 7-3, 81 7-3, 82 6-4, 83 8-2.(I wish I had a may to find out State Rankings from this era) Fisher had some very good years right after Watts left but about 3-4 years later the wheels fell off. Rankin got it turned around and took it to the top. I don't have a problem with the current coach, just don't say the program wasn't very good before Rankin!!! Some of us "fair weather fans" who were busting our tails at the beginning of this school take offense to that!!

Leave it to an oak ridger to get the riverdale football history out :)

http://www.hsfdatabase.com/tn_rdale00.htm

No disrespect intended but thank you for the stats. So from 72 until 83 the overall record was 69-40. Not bad at all. But as you can see there were several 3-4 loss teams in that time span. Its still good no doubt about that. My point is that some posters say if you are not playing for the gold ball then the coach is obviously not doing his job at Riverdale. To me, Riverdale has been pretty good throughout its existence and still is today. Making it to the quarterfinals is really good as is going 8-2 or 9-1 as many of the teams you listed did. Why isnt that good enough? Sure everyone wants to win the gold ball or at least play for it but reality is that it is something that is very hard to do. You shouldnt want to get rid of a coach that has helped the team get to the quarterfinals for two years in a row. Really, no disrespect intended towards Riverdale's history at all.

Edited by workinprogress