6A State Championship: Maryville v. Smyrna

MHSRebels

I think people underestimate Jimmy Gaylors ability to adapt to any offense. The Maryville defense may be smaller than Smyrna's line but they know how to get to the ball and are sure tacklers. Yes Smyrna has speed but Ive watched film on just about every team they played and each team has tried to line up and run it down Smyrna's throat. Maryville is not going to do that. They are going to get them with play action, draws, the option and the best passing attack in the state. Smyrna just cant line up and expect to use their speed to win on offense and defense. Alcoa had speed and size and we barely lost, because we had inexperience. Catholic High line had speed and size but Maryville adjusted and stopped them. Its all about adjustments and I think Maryville can adjust better than Smyrna.

Rankin has had talent that any high school coach in the state could have won with for the last three years. I am not trying to take anything away from Rankin, he obviously is a good coach, but he is not in the same class as George Quarles, IMO. Alcoa had Maryville so out-talented this year and Quarles was one play away from beating him. My friend, you are the one that better think again if you are trying to say that Rankin is a better coach than Quarles.

Stirring the pot...

Only one man has beaten GQ twice.

That is the coach of your six time defending state champions.

Geez, even Scott Meadows beat GQ once.

Stirring the pot...

Only one man has beaten GQ twice.

That is the coach of your six time defending state champions.

Geez, even Scott Meadows beat GQ once.

Yeah, and he has also lost to him twice when he clearly had the superior talent, IMO. When this Alcoa team was in their final year of middle school they beat Maryville 50-0. Fast forward four years and Quarles was within a play of beating him. I am not trying to demean anyone, IMO there is no one in this state on the level of Quarles.

Yeah, and he has also lost to him twice when he clearly had the superior talent, IMO. When this Alcoa team was in their final year of middle school they beat Maryville 50-0. Fast forward four years and Quarles was within a play of beating him. I am not trying to demean anyone, IMO there is no one in this state on the level of Quarles.

Scott Meadows.

Wow I can't believe we have got into the topic of who has a better coach between Alcoa and Maryville. This game is between PH AND GQ. It surprises me that the Maryville fans would continue to slap us up side the head with who has a better coach. ITS IRRELEVANT IN THIS GAME. I guess you can't stand the fact that we just had a better team than you guys the last two year. When Quarles has beaten us he had the better teams. ITS THAT SIMPLE! I'm sure we will have this discussion on another thread one day...

Now onto the game at hand. Maryville will need to have some run and pass plays that have misdirection in them to exploit the fast defense of Smyrna. I have a feeling which pass play will work quite well and I'm sure GQ knows the same thing. Maryville's offensive line needs to give Robinette enough time to throw or run. Robinette needs to have a good game if Maryville is to win. Which he is very capable of doing. The only quarterback I have seen that is better than him this year is Epperly from CAK. Also Maryville needs to gain positive yardage when they do run the football.

Defense will determine if Maryville wins or not. They have to limit Smyrna on the big plays. They need to contain the quarterback from scrambling and making big plays with his feet. Last year that was one of the differences in the title game. They can't give up 4 or 5 yards on first down. If these thing happen then Smyrna will win. If not then the Red Rebels will have their 12th State Championship.

That will be the keys to the game and to the CHAMPIONSHIP! Good luck Red Rebels!!!! Bring it back to the EAST!! :thumb: