Miss Basketball Thread

CoachT

LOL, do you know WHY I don't write about Reedy, Griffin, and Butler anymore.....because they're at UTM, lol. C'mon bigster, common sense man. If TT was at Gibson Co., she'd probably be the best player in the state because she would've came up with McMillan and Russell. I guarantee you she'd be able to use that left hand by now.

I am not writing any more than I was earlier bigster. We are an average team this year. We will probably go into the 13AA tournaments as a 5 seed. You know what, after you graduate 3 big time players, it tends to happen. These wins and losses don't tear me up like they do you LC fans. Losing is a part of the game.

Now to elaborate on TT in foul trouble. I'll let this be known. TT get's in foul trouble because she plays out of control at times. Why do you think she stays in foul trouble so much?

As for Courtney Haynes, she is more fundamental and alot better of a shooter than TT. TT relies off of her speed and athleticism to beat people. Haynes relies off of fundamentals and basketball IQ. Now, what do you have to say about that....

LOL, do you know WHY I don't write about Reedy, Griffin, and Butler anymore.....because they're at UTM, lol. C'mon bigster, common sense man. If TT was at Gibson Co., she'd probably be the best player in the state because she would've came up with McMillan and Russell. I guarantee you she'd be able to use that left hand by now.

I am not writing any more than I was earlier bigster. We are an average team this year. We will probably go into the 13AA tournaments as a 5 seed. You know what, after you graduate 3 big time players, it tends to happen. These wins and losses don't tear me up like they do you LC fans. Losing is a part of the game.

Now to elaborate on TT in foul trouble. I'll let this be known. TT get's in foul trouble because she plays out of control at times. Why do you think she stays in foul trouble so much?

As for Courtney Haynes, she is more fundamental and alot better of a shooter than TT. TT relies off of her speed and athleticism to beat people. Haynes relies off of fundamentals and basketball IQ. Now, what do you have to say about that....

1. Cute!!! ya know he was meaning if they were still there or if this Gibson Co bunch was state tourney bound....

2.No denying the knowledge and coaching ability of Russell or Mcmillian....both great coaches....both deservedly so respected.....so much so that TT and her band of merry country folk that are just happy to be here have been under Russell's and Mcmillian's tutelage yearly.....so much so that the coaches at LC have great respect for them and use Russell's teachings.....(not saying Johnson and Newsom are as great as Russell and McMillian, just sayin that the disrespect you just showed Johnson and Newsom as well as the rest of the people surrounding the program was a little much). The girl's coaches at LC do deserve plenty of respect...The ms coach has coached the west tn state champion or runner up for 4 year's straight.....lost only 1 home game in 4 years.....and maybe only a total of 5 games in 4 years....even at the ms level that is pretty good.....Johnson at the HS will get his respect in due time.....may not ever win a state title....but that alone doesn't make you great...and as far as the left hand goes TT has been making left handed layups since the 4th grade or earlier with consistency....also, she uses her left with a high degree of efficiency while dribbling or passing.....I dont know or understand why you are stuck on her left.....it is a non factor since her freshmen year....she's got it now!!!!!!!!! The 2 skills or areas she needed to work on after her freshmen year were her shooting (improved tremendously and will continue to do so) and her tendency to get in foul trouble (needs improvement, however she does get of the bus with one foul on her already...O yeah one travel as well.....referees dont think girls can do the things TT does)

3. Not sure she would be the best player in the state under anybody's tutelage.....lotta of great ones this year.....also she is prolly not far from where she belongs at this point in her career....

4. The speed and athleticism remark is bunk.....she can and does beat people off of speed and athleticism, however and I have been around speed and athelticism without fundamentals and that is not TT....go to Memphis.....go to Jackson and you will see more speed and athleticism than you could ever imagine......but alot of them couldn't hold TT or Butler's Tennis Shoes.....even though they were better athletes.....just b/c TT uses athleticism to beat people doesn't mean she has no fundamentals nor court savy.....TT has an extremely high basketball IQ close or as good as Haynes.....my comment could be shes just a shooter thats all....I know different......just that TT's better skill is quickness and ballhandling at a high rate of speed (have seen girls faster that couldnt keep up with thier dribble).....Haynes is shooting.....both can be worked on and improved......

5. TT does have the Jordan affect on her teammates....Scottie Pippen was nowhere near as good without him.....neither were the rest of the Bulls he played with......TT raises the level of her teammates play more than any I have seen in a long while.....it is a visible difference her will to win and her will to pull teammates to her level!!!

GC time to give credit where credit is due.....TT is not the best thing since sliced bread.....but I but not a HS team in Tennessee would turn her down if she showed up on their doorstep ready to play!!!! If TT were at GC or OC or Dyersburg or Westview or .....they would prolly be contenders!!!! TT should be nominated this year....I dont believe she will win it this year.....her year is next year!!! You heard it form me first!!!! LOL!!!!

hmmmmmm!!!!!

sbl

1. Cute!!! ya know he was meaning if they were still there or if this Gibson Co bunch was state tourney bound....

2.No denying the knowledge and coaching ability of Russell or Mcmillian....both great coaches....both deservedly so respected.....so much so that TT and her band of merry country folk that are just happy to be here have been under Russell's and Mcmillian's tutelage yearly.....so much so that the coaches at LC have great respect for them and use Russell's teachings.....(not saying Johnson and Newsom are as great as Russell and McMillian, just sayin that the disrespect you just showed Johnson and Newsom as well as the rest of the people surrounding the program was a little much). The girl's coaches at LC do deserve plenty of respect...The ms coach has coached the west tn state champion or runner up for 4 year's straight.....lost only 1 home game in 4 years.....and maybe only a total of 5 games in 4 years....even at the ms level that is pretty good.....Johnson at the HS will get his respect in due time.....may not ever win a state title....but that alone doesn't make you great...and as far as the left hand goes TT has been making left handed layups since the 4th grade or earlier with consistency....also, she uses her left with a high degree of efficiency while dribbling or passing.....I dont know or understand why you are stuck on her left.....it is a non factor since her freshmen year....she's got it now!!!!!!!!! The 2 skills or areas she needed to work on after her freshmen year were her shooting (improved tremendously and will continue to do so) and her tendency to get in foul trouble (needs improvement, however she does get of the bus with one foul on her already...O yeah one travel as well.....referees dont think girls can do the things TT does)

3. Not sure she would be the best player in the state under anybody's tutelage.....lotta of great ones this year.....also she is prolly not far from where she belongs at this point in her career....

4. The speed and athleticism remark is bunk.....she can and does beat people off of speed and athleticism, however and I have been around speed and athelticism without fundamentals and that is not TT....go to Memphis.....go to Jackson and you will see more speed and athleticism than you could ever imagine......but alot of them couldn't hold TT or Butler's Tennis Shoes.....even though they were better athletes.....just b/c TT uses athleticism to beat people doesn't mean she has no fundamentals nor court savy.....TT has an extremely high basketball IQ close or as good as Haynes.....my comment could be shes just a shooter thats all....I know different......just that TT's better skill is quickness and ballhandling at a high rate of speed (have seen girls faster that couldnt keep up with thier dribble).....Haynes is shooting.....both can be worked on and improved......

5. TT does have the Jordan affect on her teammates....Scottie Pippen was nowhere near as good without him.....neither were the rest of the Bulls he played with......TT raises the level of her teammates play more than any I have seen in a long while.....it is a visible difference her will to win and her will to pull teammates to her level!!!

GC time to give credit where credit is due.....TT is not the best thing since sliced bread.....but I but not a HS team in Tennessee would turn her down if she showed up on their doorstep ready to play!!!! If TT were at GC or OC or Dyersburg or Westview or .....they would prolly be contenders!!!! TT should be nominated this year....I dont believe she will win it this year.....her year is next year!!! You heard it form me first!!!! LOL!!!!

hmmmmmm!!!!!

sbl

You can't fool us.You have got to be from Lake Co using another name instead of LC wild falcon...T.T. used her left hand several times tonight and made about 3 left handed layups.GC should have been there to see it.Tiana Gray didn'r play at all tonight and Shamone Pearson probably led Lake Co in scoring and a lot was because of T.T...Case in point.Lake Co got a steal and T.T and Shamone were in the open on a break with Trenton players trailing.T.T. could have scored an easy layup.She was all alone.She passed the ball to Shamone for an east 2 points.That's what makes T.T. the player she is.

Edited by mrbigster

Jordan Galey of Greenfield should be considered for Miss Basketball this year as well. I know I've seen her name mentioned on here already in a few posts. She's not flashy, but is a total workhorse on the court. She's been a four year starter for Greenfield and has led her team in scoring every year since her Freshman year. That year she also was runner up for Jackson Sun's newcomer of the year. She along with a couple of other players were highly overlooked last year for the all state team in class A (Molly Wallsmith to name one). I'm not sure who does the voting and nominating for this award but the West TN area in single A was overlooked last year. She is a tremendous player, extremely versatile, and I've seen her play every position on the floor on any given night and does it well. She's past the 1500 point mark in scoring and leads her team in steals, free throw percentage, assists, points, and three pointers (46%)via Jackson Sun. She's made the all district team every year as well as the All West TN team each year. Lots of superb players out there. Just hope she's considered. I haven't seen all players across the state but just putting in a good word on a great player. Good luck to all and also on the rest of their seasons.

I have only three things:

1. The numbers beside the names of the players who I believe are the frontrunners is not an indicator of which of those five I believe should be the nominees. For example, just becuase Carly Daniel (Wayne County) is listed at the "1." does not mean I believe she is anymore of a favorite than say the person who is at the "5." I just numbered them and put the names down for those five spots. The numbers mean nothing. In hindsight, I should have put bullets beside those players names. The star beside Barbee's name indicates that I feel she should clearly be the winner.

2. In AAA, you could literally throw 15 - 18 players' names in a hat, draw three at random, and have three great nominees. AAA is very deep this year. There are three teams that have multiple girls that could get a nomination based on individual play (Clarksville, Riverdale, and Memphis Central). Barbee is a done deal in my opinion as far as a nomination. Those other two spots are up in the air, and any number of girls could get those two nominations. Muhammad should likely be in the favorites, but it was tough to choose five only (and I set myself to that limit). I am big on Kerstetter as the one performance I saw of her this season was absolutely unbelievable. Very few of us were aware of how special she is as a player as she was the best kept secret in Tennessee coming into this season. Could you replace her with Muhammad? Certainly.

3. Lastly, I take more into consideration a team's strength of schedule and the individual's performance against that type of schedule than I do a team's overall record. A great team can be made up of solid players at all five spots and have some depth on the bench. However, they may not have a "star" player. The best player in a class may not necessarily be on a team with a great record, and certainly may not be on a team that is "ranked" by the AP. A great example of this that comes to mind was Meredith Richardson at Bradford in both 2003 and 2004. Was Richardson the best player in Class A that year? It is debatable, but I believe so. Did her team have a great record in either of those years? Not even close, they were 13-19 in 02/03 and 11-16 in 03/04. She is a prime example of a great player on a not so great team that won Miss Basketball because of her individual accomplishments and performances, not her team's record.

Those of you who know me on here, know I see a lot of basketball year round. I see more teams and players than 99% of the people in Tennessee as I roam around watching whoever I want each night (I was at Hickman County and Page tonight) and I follow the AAU/Club ball scene every summer. These are my opinions and nothing more. Many respect them, but others could care less. Me posting who I think the favorites are won't have much of an impact. However, I have had four individuals so far this year with ballots who have e-mailled me asking for my input on players. Last year, I had nine. Keep in mind, these are only nominations people. A committee will sit down and look at all of the players nominated and decide who the three Miss Basketball nominees will be. Very likely, most of the players I mentioned (and some I did not) will be sent in on a nomination form. The committee will then decide on the three nominees. Some great players will get recognized, and a lot of other great players will be left off.

You are right on Barbee and Kerstetter. Barbee is a lock but bball folks would appreciate Kerstetter. Tonite Franklin played Brentwood who was without their point guard so Kerstetter played point guard, shooting guard, and forward. She had 35 points, a bunch of rebounds, and many assists. Just a complete player that folks don't know about. Averaging over 20 points and 10 rebounds from the guard position and was district player of the year over Isabelle Harrison last year. Too bad Barbee is around or she'd have a chance!

I have only three things:

1. The numbers beside the names of the players who I believe are the frontrunners is not an indicator of which of those five I believe should be the nominees. For example, just becuase Carly Daniel (Wayne County) is listed at the "1." does not mean I believe she is anymore of a favorite than say the person who is at the "5." I just numbered them and put the names down for those five spots. The numbers mean nothing. In hindsight, I should have put bullets beside those players names. The star beside Barbee's name indicates that I feel she should clearly be the winner.

2. In AAA, you could literally throw 15 - 18 players' names in a hat, draw three at random, and have three great nominees. AAA is very deep this year. There are three teams that have multiple girls that could get a nomination based on individual play (Clarksville, Riverdale, and Memphis Central). Barbee is a done deal in my opinion as far as a nomination. Those other two spots are up in the air, and any number of girls could get those two nominations. Muhammad should likely be in the favorites, but it was tough to choose five only (and I set myself to that limit). I am big on Kerstetter as the one performance I saw of her this season was absolutely unbelievable. Very few of us were aware of how special she is as a player as she was the best kept secret in Tennessee coming into this season. Could you replace her with Muhammad? Certainly.

3. Lastly, I take more into consideration a team's strength of schedule and the individual's performance against that type of schedule than I do a team's overall record. A great team can be made up of solid players at all five spots and have some depth on the bench. However, they may not have a "star" player. The best player in a class may not necessarily be on a team with a great record, and certainly may not be on a team that is "ranked" by the AP. A great example of this that comes to mind was Meredith Richardson at Bradford in both 2003 and 2004. Was Richardson the best player in Class A that year? It is debatable, but I believe so. Did her team have a great record in either of those years? Not even close, they were 13-19 in 02/03 and 11-16 in 03/04. She is a prime example of a great player on a not so great team that won Miss Basketball because of her individual accomplishments and performances, not her team's record.

Those of you who know me on here, know I see a lot of basketball year round. I see more teams and players than 99% of the people in Tennessee as I roam around watching whoever I want each night (I was at Hickman County and Page tonight) and I follow the AAU/Club ball scene every summer. These are my opinions and nothing more. Many respect them, but others could care less. Me posting who I think the favorites are won't have much of an impact. However, I have had four individuals so far this year with ballots who have e-mailled me asking for my input on players. Last year, I had nine. Keep in mind, these are only nominations people. A committee will sit down and look at all of the players nominated and decide who the three Miss Basketball nominees will be. Very likely, most of the players I mentioned (and some I did not) will be sent in on a nomination form. The committee will then decide on the three nominees. Some great players will get recognized, and a lot of other great players will be left off.

Jordan Galey of Greenfield should be considered for Miss Basketball this year as well. I know I've seen her name mentioned on here already in a few posts. She's not flashy, but is a total workhorse on the court. She's been a four year starter for Greenfield and has led her team in scoring every year since her Freshman year. That year she also was runner up for Jackson Sun's newcomer of the year. She along with a couple of other players were highly overlooked last year for the all state team in class A (Molly Wallsmith to name one). I'm not sure who does the voting and nominating for this award but the West TN area in single A was overlooked last year. She is a tremendous player, extremely versatile, and I've seen her play every position on the floor on any given night and does it well. She's past the 1500 point mark in scoring and leads her team in steals, free throw percentage, assists, points, and three pointers (46%)via Jackson Sun. She's made the all district team every year as well as the All West TN team each year. Lots of superb players out there. Just hope she's considered. I haven't seen all players across the state but just putting in a good word on a great player. Good luck to all and also on the rest of their seasons.

I agree with you about Jordan.Not flashy but at the end of the day,she gets the job done.I've always liked Jordan.I have T.T. Carnation,Jordan,as my top 3 in the district.West Tenn players are always seemingly over looked.The All State team had 3 girls ff one team that made all state and they finished 3rd in their district.Jordan Gailey and T.T. was on the list of the 15 players.No way tyhere were 15 players better than them in Single A

Edited by mrbigster

mitensportsfan, no doubt there is some good bball played your way I have seen it first hand b/c I have not always lived in West TN. With that said this LC team is as good as any and will be a difficult out for any team. Glad you are a fan and not a coach since you got that gold ball all shined up an in the trophy case this year. I believe Lake Co., Wayne Co. and Moore Co. may have something to say about that though. Also there is a little basketball played here in West TN case in point I believe Gibson Co., Bradford, Gleason have a few gold balls in the trophy case as well.

mitensportsfan, no doubt there is some good bball played your way I have seen it first hand b/c I have not always lived in West TN. With that said this LC team is as good as any and will be a difficult out for any team. Glad you are a fan and not a coach since you got that gold ball all shined up an in the trophy case this year. I believe Lake Co., Wayne Co. and Moore Co. may have something to say about that though. Also there is a little basketball played here in West TN case in point I believe Gibson Co., Bradford, Gleason have a few gold balls in the trophy case as well.

There are several teams that have a great chance this year.And as far as Miss Basketball.I hope she wins or at least gets nominated and whoever wins,Congrats.Same as to the state.There could be any one of several teams.I'm through as far as Miss Basketball.If Carly Daniels wins..I'm sure she deserves it and hopefully we'll get to see in person.Good luck to all the nominees.

• 2 weeks later...

You can't fool us.You have got to be from Lake Co using another name instead of LC wild falcon...T.T. used her left hand several times tonight and made about 3 left handed layups.GC should have been there to see it.Tiana Gray didn'r play at all tonight and Shamone Pearson probably led Lake Co in scoring and a lot was because of T.T...Case in point.Lake Co got a steal and T.T and Shamone were in the open on a break with Trenton players trailing.T.T. could have scored an easy layup.She was all alone.She passed the ball to Shamone for an east 2 points.That's what makes T.T. the player she is.

children, lets calm down! why bring butler, reedy, and griffin into this as they proved their point to everyone last year and the year before. if pioneer was proud of his team then let him have that. dont think he ever got bent out shape like what is going on this year. it is just his opinion which he is entitled to. futhermore, flowers shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence with butler. butler doesnt care about showing off, the stats, but just winning. when she steps on the court she makes the team better and still is busting records as a d1 freshman just as she did in hs. best leave her out of this mess. and yes im from gc.

Edited by justthefacts

children, lets calm down! why bring butler, reedy, and griffin into this as they proved their point to everyone last year and the year before. if pioneer was proud of his team then let him have that. dont think he ever got bent out shape like what is going on this year. it is just his opinion which he is entitled to. futhermore, flowers shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence with butler. butler doesnt care about showing off, the stats, but just winning. when she steps on the court she makes the team better and still is busting records as a d1 freshman just as she did in hs. best leave her out of this mess. couldnt anyone hold her back since she started playing bb in the 2nd grade and is currently the leading freshman scorer in womens d1 as she has been for most of the year. and yes im from gc.

Ok Child.Miss Butler is the best player to ever come from West Tenn.She's a pretty good player A lot of difference between playing at Martin and being a high scoring freshman and a college like Texas and Tenn where they play against top notch competion just about every game..I brought Butler and the others into the converation only as to the fact that for the past two years couldn't come on here without a post from Pioneer.This year not so much.But they are winning and he's on more.And also because he's usually negative about T.T. or Lake Co.T.T. can't dribble.Lake Co or Carnation doesn't have the height to stop Miss Basketball from Jackson co.Wasn't it Clay Co that just beat them.Someone must have done something.Now see he's picking Bradford against Lake Co.That could very well happen but I seem to see a pattern.If Lake Co switched jerseys and it was the same players wearing Gibson co jerseys and had beaten Bradford twice already,would he have predicted that.We all know he doesn't want Lake Co to win.And that's fine.Like you said.he has his right to that.You do also.And so do I.I don't mind stirring the pot.I give credit where it is do.When Lake Co hasn't played well,I've come on here and said they didn't look like a top team.When they play like they played against Bradford,Union City and a couple more games,could beat any Single a teams.They may lose tonight.They may not make it to state.We all realize there are teams capapable of winning on a given night.But when little T.T. is on the floor,the player that can't dribble with her left hand,can't shoot,can't run,fouls way too much,still Lake Co is a tough team to beat.Can't figutre that out.Why are they better with her on the floor since she can't do anything?I know as soon as Lake Co loses,if they do..going to be I told you so about T.T. and the rest of the Lady Falcons.You can beat teams by 30 points every game and have that 1 game when you lose and people are going to say,they wasn't that good.Same for Scotts Hill.They are going to have to win it all to stop the naysayers.Shouldn't be that way.They made the State last year,just about or all of them back and there are still some doubters.Just going to take 1 game for either of us from going to a good team to a team that must not have been that good.Lake Co may not win it all,maybe won't get past the region.Lake Co didn't invent basketball like some folks in Gibson Co think the Pioneers did.I sure hope T.T. plays decent tonight.After all ,we are in Gibson Co tonight even though it is in Trenton and I'm sure Pioneer will be there..maybe some more Gibson co fans and if T.T. can't dribble tonight,I'm sure we'll hear all about it.Heaven forbif if she has a bad game.She scored 9 against Halls a couple nights ago in about a half and Carnation had about 25 points.So I guess it depends on what people look as a bad game.Wonder how Carnation got so many points.I'm sure T.T. wasn't a part of it.

Edited by mrbigster

Tell it like it is Bigster!! Bottomline is when you are good you are going to have haters. Anyway TT is getting alot of attention from scouts UT-Martin, UTC etc. and has a good head on her shoulders so I expect her to sign somewhere, whether these others think she can play or not. Feel she should be up for Miss Basketball, my opinion others may differ that is fine but I believe she is a top 3 player in Single A in the state.