South Pitt and Signal Mountain scared of Alcoa

ckyfan

I will defend Grider, even though Roy will not like it. Why in the world would you play a tough physical game a couple weeks from the playoffs with the chance of getting a star banged up? It makes absolute no sense and Grider did the right thing for not playing this game. Now Price could play them I think since they have depth, or did last year at least. Sp and Signal are both great teams, but they are no ALCOA. Just like Goodpasture and Maryville. All great teams but can't handle the Tornadoes. I would gather to say that Alcoas 2nd string is just as good if not better than pitt an signals first stringers. Thats the difference folks. DEPTH and physicality. Roy is right...weights do matter...and that is why they are dominant...they hit the weights hard at Alcoa..Smart play on the coaches part not playing them

Alcoa has beaten Maryville the last 2 years. No excuses from me. The game in 2009 was a beatdown. The game in 2010 was a great one that Alcoa won 35-31. Before these last 2 years Maryville won 14 out of the last 15 from Alcoa.

Of course, you would not win. However, some Sp folks whine about teams that will not play the Pirate. SP will not play Alcoa.

We only bring up the teams in our classification 1a/2a. The fact is SP couldn't dress out 96 players if every guy in 9-12 signed up for football. On top of that, their roster isn't padded by guys from Austin-East, Loudon, all over Blunt County etc. that could start at their respective schools paying $500 to play on a 3A state title team. Lastly, SP isn't sitting in a suburb like Alcoa is to make that work. I guess Grider could go up to Jasper and get their 3 best players and have them pay SPHS $500 to play on a 1a state title team and go up to Whitwell and do the same thing for their best player. Maybe Lookout Valley has a couple of guys that would be willing to pay $500 to play in Cookeville. :thumb:

Edit: Here is a novel Idea. Perhaps that Rankin man can get a couple of buses and pay SP and TC to play with his boys and move up to Division II NCAA and play North Alabama, Valdosta and Carson Newman next year. :roflol:

Edited by rlh

Of course, you would not win. However, some Sp folks whine about teams that will not play the Pirate. SP will not play Alcoa.

Yes, it is frustrating with teams not playing S.P. The difference is that S.P. has only about 220 students. If you read my statement then you would understand what I was saying about the schedule. I believe SP plays enough tough teams on their schedule. I would like to play Alcoa, it would be a good experience and lesson for our kids. However, the schedule he has set for the next two years is PLENTY tough enough already. S.P. has week 7 open, Alcoa didn't have that date anyway so anything we say is really pointless.

I was looking at Alcoa's past schedules and it is amazing at what has been done with that program in the last decade. For 3 years they were just a decent football team, then to the most dominant team in their classification, then to what we have now and the most dominant team in the state period.

I believe Signal Mountain and South Pittsburgh coaches were wrong when they openly stated the reasons as to why they aren't playing Alcoa. You don't openly state that you don't want your team to get beat up, that not only tells your team they're better but their a lot more physical as well. Everyone knows what and who Alcoa is, but I believe as a coach you instill the confidence in your team that they can beat everyone they come up against even if they can't. I played football for Red Boiling Springs and though we had only 16 players where only 8 or 9 of those players only really knew what they were doing our coach always talked about how we could make it to the playoffs, though we knew and he knew we probably we wouldn't win a game. I always had respect for him because he did his best to lift our spirits. I know that is not like this because all 3 programs are good programs. Though I firmly believe you play anyone because the better the teams are you play the better you will be, I still understand why they didn't. However, when if I was going to have to give a reason as to why I wasn't playing them I would have lied or come up with some other excuses to why I wasn't playing other than saying "We don't want no part of that monster" or "I don't want to take a chance of getting anyone hurt before the playoffs." In just my own personal opinion I would have went about all of this a different way rather than basically openly admitting I was scared and didn't want to play...It's a contact sport for goodness sake!

• Upvote 1

I was looking at Alcoa's past schedules and it is amazing at what has been done with that program in the last decade. For 3 years they were just a decent football team, then to the most dominant team in their classification, then to what we have now and the most dominant team in the state period.

I believe Signal Mountain and South Pittsburgh coaches were wrong when they openly stated the reasons as to why they aren't playing Alcoa. You don't openly state that you don't want your team to get beat up, that not only tells your team they're better but their a lot more physical as well. Everyone knows what and who Alcoa is, but I believe as a coach you instill the confidence in your team that they can beat everyone they come up against even if they can't. I played football for Red Boiling Springs and though we had only 16 players where only 8 or 9 of those players only really knew what they were doing our coach always talked about how we could make it to the playoffs, though we knew and he knew we probably we wouldn't win a game. I always had respect for him because he did his best to lift our spirits. I know that is not like this because all 3 programs are good programs. Though I firmly believe you play anyone because the better the teams are you play the better you will be, I still understand why they didn't. However, when if I was going to have to give a reason as to why I wasn't playing them I would have lied or come up with some other excuses to why I wasn't playing other than saying "We don't want no part of that monster" or "I don't want to take a chance of getting anyone hurt before the playoffs." In just my own personal opinion I would have went about all of this a different way rather than basically openly admitting I was scared and didn't want to play...It's a contact sport for goodness sake!

+1 :thumb:

Amen :thumb:

What I also meant to add to that previous post was how come Alcoa doesn't take their team and compete with someone on the national level. Right now they are obviously the best team in the state without a shadow of the doubt. Why are they trying to add Signal Mountain and South Pitt on the schedule when beating them proves nothing. They should go and seek out one of the better teams in the country, Say someone in Alabama or Georgia, to play.

Dad burnit, Old Pirate says Coach Vic should get that new strength coach a putting some Popeye muscles on them youngons and perhaps after a year or two perhaps theys be more physically fit. Ain't sure SP folkes knows how much more other programs out work them! With kin folkes scattered round OP knows too well the Pirates ain't near working enough in the weight house during the off season.