Franklin County @ South Pittsburg

rlh

After talking to a real living legend that coached defense for many years he said he wish he had some of the size as we do up front now. Some people don't understand a lineman doesn't always have to make a tackle but at least slow the play down and not get pushed 5 yards down the field b4 anyone can make the tackle. Heck we should at least consider a 4-3. Oh well I guess we like to give up big yards and have it pounded down our throats and try to outscore people!!!

After talking to a real living legend that coached defense for many years he said he wish he had some of the size as we do up front now. Some people don't understand a lineman doesn't always have to make a tackle but at least slow the play down and not get pushed 5 yards down the field b4 anyone can make the tackle. Heck we should at least consider a 4-3. Oh well I guess we like to give up big yards and have it pounded down our throats and try to outscore people!!!

The Difference makers should be our LB's this year all have plenty of game under their belt, but that hasn't been the case. They almost seem non-existent. Our DL starts 2 sophomores in the middle with lots of potential but not quite there yet. I agree with whoever posted that #'s 50, 47, 25, and 35 (now back) need to all be on the field at the same time...... And should be some of the most feared in the state!

The Difference makers should be our LB's this year all have plenty of game under their belt, but that hasn't been the case. They almost seem non-existent. Our DL starts 2 sophomores in the middle with lots of potential but not quite there yet. I agree with whoever posted that #'s 50, 47, 25, and 35 (now back) need to all be on the field at the same time...... And should be some of the most feared in the state!

Yes all of those guys should be on the field for sure but you know Ala. does put a LB upon the line sometimes so that's why I said we need to run a 4-3. Really at SP now we have no need for DE's anymore. We do have the athletes to play I think physical football but we have to have first a push on the D line and second get a rush on the QB and third play containment. Also let me ask you a question. It's not just us but why do so many DB's keep there back to the QB?

Old Pirate is behind due to recent trip but your post reflects what appears to be a major disappointment. The last time OP checked not a SP LB was listed in the area top tackle makers.Nor lineman.......the lineman in the defensive scheme the Pirates attempt to run is attacking gaps and keeping lineman busy so the LBs can make plays. Fact is the SP defense which was thought to be a strength has not played well. Until the Pirates have players listed in the area top playmakers the team is subject to come to a scretching haught when faced with an equally talented team. The last part of the season will define the Pirate's chances to bring home the bacon. With injuries mounting the team must ralley to find some cohesiveness.

Congrats to J.Lankford for his efforts running the futeball, if the Pirates could find some youngons on the defensive side to give similar effort????????????????

Old Pirate says the Rebels will be a tough challenge with what is to be a big team that has apparently played well at times and lost. The Pirates must strike quickly and score when they have the ball, cause the Rebels will most likely play bloody nose style futeball. OP says the Pirates best git ready cause theys a heep of earholing that needs to be done come Friday nite @ the speedway.

Tom Landry invented the flex...... Flex was known for its unusual defensive line alignment, which “flexed†two defensive linemen – usually one tackle and one end – a few feet off the line of scrimmage. However, the flex itself isn’t the innovation that has stood the test of time, according to defensive experts today.

It depends on which defensive experts you ask. The flex made the cowboys in the 60s and 70s and would have been effective in the 80s. The reason it didn't is the goober in charge of draft didn't want Singletary because he thought he was too short. Had they got him, Landry wouldn't have gotten in to trouble toward the end.

However, the reason I mentioned the flex style of 4-3 is that the primary objective of the lineman is to hold their ground against the OL and keep them off the line backers to give them a chance to make the tackle. With the potential of SP's backing crew this year and size up front, I think this system would work.

Edited by rlh

It depends on which defensive experts you ask. The flex made the cowboys in teh 60s and 70s and would have been effective in the 80s. The reason it didn't is the goober in charge of draft didn't want Singletary because he thought he was too short. Had they got him, Landry wouldn't have gotten in to trouble toward the end.

However, the reason I mentioned the flex style of 4-3 is that the primary objective of the lineman is to old their ground against the OL and keep them off the line backers to give them a chance to make the tackle. With the potential of SP's backing crew this year and size up front, I think this system would work.

Great explanation!!My thoughts Exactly!!!But I guess I'm forgetting one other thing about SP football and that is we depend soley on the Offense and not the Defense and by all means not the kicking game!!

Guest Purplepastry

It depends on which defensive experts you ask. The flex made the cowboys in the 60s and 70s and would have been effective in the 80s. The reason it didn't is the goober in charge of draft didn't want Singletary because he thought he was too short. Had they got him, Landry wouldn't have gotten in to trouble toward the end.

However, the reason I mentioned the flex style of 4-3 is that the primary objective of the lineman is to hold their ground against the OL and keep them off the line backers to give them a chance to make the tackle. With the potential of SP's backing crew this year and size up front, I think this system would work.

Yall are missing the point talking about pro or even college schemes. Flex smex. The high school game is much slower. The fewer linemen you have the bigger they have to be and the quicker everyone else has to be. That is why 5-2 is prevalent in high school, smaller linemen and slower line backers. The 3-4 is primarily a pro style defense for huge freakish linemen (nose guard in particular) and fast line backers. The 3-4 is meant to stop the passing attack. The high school game is a running game, up the middle running for the most part. The 5-2 (pass), 5-3 (run-pass), or the 5-4 ( run) will be successful most of the time against most teams. Heck in high school you can be successful with 6 or 7 linemen in some cases.

Yall are missing the point talking about pro or even college schemes. Flex smex. The high school game is much slower. The fewer linemen you have the bigger they have to be and the quicker everyone else has to be. That is why 5-2 is prevalent in high school, smaller linemen and slower line backers. The 3-4 is primarily a pro style defense for huge freakish linemen (nose guard in particular) and fast line backers. The 3-4 is meant to stop the passing attack. The high school game is a running game, up the middle running for the most part. The 5-2 (pass), 5-3 (run-pass), or the 5-4 ( run) will be successful most of the time against most teams. Heck in high school you can be successful with 6 or 7 linemen in some cases.

No, the point is on target. We think the 3/4 is b.s. against veer, Power I and triple option teams. What defense did Dave Baxter run? (That was rhetorical).