TSSAA visits Signal Mtn

Rabble Rouser

If McLendon or Signal Mnt. were not good this would be a non issue and everyone knows it let the kid play, you could investigate most of the successful larger programs and most of the private schools and fine something if you wanted to, somebody got mad cause little johhny's team got beat or he didn't choose thier school.

Strawman argument.

Brainerd is paired with Ooltewah. They can't just go anywhere. Howard is paired with Signal and I believe Sale Creek.

[

Transportation is only provided with your paired school, if you are zoned for a 'failing' school and can provide your own transportation, you can apply to attend any 'passing' school as long as your paperwork is in order and HCDE approves; player in question was approved. :thumb:

I heard of a situation where 1 child left a failing school to go to another school in that county, Oddly enough that child went from being a practice player at the failing school to a starter at the new school. So you would think that the parents would want the same for the siblings (at least I would), But not so fast ! Ayounger sibling of this player is enrolled and attends the failing school. Oh and the sibling happens to have a chance to play at the failing school. the 2 siblings now attend 2 different schools ( 1 boy, 1 girl) But only 1 remained at the failing school. NCLB is just another well intentioned idea that is used in a way it was never meant to be(athletic eligibility). Not familiar with S.M. case at all. But I do know NCLB is a farce that should be ditched immediately. It has opened can's of worms that few saw coming and no one knows what to do with...GoVols !

The parents decide. They fill out a hardship request. It is open to all Howard students.

I love the idea about getting rid of T$$AA. They are money hungry and only step in when they have a vendetta.

The private schools play by there own rules. When they can't recruit the right kids to beat you they whine about having a smaller enrollment and having to play bigger schools.

Come on--really? What brought the private schools into this discussion?

Yes, but there are 3A and 4A schools in that district. The only 4A schools are ND and SM, so one of them has to go to the playoffs in 4A (if I understand all this mess correctly). It's like the 5A/6A district from last year. Cleveland and Walker Valley were the only two 5A teams in that district. Cleveland won the head-to-head meeting and went to the 5A playoffs, even though they lost to most every 6A team in that district. I think the same applies here. Someone, either ND or SM has to go to the playoffs in 4A regardless of whether or not a 3A team technically "wins" the district. Again, if I'm understanding this right, if the TSSAA rules against SM, they may be forced to forfeit the win over ND, giving ND the automatic playoff berth in 4A.

They changed that rule after the first season of the current style. There's no longer a guarantee that a district gets teams into both sub-classes--it's first or second overall or hope for a wild card.

Transportation is only provided with your paired school, if you are zoned for a 'failing' school and can provide your own transportation, you can apply to attend any 'passing' school as long as your paperwork is in order and HCDE approves; player in question was approved. :thumb:

"Transferring student(s) can't go to just any school; the low-performing schools are matched with other schools that will accept its transfers."

From Free Press story on NCLB and its effects-

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/sep/07/transfers-double-out-of-low-performing-schools/

"Another point, he is zoned for Brainerd and Signal Mountain gives him a chance to have a better education, is it so wrong that when presented with the chance for that, he chose to take it?"

Reader comment from the current story-

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2011/oct/07/tssaa-investigates-signal-mountain-football/

High Schools

Brainerd High: 118 to Ooltewah High, 12 to Sale Creek High

Howard School of Academics and Technology: 12 to Sale Creek High, 47 to Signal Mountain Middle/High

Red Bank High: 10 to Hixson High, 4 to Sale Creek High

Soddy-Daisy High: 1 to Hixson High

From one of the articles linked, those are the "paired" schools. They had no listing of anyone who'd have been attending Brainerd, going to Signal.

If McLendon or Signal Mnt. were not good this would be a non issue and everyone knows it let the kid play, you could investigate most of the successful larger programs and most of the private schools and fine something if you wanted to, somebody got mad cause little johhny's team got beat or he didn't choose thier school.

Dude, let's just allow any kid to go play where he wants. Dang the school he attends and the house he lives in. Heck, if you live in Pulaski and wanna play for Gallatin because green and gold are your favorite colors, then shoot, I think it should be allowed................WHATEVER!!!

It is what's right. Do the right thing.

How many coaches have a map on the wall behind their desk with areas tacked of what kids are wanting to come there.