Signal Mountain to appeal

Rabble Rouser

Here is what I think... I would be willing to bet that the kid isn't exactly vanderbilt or Harvard material grade wise so the academic bull crap is a mute point to me. If he was zoned for brainerd he should have went to brainerd. If be was zoned for Howard he should have went to Howard. End of story. Cry on signal mountain... Cry on.... I love to hear the excuses. And deep down I really hope somehow you make the playoffs so you will get drilled by the green devils and I can hear a multitude of new excuses from the mtn.

I hope we play them in the first round! :thumb:

No.

I don't care about whatif's and opinions - SM screwed up their paperwork, not TSSAA - and since they are the ones who are well paid to make sure their school is operated properly by law and regulations - they did not do their job and therefore are probably not qualified to manage a McDonald's.

Since they are allegedly experienced in their positions, incompetence is not a defense. If they are not incompetent - they willfully cheated on the process.

Belipriiiice.png

You don't agree with Lancer? you are saying the samething he is??....by the way most McDonald's managers make alot more money... than most of the people in the school system <_<

Edited by lancer10

you say no....then you say what I said? :unsure:

Not exactly. You said that the kid could go from "Brainerd to Ooltewah for school and sports"... what I'm saying is that with the NCLB hardship petition, they can go for educational purposes but if they had an athletic record, Ootewah must request a hardship from TSSAA before they can play sports or they have to sit out a year.

When will folks realize that playing sports is a privilege and not a right. I'm sure there are many kids playing sports under a hardship waiver that are illegal, but considered legal because they haven't been challenged or reported. An example, if a kid wants to take an engineering class at Soddy Daisy, then he should enroll there as a 9th grader. Don't wait until the kid has grown to 6'4", weighs 250 lbs and runs a 4.4 40 and is a jr or senior in high school and then expects to be automatically eligible to play sports. The TSSAA rule states you can do that after you sit out 12 months. The schools, parents and coaches are compromising the kid, not the TSSAA.

Edited by binns37388

You don't agree with Lancer? you are saying the samething he is??....by the way most McDonald's managers make alot more money... than most of the people in the school system <_<

McDonald's managers make more money than your administrators and head coach?

HA!

Just how old are you and why are you jealous of McDonald's managers? I'm sure if you stick with it, someday you'll be the one driving one the many Lexus/Mercedes I see at McDonalds....

:roflol:

Maybe you and barb need to read the story that I just found on the main page. Here is the link. Eligibility gray area exposed

That is some of the funniest horse stuff I have read in a while. Especially this part.

No matter how long the appeals process takes or when it is finally resolved, the case will likely have a large impact on future eligibility issues. If the TSSAA decides in favor of the Eagles, the association's handbook will need to be altered. If McClendon's suspension remains intact, players could potentially start dropping off rosters in Hamilton County schools and, possibly, throughout Tennessee.

This however, is very silly on McCullough's part. A warning shot? Really?

As if he anticipated this response from his counterpart, McCullough’s final sentence in the release serves as a warning shot.

“If the TSSAA maintains that board approved hardships do not establish “territory†then there are numerous student athletes in Hamilton County and across Tennessee whose eligibility may be questionable.â€

Not exactly. You said that the kid could go from "Brainerd to Ooltewah for school and sports"... what I'm saying is that with the NCLB hardship petition, they can go for educational purposes but if they had an athletic record, Ootewah must request a hardship from TSSAA before they can play sports or they have to sit out a year.

the TSSAA always grants the hardship,for kids that leave a failing school to a passing school, that it is paired with...Brainerd is in Ooltewahs territory :unsure:

Maybe you and barb need to read the story that I just found on the main page. Here is the link. Eligibility gray area exposed

the fact that TSSAA does not recognize hardship transfers is not a gray area. The by-laws are very clear that unless there is residence in the schools geographic territory/zone eligibility cannot be established. A ruling by the school board allowing ooz enrollment does not satisfy this requirement. If it did, then I'm sure all the OE schools would be doing a happy dance. If a student does not satisfy the eligibility requirements, he/she may then apply for a hardship waiver using this form.

http://www.tssaa.org/forms/Eligibility/hrd01.pdf

Otherwise, the student must sit out for 12 months. I don't understand how anyone can see this as a gray area. SM is acting like this is some kind of precedent-setting appeal that is going to change the world. TSSAA has been there and done that.

This is a common procedure and one I'm sure an experienced Tennessee Secondary School AD has submitted at least once. If this kids paperwork had been properly executed (that means all questions answered accurately)and his reason for hardship transfer documented on the appropriate forms, then his eligibility would have had a pretty good chance of getting approved on its merit, instead of revoked because of inaccuracies, whether real or fabricated.

Smeagle, you Signal folks may want to help Dr. McCullough this. Tell him to turn to page 19 of the Handbook. He should have done that before make a statement that it isn't there.

Special Cases Involving Hardship

Section 24. Except for the eligibility rules in regard to age and to the number of semesters in school, the Executive Director shall have the authority to set aside the effect of any eligibility rule upon an individual student when:

a. the circumstances causing the student to fail to satisfy the eligibility rule were unforeseen and unavoidable.

b. application of the rule to the student works an undue hardship in light of the unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances;

c. application of the rule would not accomplish the purpose for which the rule was intended; and

d. in the case of a change of schools, the change is for reasons unrelated to participation in athletics.

The burden of establishing each of these elements to the Executive Director's satisfaction is upon the school at which eligibility is sought.

Any decision of the Executive Director on any request for a waiver of eligibility rules under this Section may be appealed de novo to the Board of Control at its August, November, January or March meetings. If the appeal to the Board of Control or any materials in connection with that appeal are received by TSSAA less than one full week prior to the scheduled Board of Control meeting, the member school at which eligibility is sought shall be

responsible for all additional expenses associated with providing copies of that material to the Board of Control. A school appealing a decision of the Executive Director under this Section must have an administrator (principal, assistant principal, or athletic director) present at the Board of Control meeting.

Edited by rlh

the TSSAA always grants the hardship,for kids that leave a failing school to a passing school, that it is paired with...Brainerd is in Ooltewahs territory :unsure:

But the hardship waiver has to be FILED before it can be approved. SM did not inform this kids parents that a hardship waiver might be necessary because they assumed they were right. They have done this kid wrong and now are trying to place the blame on TSSAA.