Brint Russell resignsb

newHHSera

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard his name connected to the situation, so you may be spot on.

I think he would be a perfect fit for what they need. Hammontree would also "recruit the halls" if you will to get more kids out of the student body. A buddy of mine (Troy Fleming) is coaching with Hammontree now @ Anderson County. Coach Hammontree's a DC there & I'm sure he wants to be a HC again, but (according to Troy) both of them interviewed for the HC position at Centiniell(sp?) last year in Middle TN then landed at AC. Troy said they weren't sure why neither of them got the job being that Troy has a UT/NFL resume & Hammontree a state championship coach.

That said, both Hammontree & Troy have a lot of respect for Coach Gillium's offensive expertise. I played agaist Gillium 2x in HS when Hammontree was coaching @ Maryville so that situation's allittle odd when you look at it, but Hammontree going to Heritage would be a great thing for them...

If you really think about it, Hammontree was the driving force in bringing in the larger coaching staff, getting the facilities upgraded, & bringing back the championship tradition to Maryville. He also has established a pretty good coaching tree underneath him with GQ, Sweetland @ Farragut, Jason Hicks @ Greenback, Nix @ Alcoa, Stanley @ Marville Jr. High, as well as a few others having either played or coached for him. Bringing everything back to MHS & spreading some of his influence to other shcools says a lot about the man, but I feel Heritage has never really had a great tradition & think he can get that going w/ some help...

I think he would be a perfect fit for what they need. Hammontree would also "recruit the halls" if you will to get more kids out of the student body. A buddy of mine (Troy Fleming) is coaching with Hammontree now @ Anderson County. Coach Hammontree's a DC there & I'm sure he wants to be a HC again, but (according to Troy) both of them interviewed for the HC position at Centiniell(sp?) last year in Middle TN then landed at AC. Troy said they weren't sure why neither of them got the job being that Troy has a UT/NFL resume & Hammontree a state championship coach.

That said, both Hammontree & Troy have a lot of respect for Coach Gillium's offensive expertise. I played agaist Gillium 2x in HS when Hammontree was coaching @ Maryville so that situation's allittle odd when you look at it, but Hammontree going to Heritage would be a great thing for them...

If you really think about it, Hammontree was the driving force in bringing in the larger coaching staff, getting the facilities upgraded, & bringing back the championship tradition to Maryville. He also has established a pretty good coaching tree underneath him with GQ, Sweetland @ Farragut, Jason Hicks @ Greenback, Nix @ Alcoa, Stanley @ Marville Jr. High, as well as a few others having either played or coached for him. Bringing everything back to MHS & spreading some of his influence to other shcools says a lot about the man, but I feel Heritage has never really had a great tradition & think he can get that going w/ some help...

Obviously, you know more about him than I do, but his last couple of stints were less than impressive... AC had a hard time even lining up right on defense this year, not to mention how horrible they played when they got lined up... Maybe he was just dealt some bad talent, that can make a coach look not so good. If he gets this job, we will all find out how good he is, turning this program around will be a tall order.

Obviously, you know more about him than I do, but his last couple of stints were less than impressive... AC had a hard time even lining up right on defense this year, not to mention how horrible they played when they got lined up... Maybe he was just dealt some bad talent, that can make a coach look not so good. If he gets this job, we will all find out how good he is, turning this program around will be a tall order.

Bad talent is the key word there with AC. It wasn't like we had great talent before he took over at Maryville either. Granted we've always had great feeder programs, but until Olive took us to the playoffs my Freshman year we hadn't made the post season in a long time. Olive fortunately left (TERRIBLE COACH, otherwise I don't think Maryville would be where they're at today. Olive had an awesome team his last year (Rod Cross, Shaun Love, Brandon Bomar, Bard Hatcher, Donnie Carroll, etc.), but couldn't get over his own ego & got bounced out of the 1st round of the playoffs by a good Clinton team that Hammontree destroyed the next year w/ lesser talent.

As far as the other ""less than impressive stints", please don't blame him for the debacle that is the former Alcoa HC, Coach Reid... lol That guy's an idiot & the only reason he won 2 titles was b/c of the talent at Alcoa. Hammontree initially didn't realize how much of a moron Reid is & was blamed for most of the short comings Reid had in GA. Hammontree did a decent job at Rhea County before he left there, but again the talent pool was when he was at RC before coming to Maryville. The expectations of the folks at RC were a little unrealistic considering the talent available & after his youngest son graduated from RC, he unfortunately left back down to GA to work with Reid (a move he regrets). Hindsight is always 20/20 though...

Edited by JSamson7

I think Coach Hammontree could get things going at Heritage. Part of the move to Ga was the sholarships available when he still had young kids. Not sure of the details of that but it was something unavailable here and he had a much younger family then. I think he wants to stay in this area now. I think his players have always liked him and he likely could get more interest in the program from some of the students who have chosen not to play. Agree on the AC take of the previous poster. Not their best talent on either side of the ball this year and I think they finished 5-5? I think Coach Quarles would tell you Hammontree left him with a very good foundation. Quarles deserves all the credit for what he did with it, but I think that would likely be his take as far as where the program was when he took over.

As far as the other ""less than impressive stints", please don't blame him for the debacle that is the former Alcoa HC, Coach Reid... lol That guy's an idiot & the only reason he won 2 titles was b/c of the talent at Alcoa. Hammontree initially didn't realize how much of a moron Reid is & was blamed for most of the short comings Reid had in GA.

What short-comings would that be?

The semi-final appearance in his first season?

The two quarterfinal appearances in the last three seasons?

Or the 8-1 record that he now has going into this weekend?

FYI the two QF appearances were when EP was moved up to the largest class in GA playing agains W-R Northside, Grayson, Lowndes, Camden...You get the picture. :ph34r:

What short-comings would that be?

The semi-final appearance in his first season?

The two quarterfinal appearances in the last three seasons?

Or the 8-1 record that he now has going into this weekend?

FYI the two QF appearances were when EP was moved up to the largest class in GA playing agains W-R Northside, Grayson, Lowndes, Camden...You get the picture. :ph34r:

Maybe you should ask around. I've talked to family who played for him as well as a few friends who've coached with him who can attest to his "shortcomings". He takes way too much credit for his success & about the best thing he has done throughout his career when he actually won was surround himself with bright coaches. The next best thing he did at Alcoa was get those kids on a year round weight program. Before that, Alcoa's off season program was almost non existent or esle they could have had a multitude of trophies in that case. They would own the state record for titles if they would have started a true off season program as soon as other schools started. The only program they had befre Reid was going to Primo's every once in awhile....

That saidf, I will say Reid was an upgrade over teh coaches Alcoa had in lace befoer him. Meadows was marginalt at best, Ironside the same, but Phelps was one of the most god awful coaches in Alcoa's histroy. Rankin definitely deserves a lot of credit for what he's done there & will no doubt go down as the greatest Alcoa coach of all time

Edited by JSamson7

I think Coach Hammontree could get things going at Heritage. Part of the move to Ga was the sholarships available when he still had young kids. Not sure of the details of that but it was something unavailable here and he had a much younger family then. I think he wants to stay in this area now. I think his players have always liked him and he likely could get more interest in the program from some of the students who have chosen not to play. Agree on the AC take of the previous poster. Not their best talent on either side of the ball this year and I think they finished 5-5? I think Coach Quarles would tell you Hammontree left him with a very good foundation. Quarles deserves all the credit for what he did with it, but I think that would likely be his take as far as where the program was when he took over.

I remember him being very brash, almost arrogant. Not that that is a bad thing in a head coach... The upside to Hammontree is he is a NAME that people in blount county will identify with. He is a proven winner with what he did taking over the controls at MHS; and definitely knows coaching talent. Not sure how parents will take him, though. Could be the right fit. Wouldn't mind seeing what he could do.

Heritage should hire Hammontree right now. Hammontree is not a peoples person like GQ is. GQ will talk to the fans all day long. Hammontree is brash. But! He can coach football all day long.Hammontree brought back toughness and discipline to Maryville football.

What Hammontree did at Maryville when he 1st started there was tell some coaches that were under John Olive that their services were no longer needed. This upset a lot of the Maryville administration. Some of the administration hated Hammontree. Hammontree didn't care about the good ole boy network. He just wanted to coach football.One of the biggest hires Hammontree made in 1993 was David Ellis. 2 years later GQ was hired.

Hammontree built the foundation for Maryville football but GQ has elevated it.

Heritage should hire Hammontree right now. Hammontree is not a peoples person like GQ is. GQ will talk to the fans all day long. Hammontree is brash. But! He can coach football all day long.Hammontree brought back toughness and discipline to Maryville football.

What Hammontree did at Maryville when he 1st started there was tell some coaches that were under John Olive that their services were no longer needed. This upset a lot of the Maryville administration. Some of the administration hated Hammontree. Hammontree didn't care about the good ole boy network. He just wanted to coach football.One of the biggest hires Hammontree made in 1993 was David Ellis. 2 years later GQ was hired.

Hammontree built the foundation for Maryville football but GQ has elevated it.

Wasnt it Hammontree that started the modern dynasty of Maryville? Wasnt he the coach that started the string of championships that Maryville is still enjoying?