Dobyns-Bennett Football

ArtVandalay

Reb,

Sounds like he was right on the money. He said that you and Smyrna totalled 10 D-I players during the last 2 years. Sounds like you can cite 4. Perhaps Smyrna had the other 6. If I was vague in my description I apologize.

Lets say he was right on the money. What does that have to do with DB's playoff chances. We've never played Smyrna and only played Maryville once in the playoffs. We couldn't even beat Daniel Boone that year.

I cite them because they are teams that win the title. Anything less in Kingsport will have some people saying that GC can't win the big one. The game is about players, real players, playmakers. When we had Teddy Gaines, Jeremy Graves, Fred Powell, Gerald Sensabaugh, Jesse McMillan, Daniel Kilgore, Duran Ferguson, Coty Sensabaugh, etc, no one complained because we went deep into the playoffs. What all of those guys have in common is that they were ballers. D-I, NFL in some cases, ballers. It seems a rather common sense point to me. When we had a group of "players", we went a long way. When we have one, or none, just hard working East Tennessee kids, we win 11 or so games, lose 1 close, and it's GC's fault. I don't see it that way. Players make plays or they don't.

I cite them because they are teams that win the title. Anything less in Kingsport will have some people saying that GC can't win the big one. The game is about players, real players, playmakers. When we had Teddy Gaines, Jeremy Graves, Fred Powell, Gerald Sensabaugh, Jesse McMillan, Daniel Kilgore, Duran Ferguson, Coty Sensabaugh, etc, no one complained because we went deep into the playoffs. What all of those guys have in common is that they were ballers. D-I, NFL in some cases, ballers. It seems a rather common sense point to me. When we had a group of "players", we went a long way. When we have one, or none, just hard working East Tennessee kids, we win 11 or so games, lose 1 close, and it's GC's fault. I don't see it that way. Players make plays or they don't.

I understand you will go to the end of the earth to defend GC, and thats ok. Just don't try to lay the blame on players, "just hard working East Tennessee kids". Don't try to bring up common sense to your argument when your argument is not using common sense. There has only been one year in the past 20 when we didn't have the "team" players if you will, to advance futher in the playoffs than we ended up. Players change every year but we still keep getting the same results of loosing to a underdog in the playoffs. The one thing that has remained the same has been the head coach. I could use the most resent playoff dissapointment thats still fresh on everybodys mind to explain that im right. Leading 28-0 with less than 3 minutes to go in the 3rd. quarter. We had the best team, we easily had the better players on the field. Once the momentum changed our coaching staff flaked. They didn't have a clue and that flowed through our players like a lightning bolt. We easily had the best players on the field that night. Not just a group of "hard working East Tennessee kids. I could bring up the McMinn Co. game but that wouldn't even be fair to this argument. Theres no way in the world that was anything but the coaches fault. Now again let me say. I don't have anything against GC personally. He's a fine man, has done alot for the kids, is a great coach during regular season. I don't know why but he couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag in a playoff game.

You're making an excellent point that will be lost on anyone who hasn't seen the level of athleticism produced regularly in Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga, and Knoxville.

You're making an excellent point that will be lost on anyone who hasn't seen the level of athleticism produced regularly in Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga, and Knoxville.

Total BS! We,ve seen what these areas have. We've played teams from Knoxville and Chattanooga and won alot more than we have lost (In regular season). We played the best Nashville had to offer one year, MBA and their 36 game win streak and #16 rank in the nation. We beat them at their place (in regular season) We've beat Sevier Co. when they were ranked #1 in the state on their on field (during regular season). I don't know why you even bring up Memphis area, their no better in the playoffs than we are. Good "athletes" but most are un-coachable. That was clear in the 4A championship game last year as a example. There are plenty of examples I could list. Our athletes are as good as any in the state year in and year out. You people keep throwing up flack to deflect what everybody knows is the problem. Nobody can explain away what happens to DB in playoff games. Our players had enough athleticism to run up 28 points on Sevier Co. then our coach went into a shell quit coaching and tried to run out the clock. How many ways do I have to explain it? At some point we have to admit we have a problem in playoff games. Does the saying "one & done" ring a bell? Its what the entire state has hung around DB's neck. Do any of you people know what that means?

Edited by WaCoJaCo

Total BS! We,ve seen what these areas have. We've played teams from Knoxville and Chattanooga and won alot more than we have lost (In regular season). We played the best Nashville had to offer one year, MBA and their 36 game win streak and #16 rank in the nation. We beat them at their place (in regular season) We've beat Sevier Co. when they were ranked #1 in the state on their on field (during regular season). I don't know why you even bring up Memphis area, their no better in the playoffs than we are. Good "athletes" but most are un-coachable. That was clear in the 4A championship game last year as a example. There are plenty of examples I could list. Our athletes are as good as any in the state year in and year out. You people keep throwing up flack to deflect what everybody knows is the problem. Nobody can explain away what happens to DB in playoff games. Our players had enough athleticism to run up 28 points on Sevier Co. then our coach went into a shell quit coaching and tried to run out the clock. How many ways do I have to explain it? At some point we have to admit we have a problem in playoff games. Does the saying "one & done" ring a bell? Its what the entire state has hung around DB's neck. Do any of you people know what that means?

There are two distinct points to be made. First, DB does not, year in year out, produce athletes that equal the bigger cities. If it did, DB would be sending players regularly to D1 schools. I'm not saying DB doesn't have fine quality football players, but the word "athlete" gets used and abused around here. The definition changed for me as I've watched the Whitehavens and the Hillsboros perform and watched where elite high school football players in Tennessee end up playing in college.

Second point: there is an issue with winning playoff games at DB. Unfortunately, this point can't be argued. Waco has a ton of valid ammunition to launch given what has happened post season.

Who or what is to blame?... I'm not jumping in that snake pit. The rest of you do a fine enough job of that sort of speculation.

There are two distinct points to be made. First, DB does not, year in year out, produce athletes that equal the bigger cities. If it did, DB would be sending players regularly to D1 schools. I'm not saying DB doesn't have fine quality football players, but the word "athlete" gets used and abused around here. The definition changed for me as I've watched the Whitehavens and the Hillsboros perform and watched where elite high school football players in Tennessee end up playing in college.

Second point: there is an issue with winning playoff games at DB. Unfortunately, this point can't be argued. Waco has a ton of valid ammunition to launch given what has happened post season.

Who or what is to blame?... I'm not jumping in that snake pit. The rest of you do a fine enough job of that sort of speculation.

Who's Whitehaven and Hillsboro? Just kidding, I have heard of them. But they haven't done much better than DB in the playoffs. You first point doesn't hold much water in this discusion of how to win playoff games. I'll use the small town of Maryville as a example. They take the big cities to the cleaners every year. Football is a team sport.

Who's Whitehaven and Hillsboro? Just kidding, I have heard of them. But they haven't done much better than DB in the playoffs. You first point doesn't hold much water in this discusion of how to win playoff games. I'll use the small town of Maryville as a example. They take the big cities to the cleaners every year. Football is a team sport.

In response to the bold, I wouldn't include Hillsboro in that sentence. They were easily one of the best programs in the state from 2000-2008, making 5 state title game appearances and winning 2 gold balls in that span, and probably would've won more had they played in literally ANY other classification at that time, because of the Maryville road block in 4A. Even still, they are one of the very few programs who can say they've beaten a George Quarles' Maryville team.

In response to the bold, I wouldn't include Hillsboro in that sentence. They were easily one of the best programs in the state from 2000-2008, making 5 state title game appearances and winning 2 gold balls in that span, and probably would've won more had they played in literally ANY other classification at that time, because of the Maryville road block in 4A. Even still, they are one of the very few programs who can say they've beaten a George Quarles' Maryville team.

Ok, I'll give you that one. I don't know how u-all got me off subject. We'll be arguing about golf next.

It's 26 days to Week 0 Kick-off against Farragut...practice starts tomorrow and the Indians will have a very exciting team to watch this year. For me, it's time to get on with this Season and support the Tribe, Team, Players, Coaches.

DB returns what me be the most explosive offensive set that I can remember. Cook at QB, Swafford at RB, Foreman at WR. Plus a host of other good players... this Senior Class is deep, and the Sophomore Class is loaded... some of the players returning besides the Big 3 that were impact players last year: Seth Barger, Sam Taylor, Chad Diminick, Josh Holt, Will Glasscock, Trey Trammell (he needs some carries), Zach Casey, Nick Sensabuagh (300+), Austin Hayworth (230 and getting mean) and don't forget Trevor Gilliam who is a BEAST and the best Defensive Player in East Tennessee.

Batman, help me out with some names from the upcoming Soph. Class, they destroyed their competition last year as Freshman but other than Josh Holt, I don't know many of them yet.

I don't know what the Single Season Scoring Record is for DB, but it is in serious jepordy in 2012.

Roll Tribe Roll

Edited by ArtVandalay

Reb,

Sounds like he was right on the money. He said that you and Smyrna totalled 10 D-I players during the last 2 years. Sounds like you can cite 4. Perhaps Smyrna had the other 6. If I was vague in my description I apologize.

No problem.....I read 10 per program so I apologize. Mayville puts out very few D-1 players but occasionally has a year of a couple. The Maryville program is built on the team concept. If they had to depend on D-1 talent every year their trophys would be few and far.....JMO