Dobyns-Bennett Football

ArtVandalay

"The only thing that keeps you from being a complete Idiot is" .... you don't know who I am; you don't know my background; you have no way of knowing if I'm just another chump tossing out opinions, or if I've coached 300 games. I assume that since you've annointed yourself over me that you've played football. I assume you've played in college. I assume you know what it means to to hit 300 pound linemen in the heat and humidity of an August morning. I assume you've gone on to be a coach. I assume you have many games under your belt that cover many years of coaching. That is correct isn't it?

Otherwise, in your juvenile attempts to name call a different opinion than yours, you have exposed yourself to look like a complete idiot. Good luck coaching your team this year. I know you must start soon!

"The only thing that keeps you from being a complete Idiot is" .... you don't know who I am; you don't know my background; you have no way of knowing if I'm just another chump tossing out opinions, or if I've coached 300 games. I assume that since you've annointed yourself over me that you've played football. I assume you've played in college. I assume you know what it means to to hit 300 pound linemen in the heat and humidity of an August morning. I assume you've gone on to be a coach. I assume you have many games under your belt that cover many years of coaching. That is correct isn't it?

Otherwise, in your juvenile attempts to name call a different opinion than yours, you have exposed yourself to look like a complete idiot. Good luck coaching your team this year. I know you must start soon!

I'll put you in the catagory of: "can dish it out but can't take it". You lit this fire when you made the "juvenile attempt to name call a different opinion than yours" when you said "people disatisfied with their own lifes achievements, so they live vicariously through a high school football team. Hey chump, we are stating the obvious. If you have been to all or any of DB's playoff games in the past 10 years and still attempt to prop up GC then I really don't think there is even a catagory for that. My 86 year old grandmother and 7 yr. old nephew knows GC's playoff record is embaressing. Sure, he's one heck of a coach during regular season. But he's one of the worst I have seen in playoff games. Prove me wrong.

Waco,

I'll give you the last word, but let me posit this. There's always far more to any situation than meets the eye. Many of those guys in the football program talk to me because I listen and rarely speak. They will tell you GC has to wage war to get any coach hired, much less one that he would really like to have. Political infighting and turf wars have cost him quality assistants that wanted to come to D-B over the years. He doesn't gripe, he doesn't go public, he just reloads and leads his team and staff. A few athletes stand out, but this is still east Tennessee. He often has what could be described as "county plus" players manning more than a few positions. You will like this team. They won't lose early in the playoffs (barring injury), but when this speed graduates, there isn't a stable of minority players waiting in the wings.

One of my friends pointed out that Smyrna and Maryville have had 10 D-I signees over the past 2 years. I think we've had one. That means we have to do everything right to beat a UT commit from Bearden. He got us in overtime. You have to have kids make the same open field tackle that they've made all year on that last minute kickoff vs McMinn County, or the punts last year that we suddenly couldn't cover. We couldn't beat Maryville at Maryville with a weak team. It goes on and on. As I said, when he leaves and certain people think we're better off, most of that staff will quit. Teaching positions won't be open to hire 8 new guys and the system's hidden lack of real passion for D-B football success won't be hidden anymore.

Edited by Stonewall
  • Upvote 1

Waco,

I'll give you the last word, but let me posit this. There's always far more to any situation than meets the eye. Many of those guys in the football program talk to me because I listen and rarely speak. They will tell you GC has to wage war to get any coach hired, much less one that he would really like to have. Political infighting and turf wars have cost him quality assistants that wanted to come to D-B over the years. He doesn't gripe, he doesn't go public, he just reloads and leads his team and staff. A few athletes stand out, but this is still east Tennessee. He often has what could be described as "county plus" players manning more than a few positions. You will like this team. They won't lose early in the playoffs (barring injury), but when this speed graduates, there isn't a stable of minority players waiting in the wings.

One of my friends pointed out that Smyrna and Maryville have had 10 D-I signees over the past 2 years. I think we've had one. That means we have to do everything right to beat a UT commit from Bearden. He got us in overtime. You have to have kids make the same open field tackle that they've made all year on that last minute kickoff vs McMinn County, or the punts last year that we suddenly couldn't cover. We couldn't beat Maryville at Maryville with a weak team. It goes on and on. As I said, when he leaves and certain people think we're better off, most of that staff will quit. Teaching positions won't be open to hire 8 new guys and the system's hidden lack of real passion for D-B football success won't be hidden anymore.

Stonewall,you bring up some good points but I hope your wrong about one thing.When coach Clark calls it a career,there are a lot of guys on his staff that love DB football and take it more then just an extra job.I hope guys like coach Holt with a great fire for the game and the school will be around for a long time to come .

Waco,

Im well aware of the infighting and turf wars at DB. But if GC bleeds maroon & gray as you say, I can't see whay he just goes with the flow. Despite his below average playoff record he is still Graham Clark, the 800 lb. gorilla in the room. As I remember he got the ball rolling on the new field house and at the same time secured a heafty rase for himself. He did all that in one big swoop by going "public". I think he could control anything to do with football if he really wanted to.

I will never buy the argument that its talent. The facts don't support that. Take away one team in the past 25 years and we have had good talent. There's nothing wrong with the talent in upper east tn. We have sub-par coaching. Greenville for example? Do you really think that if you brought the Maryville staff to DB that they wouldn't of won several state championships in the past 10 years? Heck you could put them in Johnson City or Bristol and they would of won championships. Its coaching! There is talent in this area. We didn't lose to Sevier Co. last year because of talent. Our coaching staff laid down on us. The last minute kickoff against McMinn Co. was not what beat us. We dominated the first half leading 24-0, then the coaching staff quit and that trickled down to the players. Then after the most embaressing moment in the history of DB football we punted directly to their best player and he ran it back on us. The players didn't make that call. That was a epic coaching failure. I don't know if its true that Maryville and Smyrna have had 10 D1 players in the past 2 years. If so is that 10 each or 10 total. More likely 10 total, which is only a average of 2 1/2 a year per team. Either way it doesn't have anything to do with us because we never get far enough in the playoffs to play either of those teams. We need to figure out how to beat Sevier Co., William Blount, McMinn Co. etc. etc.

I think you have an interesting dilema here just like what Gallatin had. You have a good coach whom everyone for the most part likes but the community doesn't feel the school has reached its potential on the field. What do you do? I feel you have to weigh your options. 1. Obviously you feel you can get a great coach if Clark was to step down, but inquiries and actual job applicants that qualify may be 2 different things. Will or can you be satisfied with the new guy not being what many would consider a "top-flight" coach or at least an unproven coach? 2. Would you substitute being a dominant regular season coach with minimal playoff wins vs a coach that say goes 7-3 or 6-4 a few years but every once in a while goes deep in the playoffs? 3. How much will the community be divided if Clark and his supporters are forced out? It can get ugly with former players especially with high loyalties to their coach. There are no clear cut answers and this is not directed towards any one individual. Just things to ponder that will happen when the time he steps down does happen. Gallatin has experienced all of these and there is no easy answer. We are in a wait and see mode for the next few years but this sounds all too familiar.

Edited by GWAVE1

Stonewall

Your buddy was wrong. I doubt Maryville has had 10 D-1 players in the last 8 or 9 years. They did have 3 last year, one to Clemson, one to Vandy, and one to Eastern Kentucky, and one the previous year, a kicker that went to Tn Tech.

Go tell you buddy to use factual information to make his point and stop the lying about other programs..

WaCo: Mayville staff said DB looked pretty good last night in the 7 on 7. Thought if they advanced they would run into DB at some point.