Open zones, Privates, and Public Schools

Govolsknox

I think everyone plays with kids that get off the bus :roflol: . Do you really think all ooz schools have an advantage? North Greene, Chuckey Doak, South Greene, West Greene, Marion Co. etc have an advantage? There are alot of kids that live closer to GHS than they do to the County Schools they are zoned for. Greeneville is one of the largest counties in the state land wise and only has 60,000 people so its not like GHS has hundreds of thousands to choose from like some ooz counties in TN

Greeneville and Alcoa take kids from different school systems and charge a tuition (like the privates). Where as OOZ counties like Marion allow students to go to a different school within their system at no charge. I think there is a little difference.

Greeneville and Alcoa take kids from different school systems and charge a tuition (like the privates). Where as OOZ counties like Marion allow students to go to a different school within their system at no charge. I think there is a little difference.

Its still OOZ no matter how you want to put it. Why Greeneville charges is because the different in City and County Taxes to offset costs. If the Taxes were the same there would probably be no tuition being charged and only one schools system.

Maybe they should count the OOZ kids playing each sports and add that to the schools total population and classify you that way like stated earlier by TwinCityT

How bout this......

Any school that is Private, play as a Private. Not sure why a school that is formed as an alternative

to Public schools, plays sports as a public school.Is it to take advantage of their Private status to dominate

the Public schools? Not sure why Private schools would not want to aid hardship students that play sports.

If hardship aid is given to all deserving students, why are athletes left out ? With the increased number of

private schools across the state, not sure the (travel, gas, schedule) arguement is still viable. If you can

spend $7k-$10k on tution and drive up to an hour to go to school, you shouldn't mind the extra sports travel.

As for the "open zone" controversy,

(1) Go to your school board and let them know you want your school "open zoned" so you can compete in sports.

(2) If you want a more complicated solution, we could just have the schools report how many "out of zone" they

have. Example...Alcoa has 550 student ...if tuition students are 150...then competion enrollment would be 700.

Define "private" please - charge tuition? that would make Alcoa and Greeneville and others private?

So SP cam get all their athletes ooz for free? And that's not a competitive advantage over other schools in their classification? BS

Yes it does and they should be treated similarly. It definitely passes the looks like it and smells like it test :thumb:

Nope.

Private schools charge everyone tuition.

These schools only charge you if you do not live in their zone. GHS is open to anyone that lives within the Greeneville city limits at no charge.

so.. now its' an advantage!?!?! roflol.gif and, implied profanity from a moderator! is it christmas already?! roflolk.gifroflolk.gif

You have been harping on that "the ooz policy allows them to have access to an area larger than what they are officailly zoned for" and " fans of successful programs with this policy will deny this advantage". It was just pointed out that South Pittsburg is in a county school system with open zoning. They are without a doubt a successfull premier program that can pull talent from all over the county. Would you not agree that is an unfair advantage? And where did you ever get the idea that I was a moderator?

You have been harping on that "the ooz policy allows them to have access to an area larger than what they are officailly zoned for" and " fans of successful programs with this policy will deny this advantage". It was just pointed out that South Pittsburg is in a county school system with open zoning. They are without a doubt a successfull premier program that can pull talent from all over the county. Would you not agree that is an unfair advantage? And where did you ever get the idea that I was a moderator?

Barb,

I believe that is the point he has been trying to make all along, that open zone schools have "an unfair advantage".

He has been trying to get you to acknowledge that fact, ... which I believe you just have.:roflol:

Don't matter if it is South Pittsburg, Alcoa, Greeneville, or Maryville.

Edited by MountainTroll

i do agree, and that would mean you agree that greeneville has a unfair advantage, right? roflol.gif

at the bottom of all sub forums there is a heading that sez; forum led by, your name is on it and everyone there is a moderator. whether or not you are, which would be odd since everyone else is, it's a shame that this 3a/4a forum is lead by someone that doesn't even follow one of the simplest of rules.

Edited by snoball5278

Barb,

I believe that is the point he has been trying to make all along, that open zone schools have "an unfair advantage".

He has been trying to get you to acknowledge that fact, ... which I believe you just have.:roflol:

Don't matter if it is South Pittsburg, Alcoa, Greeneville, or Maryville.

she's doesn't even realize that she's walked right into what i've been saying the whole time. roflolk.gif

+1 coming your way as soon as i can. thumb[1].gif

Edited by snoball5278

i do agree, and that would mean you agree that greeneville has a unfair advantage, right? roflol.gif

at the bottom of all sub forums there is a heading that sez; forum led by, your name is on it and everyone there is a moderator. whether or not you are, which would be odd since everyone else is, it's a shame that this 3a/4a forum is lead by someone that doesn't even follow one of the simplest of rules.

I wasn't aware I had been made a moderator, I certainly did not volunteer for the job and I don't get any reports. And no I don't agree...just playing the Devil's advocate...I could honestly care less whether TSSAA deals with ooz or not. Greeneville will follow the rules whatever they are and the talent will still come...It's a great little town, conveniently located with a rapidly recovering economy, great schools and beautiful scenery...did I mention I have a big ol' house for sale?