ENSWORTH OR MARYVILLE

Vols1234

Just a couple of thoughts here. First, so as to head off some of the flames, I like Maryville. Nice little community that backs the local team, which happens to be top flight. I don't follow college recruting, so I don't have any idea of how Maryville's prospects stacked up against Whitehaven's (or Ensworth's, or anybody else). I know from watching the first few plays of the championship game that I thought M'ville was overmatched and in for a rough night. by the end of the game, it was clear that Whitehaven's athletes were badly overmatched against Maryville's team. As I'm wont to do, I've said a lot to say this: I think Maryville is a really good program and I have a lot of respect for them.

I think two things drive most of us from the Div II schools to want to see Maryville play some of us is that we like good football. We think it would be a good game. I think MBA and BA's schedules suggest they're not afraid to test themselves against anybody, and if they take a beating, so be it. I'm not snubbing the other Div II schools, I'm just not as familiar with their schedule.

Secondly, and I think I speak for a lot of Div II people, we have some resentment over the way we've been treated by the TSSAA. We liked playing for a true state championship (like you get to do). We were exiled into a 12 team league. We travel all over The Underworld and half of Georgia for a division schedule, all for the privilige of playing a championship game on a Thursday night in the vacant lot behind the Lower Algood Baptist Church. We miss being part of a true statewide competition, and seeing how we stack up against teams outside our little circuit.

(And let's be clear here that the impetus for our exile came from BA thumping Loretto and Riverdale in play-off games. Of the Div II schools, I believe Baylor, Ryan, and CBHS each won a AAA crown, but neither picked up a second. BA won several state championships in lower divisions, and 2 in AAAAA. And, As Stars'n Bars points out so eloquently, they fared rather badly against y'all).

Lastly, why did MBA and EHS pass on the opportunity to play in the Blount County affair in Week 0? I can't speak for either school, but here's my guess. How Div II teams stack up against top Div I teams is a whole lot lore important to those of us on this board than it is the staff at either school. And I suspect if you ask Mr. Quarles, he's not pacing the floor at night wondering how his team would fare against a Divv II team not on his schedule. So while it means a lot to us, it's pretty low priority for the people making decisions. The figure of $3,500 has been bandied about as incentive for the Div II teams. That might cover travel expenses. Now, a home and home series would be a different matter. I suspect MHS playing at MBA would fill the house. Let's say 6,000 people at $5 per. That's $30 K. I don't think we'd begrudge y'all a big payday for us to come up there once, but it would be polite for you to reciprocate. I'd love to see it, but I just don't think it's a real big priority for any of the people making decisions.

So let's recap: We all have really good schools and football teams, though painfully, MBA's was less good this year. It'd be a lot of fun to see the game played, but it's not real likely because as much as we'd like it, the people who are paid to decide on these issues have bigger fish to fry than settling an argument between two groups of old guys who really let the antics of a bunch of 15-17 year old boys take up more of their time than it should. Since I'm retired, I'll have even more timne next year.

And a merry Christmas to all of you.

As a Maryville fan I would love to see Maryville play Ensworth,Brentwood Academy or MBA. I have no desire to go to Batesville,MS,Duncan,SC or Louisville KY to play Trinity. Not that I am scared to see Maryville play those teams but don't feel like spending a whole day on the road

Out of touch...let me show you how in touch I am.

In 2004 Maryville won the state championship and went 15-0. They had a good team if you compare them to who they played that year. They had a national rank of #64 and a state rank of #3. One of the better teams in Tn if you view the rankings that way. One spot below them was a team from Cincinnati ...Elder. Elder was ranked 65th nationally and had a record of 7-4. Who did Elder lose to that year:

National Rank

Colerain Cincinnati #1 21-3L

St Xavier Cincinnati #28 33-30L

Arch Bishop Moeller #20 27-21L

Colerain #1 38-3L

And who did Maryville Play: 2004

Heritage #4,263

William Blunt #1,597

South Doyle #6,697

Lenoir City #4,526

White County #4,148

Carter #6,306

Halls #4,527

Morristown #7,601

Powell #1,771

West #3,570

Knox Central # 687

Tennessee # 892

Melrose #292...they lost to Christian Brothers in Memphis

And you want me to believe Maryville could beat Cincinnati Elder that year?

2005 and 2006 were terrific Maryville teams. Both State Championships...Now Maryville is 45-0 in three seasons. They beat a good Alcoa team twice and beat Melrose and Hillsboro in the state championship. Two good teams.

Both Maryville teams were ranked top 19 national and number one in the state of Tennessee.

Who did Maryville play? 2005, 2006

I'll let you look them up since I do not have time to write all those high numbers again. I can keep going if you would like for me to further prove my point. Maryville is a good team, but they do not play a hard schedule. Have they won big games....sure. Are they a class program...absolutely. Are they one of the best teams in TN year end and year out...no question. The past two years in my mind have been the best two years for Maryville football because they have beaten a few very good teams....Smyrna in 10 and Whitehaven in 11, but until I see more teams of that caliber (spell check) and the caliber of some of the D2 teams on their schedule year end and year out... I am not buying all the hype nor drinking the cool-aide.

At least have your facts right if you are going to argue against Maryville. In 2004 Maryville didn't play Lenoir City,South Doyle or White County. Another thing Melrose was undefeated in 2004 going into the 4A Title game. Melrose also beat a highly rated team from the ST Louis area.

I would think there would be standing room only at all 3 games especially here! I know they are when all 3 play. BA is building a new football facility with more seating. My guess is people come from all over middle tennessee to see Maryville play and to watch quarles and bowers go head to head ... I would bet the standing room only would be similar to the BA - ensworth playoff game in 2010.... Especially if it was during a year like this one where both teams are stacked.

I would think there would be standing room only at all 3 games especially here! I know they are when all 3 play. BA is building a new football facility with more seating. My guess is people come from all over middle tennessee to see Maryville play and to watch quarles and bowers go head to head ... I would bet the standing room only would be similar to the BA - ensworth playoff game in 2010.... Especially if it was during a year like this one where both teams are stacked.

Are you in the Nashtroplex area of Middle TN?

I think you guys would draw in a ton of football fans all the way from Murfreesboro with how many people know you here. If you guys played ensworth here this year there would be alot of disappointed fans who probably would not have been able to get into the game. Top two teams in the state ... Matchup ...there is some of that in the matchups in murfreesboro as well as when ensworth - MBA and BA play and the alcoa - Maryville game. The ensworth BA game this year was packed and if they play in the playoffs ... Any of those teams draw from outside the school but I dont think they would draw like this game because all the privates here and many of the publics would be at that game. I would imagine 99 percent of the MBA and BA football players would be in the stands watching that game along with a slew of football fans from all over middle tn

Out of touch...let me show you how in touch I am.

In 2004 Maryville won the state championship and went 15-0. They had a good team if you compare them to who they played that year. They had a national rank of #64 and a state rank of #3. One of the better teams in Tn if you view the rankings that way. One spot below them was a team from Cincinnati ...Elder. Elder was ranked 65th nationally and had a record of 7-4. Who did Elder lose to that year:

National Rank

Colerain Cincinnati #1 21-3L

St Xavier Cincinnati #28 33-30L

Arch Bishop Moeller #20 27-21L

Colerain #1 38-3L

And who did Maryville Play: 2004

Heritage #4,263

William Blunt #1,597

South Doyle #6,697

Lenoir City #4,526

White County #4,148

Carter #6,306

Halls #4,527

Morristown #7,601

Powell #1,771

West #3,570

Knox Central # 687

Tennessee # 892

Melrose #292...they lost to Christian Brothers in Memphis

And you want me to believe Maryville could beat Cincinnati Elder that year?

2005 and 2006 were terrific Maryville teams. Both State Championships...Now Maryville is 45-0 in three seasons. They beat a good Alcoa team twice and beat Melrose and Hillsboro in the state championship. Two good teams.

Both Maryville teams were ranked top 19 national and number one in the state of Tennessee.

Who did Maryville play? 2005, 2006

I'll let you look them up since I do not have time to write all those high numbers again. I can keep going if you would like for me to further prove my point. Maryville is a good team, but they do not play a hard schedule. Have they won big games....sure. Are they a class program...absolutely. Are they one of the best teams in TN year end and year out...no question. The past two years in my mind have been the best two years for Maryville football because they have beaten a few very good teams....Smyrna in 10 and Whitehaven in 11, but until I see more teams of that caliber (spell check) and the caliber of some of the D2 teams on their schedule year end and year out... I am not buying all the hype nor drinking the cool-aide.

How can a poll determine if one team is better than another? High school rankings are a joke.

I would take Maryville to win in a close one for 2011.

As for the past , here is some more history from 2005.

Maryville 41 Alcoa 21

Alcoa 45 Mcallie 35

Brentwood Ac 38 Mcallie 35

Christian Bros 19 BA 17

MUS 31 CB 27 (DII STATE CHAMPIONSHIP)

And 2006 :

MHS 17 AHS 14

AHS 24 Mcallie 21

BA 37 Mcallie 34 (DII state championship)

Knox Fulton 24 AHS 21 B)

At least have your facts right if you are going to argue against Maryville. In 2004 Maryville didn't play Lenoir City,South Doyle or White County. Another thing Melrose was undefeated in 2004 going into the 4A Title game. Melrose also beat a highly rated team from the ST Louis area.

RebullRon hits ok...Nevur let tha fax git inn tha way ov a good argeemint..... :mrgreen:

I would take Maryville to win in a close one for 2011.

As for the past , here is some more history from 2005.

Maryville 41 Alcoa 21

Alcoa 45 Mcallie 35

Brentwood Ac 38 Mcallie 35

Christian Bros 19 BA 17

MUS 31 CB 27 (DII STATE CHAMPIONSHIP)

And 2006 :

MHS 17 AHS 14

AHS 24 Mcallie 21

BA 37 Mcallie 34 (DII state championship)

Knox Fulton 24 AHS 21 B)

It is a tad difficult to follow your post, but to the extent that you seek to rely on a "common opponent analysis" to compare D2 with D1, perhaps you should consider the following data, which is both more recent and much more direct (to my knowledge, these were the sole common opponents between Maryville and D 2 schools during each of these years, though there may be others):

Hillsboro 10

Maryville 7 (Championship game)

MBA 19

Hillsboro 14

White Station 37

Maryville 27 (Championship game)

MUS 55

White Station 35

Christian Bros. 27

White Station 0

(White Station did beat Briarcrest, a D2 school, during this season)

Maryville 23

Smyrna 21 (Championship game)

Ensworth 30

Smyrna 14

Maryville 30

Knox Webb 7

Ensworth 40

Knox Webb 0

Personally, I do not believe that a "common opponent analysis" is an accurate predictor of a football game which, unfortunately, did not take place. As I have said before, I do not know who would win a game between these two champions, and, more importantly, I don't really care, though I do find it interesting reading the thoughts that y'all have provided on these boards (other than the "I know for a fact that X would curb-stomp Y 'cause I said so" comments). I think the sole posters who are actually in a position to know of what they speak on this topic are the couple of Webb players who, unlike the rest of us, played against both teams prior to posting their thoughts. The bottom line from where I stand is that both programs have displayed excellence on the field this year. While it is fun to speculate, in my mind I would rather have a whole host of excellent programs in this State than a single, hypothetical "best"; this is not a zero-sum game - there is always plenty of room for excellence - the more the merrier. The kids have moved on with their studies and to basketball, wrestling, and the rest of their lives.

Thank you to the players, coaches and staffs of both teams for all of the great memories you provided to so many people through your effort and dedication over this past season - you are all champions, whether Rebel or Tiger. Best wishes to all of you as you move on to the next challenges and opportunities in your young lives.

Merry Christmas!

Edited by RedRobin

It is a tad difficult to follow your post, but to the extent that you seek to rely on a "common opponent analysis" to compare D2 with D1, perhaps you should consider the following data, which is both more recent and much more direct (to my knowledge, these were the sole common opponents between Maryville and D 2 schools during each of these years, though there may be others):

Hillsboro 10

Maryville 7 (Championship game)

MBA 19

Hillsboro 14

White Station 37

Maryville 27 (Championship game)

MUS 55

White Station 35

Christian Bros. 27

White Station 0

(White Station did beat Briarcrest, a D2 school, during this season)

Maryville 23

Smyrna 21 (Championship game)

Ensworth 30

Smyrna 14

Maryville 30

Knox Webb 7

Ensworth 40

Knox Webb 0

Personally, I do not believe that a "common opponent analysis" is an accurate predictor of a football game which, unfortunately, did not take place. As I have said before, I do not know who would win a game between these two champions, and, more importantly, I don't really care, though I do find it interesting reading the thoughts that y'all have provided on these boards (other than the "I know for a fact that X would curb-stomp Y 'cause I said so" comments). I think the sole posters who are actually in a position to know of what they speak on this topic are the couple of Webb players who, unlike the rest of us, played against both teams prior to posting their thoughts. The bottom line from where I stand is that both programs have displayed excellence on the field this year. While it is fun to speculate, in my mind I would rather have a whole host of excellent programs in this State than a single, hypothetical "best"; this is not a zero-sum game - there is always plenty of room for excellence - the more the merrier. The kids have moved on with their studies and to basketball, wrestling, and the rest of their lives.

Thank you to the players, coaches and staffs of both teams for all of the great memories you provided to so many people through your effort and dedication over this past season - you are all champions, whether Rebel or Tiger. Best wishes to all of you as you move on to the next challenges and opportunities in your young lives.

Merry Christmas!

So you want to hang your hat on the 2 "Sole posters " who joined 1 week ago just for this thread with a total of 3 posts ... no one ever pretends to be someone they're not , do they ? I bet if you had asked some of the Baylor players about Ensworth after that first game they would of given you a perfect read on your team ... right ?

Easy solution , next time when Maryville asks to play , don't make up all the excuses if you want to have bragging rights over us . I normally ignore the IFL losses that Maryville has every year , just don't think it's fair to take a loss this year to a team that had a chance to play a real game .