TSSAA Needs To Relocate Blue Cross Bowl

pegleg

There has NEVER been a better atmosphere than the 5A game on Friday night in Cookeville. If you were not there..then you can't form an "atmosphere" opinion! "Atmosphere" has everything to do with the two teams involved rather than the venue....the teams and communities represented dictate the atmosphere!

Secondly...LP Field will never host the TSSAA State Championships as long as they have a natural playing surface. It simply will not hold up to the pounding of 8 games in 3 days...this friends is a fact.

Next...speaking of surface...look for Vanderbilt to "get back in the mix" next time around when the bidding for this event is reopened. This is item is "high on the list" for the Vanderbilt football program and they will be a "serious contender" when the envelopes are opened!

Cookeville has done a TREMENDOUS job with the State Championships! Their Chamber of Commerce met our every request last week and even followed up to ensure our satisfaction! The citizens we met out in the community were complimentary and very hospitable! They are trully thankful having the rest of the state visit their town to "settle it on the field"! Good luck Cookeville/Putnam County in the next bid process!

Vandy has a natural playing surface, no ??...

I've wondered why the Titans don't change to the near turf type playing surface...Late in the year the field looks terrible...Looks to me they are spending more money to re-sod their field two-three times a season than it would be on the upkeep of an artificial type surface...

Our state championships do not warrant a big-time venue...Cookevile gives you that high school big game feel...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've wondered why the Titans don't change to the near turf type playing surface...Late in the year the field looks terrible...Looks to me they are spending more money to re-sod their field two-three times a season than it would be on the upkeep of an artificial type surface...

Our state championships do not warrant a big-time venue...Cookevile gives you that high school big game feel...

One of the many upgrades announced last Friday at the Vandy football press conference was the resurfacing of Dudley Field with a new field turf. (along with new video boards, lights, etc.)

Vandy is putting in Field Turf and upgrading facilities in the upcoming years.

IMO, the only way it needs to leave Tech is for Vandy. Tech is the perfect size for our state championship games. Players remember the atmosphere of games not where they dressed. Traffic is better in Cookeville and teams from the West travel only 45 more minutes.

Only advantage I see to the Georgia Dome is weather, and since we don't have an indoor option, no reason for a stadium that big.

Vandy (with turf), Boro, or TTU all probably okay. TTU's turf is old and slick, though, and locker rooms need update. Don't like the traffic and parking issues in the Boro. Never been to Vandy's stadium.

If I'm not mistaken, the venue gets the parking proceeds and concessions. T$$AA gets gate.

Personally, I think Cookeville needs and appreciates the business more. More importantly, the Putnam Co sheriff, Cookeville police, and TTU security already know me, and I got a 'get out o jail free' card; so, I vote for keepin it in Cookeville.:thumb:

TTU's field, as someone else said was slick. Had trouble keeping their footing. Too far East

to be a fair travel distance for all schools.

MTSU, not easy to get to, but better once you actually get there.

LP field, way too big, & likely way too expensive. Parking, not so easy either.

Vandy, been there, done that, hate that venue. Hospitality is near zero. Parking is

non-accommodating. Last time we were there, had to park at Centennial Park, which has

now made that more difficult. Vandy had several parking lots near the stadium empty &

roped off. The phrase" you can't get there from here" likely started on their soil.

Best reasonable bet would probably be MTSU.

As another poster said, this is up for the highest bidder. All about the $$$. Not likely to change.

Bullpoop. Have it in Nashville. Vandy or Titans. I sure don't like having to stay in a nasty motel in nowhereville. How would east teams like to drive to UTM for the game. Same garbage. Put it in nashville. That is where it belongs! don't ever want to spend a night in that part of the state again. I can smell knoxville from there. :roflolk:

Watching other state's championship games makes the way TSSAA handles our championship games look second rate.

Our kids deserve better and TSSAA should be able to see that,. It looks and sounds as they don't care what we think. Check out the way this is handled in other states, are we that much poorer than they are?

I'm not sure what criteria TSSAA uses to choose the sites but I assure you they do not consider the kids, fans or parents.

Let's hear it. Are you happy with Cookeville? What do you think?

Pegleg, if you want these games moved, you will have to ask that Childress man about this mess. If you make him mad about this he might make us pay more than 12 dollars to get into these games. You think im joking but im not

Edited by Roy Dillard

Even the 1A games look great in the Georgia Dome. Didn't seem to swallow the crowd at all. Tech 's facilities for the teams is pathetic, especially the dressing rooms. I'm sure they take care of officials but for others it seems second rate. Also the travel is a disadvantage for west teams.

We played at Vanderbilt in 1987 against Richland,had one of the biggest crowds at that time ever little over 9000 it was an awesome (atmosphere) even though it was a huge stadium,but the venue was great!Something about being in high school and playing in a D1 stadium is alot to take in we loved it.

We played at Vanderbilt in 1987 against Richland,had one of the biggest crowds at that time ever little over 9000 it was an awesome (atmosphere) even though it was a huge stadium,but the venue was great!Something about being in high school and playing in a D1 stadium is alot to take in we loved it.

SP played at Vandy in 1985 and 1986. We had some big crowds there as well. That said, I think there are 2 or 3 more years left on the current contract with Redneck Tech.

Edited by rlh

I thought that TTU was an outstanding place to have this event. Locker rooms were super convenient to the players sidelines (according to my son and his friends), and the stadium was quaint enough that it seemed full in the 5A game. I'm not sure the game would have felt as much like a "big game" in MTSU's stadium. I was incredibly pleased with the atmosphere. That said, it does seem like a small advantage to the East teams to not have to travel as far. However, the kids in the East had to go to more school than the kids from out West did that day...more chance for distractions. I'd be surprised if Henry County's students went to any classes that day...just not enough time. Powell's students went to their first two and a half classes of the day. Something to consider. The field did look a little slick, and I'm told it was really really hard as well. Pros and cons to TTU vs MTSU, but at the end of the day we are still dealing with the T$$AA and the almighty dollar rules the day.

Union City played Tyner in 97 @ Vandy...Nice size crowd, looked empty and not very good atmosphere..Anytime you play in front of mostly empty seats is bad atmosphere...They could build a brand new state of art stadium for Vandy and it would still s u c k ....I've always liked MTSU....I've never had a problem with parking in The Boro...Of course, I always get there early enough to get a spot...

I've watched TC play at Vandy (sucked) MTSU (better) and TTU (best). TTU is by far the best for a High School Game in TN. Best atmosphere by a mile. Best parking too. Just my opinion. Driving distance should not be considered...its a championship game , make provisions or be stuck crying about it. The teams should be allowed to arrive days earlier and get equal practice time on the actual surface. hungry.gif