Best Teams to NOT Win a State Title

CU06

I had this discussion the other day with someone. Who are some of the best teams in any given year who might "should" have won a state title? Or would have won had they not been upset etc... For example, the 2002 Riverdale team that was beat by Brentwood at state. This team was strong, and they proved it in '01 by going 15-0, but probably should have won back-to-back titles.

Edited by CU06

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Henry County in 2008. They had gone 12-2 the previous year, and returned a boat load of talent. That team started 2 SEC recruits at both QB and RB who were seniors. Over all, there were 10 players on that team who went on to be offered football scholarships. 3 of them were seniors, and 7 of them were juniors. Crazy thing is, they didn't even lose to Maryville. They lost in the semis to eventual 4A state champion Hillsboro 31-24. Maybe not the best team to never win state, but personally the best team I've ever seen that didn't even make it to state. I mean that team rolled over EVERYONE. It almost seemed like destiny for us to meet Maryville in the title game, but Hillsboro would have none of it. It was like we hit a brick wall in that semifinal game. Although I must admit that Hillsboro team was awesome. I'm not sure I've ever seen a high school defense with as much speed as they had. And they did go on to end Maryville's 74 game winning streak the following week, so at least we lost to the champs lol.

Edited by RedSwarm10

Henry County in 2008. They had gone 12-2 the previous year, and returned a boat load of talent. That team started 2 SEC recruits at both QB and RB who were seniors. Over all, there were 10 players on that team who went on to be offered football scholarships. 3 of them were seniors, and 7 of them were juniors. Crazy thing is, they didn't even lose to Maryville. They lost in the semis to eventual 4A state champion Hillsboro 31-24. Maybe not the best team to never win state, but personally the best team I've ever seen that didn't even make it to state. I mean that team rolled over EVERYONE. It almost seemed like destiny for us to meet Maryville in the title game, but Hillsboro would have none of it. It was like we hit a brick wall in that semifinal game. Although I must admit that Hillsboro team was awesome. I'm not sure I've ever seen a high school defense with as much speed as they had. And they did go on to end Maryville's 74 game winning streak the following week, so at least we lost to the champs lol.

I agree. I was impressed by that 2008 Henry County team. I'll admit, after the 2006 semifinal game against Henry County, I didn't expect them to be as good as advertised because the vast majority of the teams they played that year were so inferior, I thought for sure when they finally played a good team that could compete with them, they would find themselves illprepared and crumble. BUT they gave HHS all they wanted.

Shoot, Marsalis Teague ran around right end for a stupid long TD on the first play from scrimmage and then played CB that game and came clear across the field from the opposite hash to out-jump Eric Gordon in the redzone for an interception in one of the most athletic plays I've ever seen at the high school level. Then, he returned a kickoff for a TD in the final minutes to pull Henry County to the final score of 31-24. I can still remember that game vividly. The atmosphere, emotion, and big-time plays being traded by several future Division 1 athletes scattered all over the field. It was one of the best football games I've seen at the high school level.

Congratulations, btw to Henry County's football team on winning their first state championship in football this past year. If I remember correctly, they lost in the semifinals in 2006, 2007, and 2008. I speak from experience when I say, it's always euphoric to finally break down a barrier like that.

I have to also throw HHS's 2001 and 2002 teams up for some consideration and I believe I likely would get some Maryville fans who remember those games to agree with that mention. Both went 14-1, losing to some very good Maryville teams in consecutive state championship games by a combined 10 points.

Edited by BurroBall

I agree. I was impressed by that 2008 Henry County team. I'll admit, after the 2006 semifinal game against Henry County, I didn't expect them to be as good as advertised because the vast majority of the teams they played that year were so inferior, I thought for sure when they finally played a good team that could compete with them, they would find themselves illprepared and crumble. BUT they gave HHS all they wanted.

Shoot, Marsalis Teague ran around right end for a stupid long TD on the first play from scrimmage and then played CB that game and came clear across the field from the opposite hash to out-jump Eric Gordon in the redzone for an interception in one of the most athletic plays I've ever seen at the high school level. Then, he returned a kickoff for a TD in the final minutes to pull Henry County to the final score of 31-24. I can still remember that game vividly. The atmosphere, emotion, and big-time plays being traded by several future Division 1 athletes scattered all over the field. It was one of the best football games I've seen at the high school level.

Congratulations, btw to Henry County's football team on winning their first state championship in football this past year. If I remember correctly, they lost in the semifinals in 2006, 2007, and 2008. I speak from experience when I say, it's always euphoric to finally break down a barrier like that.

I have to also throw HHS's 2001 and 2002 teams up for some consideration and I believe I likely would get some Maryville fans who remember those games to agree with that mention. Both went 14-1, losing to some very good Maryville teams in consecutive state championship games by a combined 10 points.

Oak Ridge in 94..We lost to the #4 team in the nation Riverdale 21-7 in the semifinals. Was our only loss that year 13-1. Far from an upset, Riverdale was the favorite, but a great hard nosed Oak Ridge team it was. Riverdale was just a machine that year.

Edited by SweetScience

Eye'd haiv two agree wif Burro.....Tha '02 Hillsburro teem iz tha best teem eye've seed Mairvul beet...

Az fer Mairvul eye wood haiv two say tha '75 teem that lost two Loud-un inn tha semis inn overtime att Evvurt (aftur endin tha Redskins winnin streek inn 4 ovurtimes inn tha ragular seesun)....

and tha '84 teem that lost two Marry-un Cowntee inn tha semis (loosin' Troy Hodge Sr. that yeer in tha finull ragular seesun gaim agin Alcouh rilly hert an awesum runnin' gaim wif Hodge, Alan Fine, and Jimbo Henderson).... :popcorneater:

I had this discussion the other day with someone. Who are some of the best teams in any given year who might "should" have won a state title? Or would have won had they not been upset etc... For example, the 2002 Riverdale team that was beat by Brentwood at state. This team was strong, and they proved it in '01 by going 15-0, but probably should have won back-to-back titles.

i disagree while we could have won that game we was lucky to even be in that game we beat 2 teams that was probably better than we were just to get into the state championship game...it was a good team and we had a lot of SRS on that 01 team but we didnt have a solid tailback and our best WR was out with a broken leg

I am sure there would be a few teams in alcoa's division who have not won it all, but who were very good teams. I know a little more bout murvil's division, so I will stick with it and the local teams.

Recent history: The Farragut team from a couple of years ago (09) was good.

Less Recent history: I don't remember the years (think 03/04), but the Knox Central team(s) that had Cassen Jackson were VERY good. Had it not been for murvil, they had a great chance to win it.

Ancient history: Being as biased as I can be, the 82 murvil team was strong. It had a bunch of BIG boys. This was Ayers' sr year. That jr class was also huge, and a few of the soph's were big enough to fit in. Lost at Cleveland in semi's who lost in finals 7-0 to Brentwood. I guess I should also include that Cleveland team! I should also mention the '81 Kingston team that put us out in the semi's and also lost to Brentwood in the finals.

Dinosaur age: One of the "rule high" teams in the late 70's. Mike Cofer's team was good (particularly him - a PARADE AA), but I think it was the middle cofer's team that was pretty loaded. Can't remember the names, but I remember a good rb and a good qb. Think they also had another stud lineman named Meade?

I am sure there would be a few teams in alcoa's division who have not won it all, but who were very good teams. I know a little more bout murvil's division, so I will stick with it and the local teams.

Dinosaur age: One of the "rule high" teams in the late 70's. Mike Cofer's team was good (particularly him - a PARADE AA), but I think it was the middle cofer's team that was pretty loaded. Can't remember the names, but I remember a good rb and a good qb. Think they also had another stud lineman named Meade?

sx...bein' oldur than dirt eye cain hep ewe out on tham dineysores....Mike Cofer(TE) and Terry Minor(QB) weir vurry good in tha '80 footbawl seesun fer tha Goldun Bares....Tha good littul runninbaik on that teem wuz Tim Lively....Eye beeleeve thay lost two Brintwood inn tha finulls bye a point ere too.... :popcorneater:

Edited by STARSNBARS

84 Maryville

2002 Hillsboro

98 Elizabethon

If you throw out the 98 Elizabethton team the the 1998 Greeneville team has to be on the list. They Beat that Elizabthton team 28-6 in the regular season and where a perfect 10-0. Elizabethton beat them in the play-offs because of some Stupid Decisions (Long Story) made by half the starters before that game.