STATE PLAYOFFS - FAIR OR UNFAIR

devilsden

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two teams in 3A and 3 teams in 4A with loosing records. There are no teams with a 5-5 record that aren't in the playoffs. Is the system working?

I feel that this current playoff system is working fairly well. In the old system you would have alot more sub 500 record teams making the playoffs while teams with better records from other districts stayed at home. Under the current system, you have much better fields.

In 2A, there is only one team (BTW) in the tournament with a sub 500 record. In fact, there are only 2 teams with 5-5 records that made the show in 2A. In 2A, all but 3 teams won at least 6 games. If they would do some changes to the seeding process, I really like the system we currently have.

I like these suggestions. Let's get rid of runner-up having seeding preferences. Also no two teams from the same district in the same Quad. The lower seed team travels.

Say you have two district champs in the quad, #1 and #3 are from the same district-for example Knoxville to Tri-Cities districts..does the #3 potentially have to go to the Chattanooga to Nashville quad and 4-8 get to stay local?

The system will be unfair until there is a public/private school spilt. Also, we only need 5 classes. Top 2 teams in per district, and a hand full of at large bids. You should not go to the playoffs at 4-6 or even 5-5. 6-4 should be the minimum for getting in and can only happen and keep 5 rounds in a 5a system.

Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

Now I know I'm going to get a lot of dislike for my statement but I grew up in a time when their was only 3 Classifications. Their were no special divisions. The current system is so watered down that ( and here comes the hate from people) there are teams in the playoffs that don't belong.

Not going to dislike just disagree somewhat. Take district 4 from class 3A, they consistantly have a strong district. This is why I have no problem with more teams, because a weak district can have 2 teams that would end up maybe not good enough to make playoffs in another district. It also allows for seniors to get another game under their belt, so this part is ok with me.

I would however be ok with flipping the pods each week. You could have the upper bracket from quad 1 flip with quad 2 after first round. The top seeded team would face the lower seed, with the lower seed traveling. They could flip until round 3 in which quad 1 could then flip to quad 3 and quad 2 would flip to quad 4. Why you ask? This would give a better indication of weaker districts being eliminated by stronger ones giving you a more true strength of teams throughout the playoffs, maybe not in earlier rounds but the later ones, therefore creating a better quality championship game.

I'll explain with Quads 1 and 2 in 3-A

Quad 1 Round 1

1)Elizabethton 1)Elizabethton

8)Johnson Co.

4)Gat.-Pitt 5) Chuckey Doak

5)Chuckey Doak

3)Cumb Gap 3) Cumb Gap

6) West Green

7)Unicoi 2) Sullivan North

2)Sullivan North

Quad 2 Round 1

1)Alcoa 1)Alcoa

2)MCentral

4)Sweetwater 5)Tyner

5)Tyner

3)CAK 3)CAK

6)Loudon

7)Kingston 7)Kingston

2)Polk Co.

Round 2 with flipped Quads

1)Alcoa 1)Alcoa

5)Chucky Doak

1)Elizabethton 1)Elizabethton

5)Tyner

2)Sullivan N. 2)CAK

3)CAK

3)Cuberland Gap 3)Cuberland Gap

7)Kingston

Round 3 Outer bracket vs. inner bracket

1)Alcoa

3)Cumberlan Gap

1)Elizabeton

3)CAK

Once Round 4 begins this is when EAST vs. WEST

I am in no shape or form predicting games just trying to give examples. This would eliminat top seeds from district teams from facing each other throughout the tournament.

Edited by logcabinman

Say you have two district champs in the quad, #1 and #3 are from the same district-for example Knoxville to Tri-Cities districts..does the #3 potentially have to go to the Chattanooga to Nashville quad and 4-8 get to stay local?

Nah, If you had to go to a different quad but were still a 1-4 seed, you would still have a home game, i.e. CAK this year would be in Quad 1, and Sullivan North would be in Quad 2, but both would have home games this round.

The system will be unfair until there is a public/private school spilt. Also, we only need 5 classes. Top 2 teams in per district, and a hand full of at large bids. You should not go to the playoffs at 4-6 or even 5-5. 6-4 should be the minimum for getting in and can only happen and keep 5 rounds in a 5a system.

all i gotta say is. Livingston Academy. 5-5 in season. then wins 3A state championship over David Lipscomb aka Lipscomb Academy now.