CAK vs. Milan ( This Bradley man vs. this Morris man)

Roy Dillard

This is what I find MOST interesting about this matchup...

Somewhere between the State Title game last year and this week, I have no doubt that the coaches from Milan took a look at the tape from the finals last year and went back over it and tried to figure out what they would do differently. Look, I don't think anyone blames them for what happened last season. I think CAK played about as perfect of a game as they could've possibly played on both sides of the ball, and really came out and shellshocked the Bulldogs. The Milan staff had to feel good about their chances about getting back to the big game this year after returning so many players and had to realize that they would more than likely face a CAK team again that returned so much firepower. I guess what I am most interested in seeing in the game on Friday is what Coach Morris and the Milan staff have learned in a year's time. They've had a year to prepare for this game. I think CAK will have a VERY hard time stopping Coleman, and I honestly don't know that they can. That's more power on power. Schematically, I'm interested to see what the Milan coaches have come up with in a year's time.

I remember back several years ago, every time Milan would play University School of Jackson, who passes 80% of the time, Morris would man up on the corners and blitz all night and was successful with it. Now, I do think this CAK team is ALOT better than those USJ teams, but I could see Morris blitzing backers from all directions and maybe some zone blitz to try and make the game alot tougher on CAK's QB. If Milan's corners hold up, the blitzing would almost take away the dual threat of Charlie High. This game is going to be interesting to say the least.... for some reason, I just think this is Milan's best chance in years to win a state championship.

I remember back several years ago, every time Milan would play University School of Jackson, who passes 80% of the time, Morris would man up on the corners and blitz all night and was successful with it. Now, I do think this CAK team is ALOT better than those USJ teams, but I could see Morris blitzing backers from all directions and maybe some zone blitz to try and make the game alot tougher on CAK's QB. If Milan's corners hold up, the blitzing would almost take away the dual threat of Charlie High. This game is going to be interesting to say the least.... for some reason, I just think this is Milan's best chance in years to win a state championship.

Go back and watch the game from last season... this was the Milan approach. Charlie High set every TSSAA state championship game record there is a for a QB... in the first half.

Go back and watch the game from last season... this was the Milan approach. Charlie High set every TSSAA state championship game record there is a for a QB... in the first half.

Yea... I didn't watch last years game due to me being out of town.... I guess with that being said, Milan shouldn't attempt this strategy again, lol. I guess hope for a good pass rush by the DLine and stay in lanes and jam the WR's as much as possible.... or just keep your offense on the field and run the play clock down to 1 second every time and make some 7-8 minute drives!

hey fbd. who was the player that broke his leg in game last year? was he a senior?

That was actually my son. He was #18 and played MLB. He was a senior and has graduated. He just recently had the plate and screws removed that were required to repair his broken ankle. It was pretty bad, but he is doing well now. He attends UT and is trying to learn how to play intramural flag football without getting excessive contact penalties, ha.

hey fbd if CAK was guaranteed 35 pts would you take your chances with it?

You must set the lines for Vegas :mrgreen: Can I let you know Friday evening around 7pm? ha. But to answer your question, no I wouldn't. Offense is our biggest weapon and I never want to limit them to merely 35 pts. Our defensive struggles are well documented. We gave up 36 to Alcoa and 34 to Betsy. But give me 38 and I will ride.

Edited by FootballDad

Just wanted to say good luck to both teams from a Gville fan. I will be staying after our game with huntingdon to watch you guys game. I hope some of the folks from Milan and CAK will get there early to watch our game. Should be a dandy!

Once again, good luck to Milan and CAK on a clean injury free game.

Thanks for your well wishes, and the same for Gordonsville and Huntington. I will be there early enough to catch at least the 2nd half. Its a great atmosphere and exciting to watch even if you don't have a dog in the fight. I'll try to help cheer Gordonsville on to victory since you guys are further east than Huntington, ha. Soak it all up when you get there, never know how long it will be until you get back (unless your Milan, they seem to live there, ha.)

Only a few teams have slowed this offense over the past 2-3 years. When Alcoa had a couple of pass rushing beasts at DE and 3 very athletic and fast DB's that could man up with a safety over the top they were able to keep our point totals lower than average. But others that have tried that approach just couldn't pull it off, like Austin East in the semi's last year. Wing T style teams have presented a few problems over the past few years. They chew up clock and score slowly, keeping our offense on the sidelines. But once they fall behind they are in trouble trying to play catchup. I don't think there is a textbook way of trying to shut down the CAK offense, just play hard, keep everything in front of you, be sure tacklers in the open field, try to confuse or pressure CH as best you can, and hope he makes some mistakes and that your offense can keep him and his offensive weapons on the sideline. I honestly would hate to be any DC trying to find an answer to CAK's offense. Its certainly possible to slow the Warriors down, but very very difficult.

Only a few teams have slowed this offense over the past 2-3 years. When Alcoa had a couple of pass rushing beasts at DE and 3 very athletic and fast DB's that could man up with a safety over the top they were able to keep our point totals lower than average. But others that have tried that approach just couldn't pull it off, like Austin East in the semi's last year. Wing T style teams have presented a few problems over the past few years. They chew up clock and score slowly, keeping our offense on the sidelines. But once they fall behind they are in trouble trying to play catchup. I don't think there is a textbook way of trying to shut down the CAK offense, just play hard, keep everything in front of you, be sure tacklers in the open field, try to confuse or pressure CH as best you can, and hope he makes some mistakes and that your offense can keep him and his offensive weapons on the sideline. I honestly would hate to be any DC trying to find an answer to CAK's offense. Its certainly possible to slow the Warriors down, but very very difficult.

There is no stopping CAK's offense.... like you said, it's all about contain, contain, contain.... don't give up the big plays and hope for a miscue on CAK's part...

You guys are fun to watch as I've watched the CAK/Alcoa game in the reg. season and then CAK/Elizabethton the other night... I'm just pulling for Coach Morris and Milan to win another gold ball this year.

That was actually my son. He was #18 and played MLB. He was a senior and has graduated. He just recently had the plate and screws removed that were required to repair his broken ankle. It was pretty bad, but he is doing well now. He attends UT and is trying to learn how to play intramural flag football without getting excessive contact penalties, ha.

FBD, I was at the game last year and have pictures of this if you are interested. I know it's not something you would want to re-live, but if you were one of the ones helping him off the field, I thought it might be a touching moment and be cool to have you two coming off the field arm in arm.

If not, please disregard. (tried to find where I could send you a private message on this, but didn't see it so I'm just putting it out here for now).