Charlie High

lovemesomehsfb

Better or worse than this past season?

It's really hard to tell at this point? Last season we were 9-1 and due to injuries kinda fell apart in the play-offs? This year it ALL depends on How much and How Bad they want it? Over -All we have a Really Good Junior class moving up! If our Offense would take some Notes from Coach Bradley at CAK and we can get the right guys in the right positions on offense and defense and get rid of that 50 yr old out of date one trick pony wingT offense GCA would be VERY hard to handle this year No Doubt!

• 2 weeks later...

Its being reported Charlie High has accepted to be a preferred walk-on at Tennessee. Joining Athlete Devaun Swafford from Kingsport and Long-Snapper Brad Spelman from Hilliard, Ohio who announced he would accept a preferred walk on opportunity at Tennessee. Spelman had the same offer from Penn State and Cincinnati.

Edited by Sequatchie

That out of date wing T has won Webb and few state titles. While playing with big boys (Maryville, Alcoa, Baylor etc.)

Webb has a great program and is obviously to be congratulated on its many championships. However, the way you've couched it in terms of Webb "playing with big boys" makes it sound like they've had to fight their way through a very tough field of opponents en route to those championships.

I am not aware of Webb playing Alcoa before 2012, and I'm not sure they've ever played Maryville (if they have I suspect someone will correct me, and I am aware they are going to play Maryville in 2013--let's see how that works out for them).

In any event, Webb has certainly not had to play either one of those teams in a playoff game on its path to a state championship. Nor has Webb had to play Baylor on its way to a state championship; Baylor is in Division II AA (the larger school subdivision of Division II).

The team Webb beat for its 2012 state championship had a 4-6 regular season record. There are just simply very few teams in Division II A, and half or more of the teams make the playoffs.

For Webb to really "play with the big boys" in the sense of competing against the big boys for a championship, it will have to either "play up" to Division II AA (and thereby have to play against the likes of Baylor and Ensworth in the playoffs), or stop giving athletic scholarships and move to Division I. Neither of those things is likely to happen.

Webb has a great program and is obviously to be congratulated on its many championships. However, the way you've couched it in terms of Webb "playing with big boys" makes it sound like they've had to fight their way through a very tough field of opponents en route to those championships.

I am not aware of Webb playing Alcoa before 2012, and I'm not sure they've ever played Maryville (if they have I suspect someone will correct me, and I am aware they are going to play Maryville in 2013--let's see how that works out for them).

In any event, Webb has certainly not had to play either one of those teams in a playoff game on its path to a state championship. Nor has Webb had to play Baylor on its way to a state championship; Baylor is in Division II AA (the larger school subdivision of Division II).

The team Webb beat for its 2012 state championship had a 4-6 regular season record. There are just simply very few teams in Division II A, and half or more of the teams make the playoffs.

For Webb to really "play with the big boys" in the sense of competing against the big boys for a championship, it will have to either "play up" to Division II AA (and thereby have to play against the likes of Baylor and Ensworth in the playoffs), or stop giving athletic scholarships and move to Division I. Neither of those things is likely to happen.

Webb played Maryville the 1st game of the year in 2011 and got hammered 30-7.

Congratulations to High on the walk on opportunity at UT. By the way does anyone know how big Chad Pennington was when he came out of Webb (I think). Pennington was overlooked by D1 schools coming out of high school (rightfully so by his own admission). Wondering if there may be a parallel between the two but I think Pennington is taller. He did pretty well after Marshall.

Edited by plumb69

Chad was a legit 6'3"

Congratulations to High on the walk on opportunity at UT. By the way does anyone know how big Chad Pennington was when he came out of Webb (I think). Pennington was overlooked by D1 schools coming out of high school (rightfully so by his own admission). Wondering if there may be a parallel between the two but I think Pennington is taller. He did pretty well after Marshall.

Yes, congratulations to Charlie. I'm sure he and his family are relieved to finally have made a decision. He will now get a chance to prove to himself if he can play at the SEC level. Having 2 CAK teammates on the team with him should be comforting. He should not have any problems learning and understanding the play book. I suspect he will be the most prepared incoming QB. He will have to reacquaint himself with taking snaps under center and his 3,5 & 7 step drops. Its up to him now to prove if height is over rated. Good luck Charlie. I know you will do your best, regardless of how things turn out.

Marshall was still a D1-AA program when Pennington signed and went there. Pennington ended up played as a true freshman because of injury to a couple of QBs ahead of him , then redshirted in his second year when Alec Kessler transferred from Florida to Marshall for his senior year, and then in Chad's third year (sophomore year of eligibility) Marshall made the move from D1-AA to D1-A. As somebody else said, Chad was already 6'2" when he signed with Marshall, but he only weighed about 170. The redshirt year his second year gave him an opportunity to hit the weight room hard and bulk up.