District 3AAA

DyronNix

Well im afraid there are quite a few streaks like that when it comes to OR. LOL. But, with the way our district is improving, i think the gap is closing a bit. You guys know im a big 3AAA fan and I believe top to bottom were the best district in east tn. We have 4 really good teams, 2 or 3 that can beat you on a given night, and then a couple that are down right now but winning a few games.

I mean, look at it like this. OR went up to the Arbys, played some of the best teams from their respective states, went an impressive 3-1, and they have lost to district leader Powell at home, won by 1 point at Halls, only beat our 7th place team by 12. As good as they are, do you think these other teams couldve finished 3-1 against that competition? Probably not, but in our district, we can all play with anybody. Its a fun district to watch. If you havent been out to watch some of these games, youre really missing some good players, alot of good coaches, and some some hilarious student sections. (halls, cc, clinton).

Good post. Couldn't agree more. Also with district play comes familiarity, these teams know each other like the backs of their hands and know the schemes they run etc. District play, just like in conference play in collegiate basketball is harder then out of conference play a lot for those reasons i named. Plus, don't you think Halls would just love to beat OR more then anything? That has something to do with it too. The rivalry aspect. Say Halls is gonna try A LOT harder against us i believe then say they would against an out of district foe. Kinda sounds weird, but i believe that. And vice versa as well.

Edited by SweetScience

Agreed. Very impressive.

I went back and looked at those records from years past. Our team in 2007-08 was unreal. They blew out a lot of teams. Science Hill included..Lost to Memphis Central by 2 and barely lost to White Station in the state tournament. Them daggum Powell Panthers beat us 72-70 that year, too..Them dang Panthers! hah.That was an awesome team. 13-1 in district play and 32-3 overall. Great Ricky Norris coached team.

Edited by SweetScience

I went back and looked at those records from years past. Our team in 2007-08 was unreal. They blew out a lot of teams. Science Hill included..Lost to Memphis Central by 2 and barely lost to White Station in the state tournament. Them daggum Powell Panthers beat us 72-70 that year, too..Them dang Panthers! hah.That was an awesome team. 13-1 in district play and 32-3 overall. Great Ricky Norris coached team.

I remember both that Powell team and Oak Ridge team in 2007-2008. That game was an awesome game to watch as Powell won with the seconds ticking down. Those two teams were two of the best teams I have seen at both schools in years. Oak Ridge was big and lined up 5'9, 6'2, 6'4, 6'7, and 6'9. Powell was smaller, but were very very fast, athletic, and could really shoot and score. Something else to consider is to think about the level of talent in the East Tennessee area back then and to go 32-3 is very impressive. Oak Ridge was number 1 in the state when Powell beat them and Nationally ranked according to powerade 50 rankings. No disrespect to the teams in the district now, but you take that Powell or Oak Ridge team and put them in the district now and it is ugly for everyone lol.

I miss watching basketball from the 2005-08 time period. East TN area was loaded with talent from top to bottom. In all the years I have been watching high school basketball I have never seen as much talent in this east tn area. A lot of teams lined up like colleges size wise if you look at Oak Ridge, Maryville, Bearden, Farragut, Fulton, AE, Carter, etc.

Edited by basketball1234

BBall1234,

AC basketball was loaded during that time period as well.... 20+ win seasons year in and year out. I think the best record in school history was during that time period (26-5). Only problem was that AE and Fulton were loaded too. Yes, this time period was when AC was in AA, but they competed with any and every AAA team that they played. There has been a definite drop in talent in the area. Some schools have been hurt much more than others though.

BBall1234,

AC basketball was loaded during that time period as well.... 20+ win seasons year in and year out. I think the best record in school history was during that time period (26-5). Only problem was that AE and Fulton were loaded too. Yes, this time period was when AC was in AA, but they competed with any and every AAA team that they played. There has been a definite drop in talent in the area. Some schools have been hurt much more than others though.

Lake City Lakers used to have some really good teams back before they became AC. I remember when Steve Shipley coached @ AC. Then he came to Oak Ridge and coached. Had some really good teams at Oak Ridge when i was little. Does Darrell Miller ring a bell to any OR basketball fans? Great player for OR during those times. Could 2 hand slam with ease, right under the basket. Man, i had some fun times growing up as a kid watching some of those old OR teams in the old gym. About died of heat exhaustion a few times, but it was fun lol

Lake City Lakers used to have some really good teams back before they became AC. I remember when Steve Shipley coached @ AC. Then he came to Oak Ridge and coached. Had some really good teams at Oak Ridge when i was little. Does Darrell Miller ring a bell to any OR basketball fans? Great player for OR during those times. Could 2 hand slam with ease, right under the basket. Man, i had some fun times growing up as a kid watching some of those old OR teams in the old gym. About died of heat exhaustion a few times, but it was fun lol

Not just Darrell Miller but Alfred Jones (KY Football) may have been more athletic!

Sweet Science and Carolina Crazy....sorry to invade your space again but the last 4-AAA post is/was from 2010. Need a little dose of hoops LOL

Edited by IrishBBall

Not just Darrell Miller but Alfred Jones (KY Football) may have been more athletic!

Sweet Science and Carolina Crazy....sorry to invade your space again but the last 4-AAA post is/was from 2010. Need a little dose of hoops LOL

No problem. Looks like your team is getting it together at the right time. Won 4 in a row. What was up with that 2-0 win at that tourny? Did the forfeit or just not show up ? I know u think im crazy, but I think you guys can pull one off tonight vs. Bearden. Your getting healthy and been playing alot better lately. Good game against Karns, so good luck.

No problem. Looks like your team is getting it together at the right time. Won 4 in a row. What was up with that 2-0 win at that tourny? Did the forfeit or just not show up ? I know u think im crazy, but I think you guys can pull one off tonight vs. Bearden. Your getting healthy and been playing alot better lately. Good game against Karns, so good luck.

Playing pretty well. Had a team from Kentucky pull out of our Christmas tourney after the coach was tossed following a blowout loss to West in the second round. Told our coach they were going home and wouldn't be back for the last game against us. They were terrible but missing several starters including Tristan Thompson's (Cleveland Cavs) brother. We could beat Bearden if we shoot the ball well. Had OR beat and lost to Maryville by 1 missing a layup off an IB play at the end. Hopefully every one is back healthy....

Heck, I jumped over in a BRAC forum. LOL You know Im bored! LOLGonna try and Go to AC game tonight. Cant stand the thought of going to Halls two games in a row. CC is fighting some bad injuries right now, so I think the better game is at AC..