Class AA State Tournament Thread

howdoitknow

Who are you to challenge the intelligence of any coach that is in the tournament? What team do you coach, what is your record, and what is your accomplishment? Even then, you still have no business doing such. Thank you.

And yes, a 10 point lead with this group usually holds. But, at this point, no lead is safe.

So misremembering the coaches name invalidates the response? Pray tell, who in the heck gives up uncontested layups for the sake of keeping their players out of foul trouble in the last minute of a game? I'm challenging the intelligence of that strategy and I don't think ANY coach with state tournament credentials is that stupid. Do you?

well first of all if your going to mention a coach make sure you know who the coach is first. Melton has been gone 2 years to Smith Co.

Let me rephrase my comments about the end of the game. They were not completely uncontested just not guarded enough to foul them

Like MC would have liked. No coach Miller would not want them to just let them score points but he didn't want them shooting free throws either.

LA had enough of a lead that they could loosely guard MC and if they hit a shot in the last min of the game it really didn't matter.

t's not like they left MC a wide open lane and said lay it in.

Could you describe briefly and honestly your teams?

I am a CPA fan. They obviously have a lot of talent, very good point guard (Bonds) whose strength is defense and running the show (doesn't need to score). All of their players are athletic, but they are a bit thin at guard other than Bonds. Their starters are probably the best 5 in the state, but they are much better in a full court game than 1/2 court. Struggle in set offense sometimes.

Starters are all over 6' with Lindsey and Blackwell 6'6'. Allsmiller has had over 100 treys each of the last 3 years. Wonder what the career TSSAA record is for 3's? Top 3 bench players would start for almost any team.

CPA is defending champ has not lost to a Tennessee team in the last 60 games. No seniors on the team.

Interested in hearing an honest (not homey) description of your team.

Allsmiller hasn't quite gotten to 100 yet this year- not that he won't, but he isn't there yet (he is at 93). I would be willing to bet if he does get the TSSAA record for made 3's that he will also get the record for attempted 3's- my recollection is that he shot around 320 3's last year, not sure about this year or his freshman year. :rolleyes: He benefits from the fact that CPA has a really good inside and driving game and many defenders have left him wide open to defend the interior (and have paid for it). Will be interesting to see what he will do at the next level.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night. I'm as qualified as any basketball fan to question the logic of not fouling in the last minute of the game to keep your guys out of foul trouble. What trouble? There's a freakin' minute left in the game. Not to prolong this misery much longer for other posters that are more interested in the AA state tournament but..............the logic is to not foul so as to not stop the clock so that the opposing team doesn't score points while the clock isn't running. I'm only using your guys words. I wasn't at the game. Is there some reason why you would mind someone fouling out in the last minute of the game with a 10 point lead (or whatever substantive lead you might have had)? What is the strategy there King? Just as a basketball novice that just fell off the turnip truck, inquiring minds want to know. I think if you ask whoever coaches LA that he would tell you that he wanted to keep the clock running rather than he was worried about somebody getting in foul trouble with a minute in the game. That's just me though. Your mileage may vary. I'm still learning the game here. Help me out.

There's plenty of time. There won't be another boys basketball game played for a couple of weeks.

Edited by ksgovols

Allsmiller hasn't quite gotten to 100 yet this year- not that he won't, but he isn't there yet (he is at 93). I would be willing to bet if he does get the TSSAA record for made 3's that he will also get the record for attempted 3's- my recollection is that he shot around 320 3's last year, not sure about this year or his freshman year. :rolleyes: He benefits from the fact that CPA has a really good inside and driving game and many defenders have left him wide open to defend the interior (and have paid for it). Will be interesting to see what he will do at the next level.

I know he has 93, but was assuming he would get 100. He may not. I agree with a lot of your points, but anyone with athletic accomplishments got them due to the circumstances they are in. Why do we have to minimize the fact that he is a good player, has worked hard to be a double figure scorer on the best AA team in the state, and has made 300 3's in 3 years? Rather than questioning his college potential, why can't you just appreciate what he has done. Apparently it is special as no one else has done it the last 3 years. I would be willing to bet he has sacrificed his scoring average by playing on CPA. He would average more playing for a lesser team.And I don't know, but I would bet he has hit high 30's to low 40's percent of his threes. He doesn't take that many shots a game.

I'm not just referring to CPA, but any school that requires tuition should only play for a title against other schools that also require tuition, and have enrollment size divisions within those guidelines. I know that seems like a pretty broad statement, but where else to draw the line?

I'm sure I'm opening a can of worms with that statement! *grabs popcorn*

• Upvote 1

From what I have read Coachfooz… is one of others who have expressed the concern how tuition bills are being paid, which involves how work study is being used, including those who qualify and would receive financial aid at DII schools. His solution – play DII which would also eliminate conflict with the school’s mission statement.

For those just dialing in, all five starters did come to CPA in 8th grade with one of them immediately starting on the high school team. The four juniors came to CPA at the same time, highly unusual and extremely unique, having played for Maddux in AAU. According to TSSAA, a transfer is considered any student who leaves a school before completing the highest grade offered at that level. Since 8th grade is the highest level to complete at middle school, wouldn’t all be considered transfers?

It is what it is! Drew has found the loop holes. Is it the way it should be done? One fact is they are a force to be reconed with but they can be beat. The 60 tn games they have won means nothing now. The next 3 is all that matters. There is 24 undefeated boys teams in the state as of now!

From what I have read Coachfooz… is one of others who have expressed the concern how tuition bills are being paid, which involves how work study is being used, including those who qualify and would receive financial aid at DII schools. His solution – play DII which would also eliminate conflict with the school’s mission statement.

For those just dialing in, all five starters did come to CPA in 8th grade with one of them immediately starting on the high school team. The four juniors came to CPA at the same time, highly unusual and extremely unique, having played for Maddux in AAU. According to TSSAA, a transfer is considered any student who leaves a school before completing the highest grade offered at that level. Since 8th grade is the highest level to complete at middle school, wouldn’t all be considered transfers?

If ever there was a "hand picked" team, this is it. That is the reason that so many people are upset by the un-even playing field. The four juniors have been playing for Coach Maddux since they were 10 years old. One was at BGA, one at Grassland in Williamson County (hire the dad as an assistant coach) one in Murfreesboro and one in Nashville schools (?). Throw in another player from Greenbrier (who avoids sitting out a year because of a bona-fide move to an apartment in Franklin), one from Knoxville (hire his dad to make sure it is a family move) and one from MBA who came to CPA as an 8th grader and was allowed to play in the 8th grade, despite a TSSAA rule that a person who transfers to another school and repeats 8th grade cannot play High school athletics in that year (played in 10 games until the uproar caused the TSSAA to admit their original letter allowing him to play was in fact incorrect).

CPA has 9 juniors, 1 sophomore and 1 freshman- after the "hand picked" team graduates in May 2014 what happens then? I don't think that high school is where Coach Maddux plans to spend his entire career.

If ever there was a "hand picked" team, this is it. That is the reason that so many people are upset by the un-even playing field. The four juniors have been playing for Coach Maddux since they were 10 years old. One was at BGA, one at Grassland in Williamson County (hire the dad as an assistant coach) one in Murfreesboro and one in Nashville schools (?). Throw in another player from Greenbrier (who avoids sitting out a year because of a bona-fide move to an apartment in Franklin), one from Knoxville (hire his dad to make sure it is a family move) and one from MBA who came to CPA as an 8th grader and was allowed to play in the 8th grade, despite a TSSAA rule that a person who transfers to another school and repeats 8th grade cannot play High school athletics in that year (played in 10 games until the uproar caused the TSSAA to admit their original letter allowing him to play was in fact incorrect).

CPA has 9 juniors, 1 sophomore and 1 freshman- after the "hand picked" team graduates in May 2014 what happens then? I don't think that high school is where Coach Maddux plans to spend his entire career.

Well this sounds like a team that should be in Div II school mission statement or not! As a rutherford county coach, I do not understand how the T$$AA would allow such a total "working around the rules" to apply. Why is he allowed to coach all of them in AAU and then they all of a sudden wind up at CPA? If this was in a court of law the jury would laugh and charge them in about fifteen minutes of discussing. And why does the school allow this "if coach Maddux does not plan to spend his entire career" there? I thought he never spoke about wins and losses and it was about the kids and the mission of helping these young people find the lord??? Bull@@@@! Everytime he shows up on Fox 17 sports, I immediately turn off the channel.

This topic would stop if CPA would just admit that working to pay off a debt is financial aide and should only be allowed in Div II. Why do they not want to play in Div II? All we here is how it is the best league in our state, so why not join them? Once again it is about all those W's over an unbalanced playing field and that is the bottome line.