South Pittsburg Football 2013

GCPioneer

Dad burnit, recon OP is going have to invest in some ear Plugs or sleep aids. Old Pirate gave the skillet slinger hers bout 4 hours ago but left OP wide eyed & praying for daybreak ....Leastways jest wondering how a new coach going to replace which teaching position?

Just do like the privates. Hire a full time coach and don't make him teach. I'm sure you could work it out with your principal and AD. ;)

According to the T$$AA By-Laws a head football coach does not have to be a licensed educator if he meets the following criteria,

A classified employee or non-faculty coach may serve as a head coach in football, basketball, baseball, girls'

softball, and track if that person has five or more years of experience as a coach at a TSSAA or TMSAA

member school and has completed the ASEP Coaches Education Course in a TSSAA-approved course and

completed the TSSAA Online Coaches Training Session.

For what it's worth Chuck Sartain is head softball coach for the middle school. He doesn't teach, doesn't work for the school system, and as far as I know has never been to college.

Here's the article I wrote for our local paper. It's a weekly paper and won't hit the stands until Dec. 12......

The end of an era

Vic Grider resigns as SPHS football coach

Vic Grider stunned the Pirate nation with Wednesday’s announcement that he is stepping down as head football coach at South Pittsburg High School. The unexpected and unwelcome word came at the end of the December 5th SPHS football banquet.

Grider paraphrased two-time Super Bowl winning coach Bill Parcells to aid in delivering the news of his resignation. “We’re all just riding a bus. Players, coaches, cheerleaders, band members, even parents. And some day it’s gonna end. Someday, whether you graduate, or your kids move on, or whatever, it’s gonna end and they’re gonna make us get off the bus. But when you get off the bus you’re not going to feel bad about it because the experience of being on the bus was so great that you’re not bitter about it at all.â€

With that said, Grider paused then dropped the bomb. “It’s time for me to get off the bus.â€

He noted that he doesn’t do things on a whim. “Those of you who know me know I’m a planner and an organizer. I’ve known that this was going to end tonight for almost two years. That’s how long I’ve been thinking about it. This isn’t something brought on because we got beat at Gordonsville. It’s not because I’m now having to be the principal. I just feel like it’s time. Unless you’ve walked in these shoes you really don’t know what it’s like. I’m tired of the 11½ month grind that is involved with this job. I’m not looking for a pity party; I’m just telling you why this is happening. It’s just the right thing for me to do now, and I think it’s the right thing for the program.â€

Coach Grider, 46, has been part of a 44-year coaching dynasty started by his father, Don, who took over the job from legendary coach Phil Beene in 1969, the first year of the TSSAA state playoff system, with Don leading the Pirates to the first Tennessee 1A state championship that year. Danny Wilson, current Lady Pirates basketball coach, became head football coach in 1993 taking South Pittsburg to its second state championship in 1994 with Vic, fresh from college as a Manager for the Tennessee Vols football team, as his defensive coordinator. Vic took over as head coach in 1997 leading his team to two state runner-ups, and state titles in 1999, 2007, and 2010. His record of 161-45 stands as one of the best in the state. During his tenure Grider has had four undefeated regular seasons, two undefeated 15-0 state championship seasons, and has produced 60 all-state players and 22 college signees.

While thanking a laundry-list of people who have supported him through the years, Grider recounted something a friend once told him. “To be successful as a head coach you have to have three things – great players, a loyal dog, and a patient wife.†Grider noted that he has been blessed with a world of talented players, and that his dog, Chocolate, never fails to greet him when he gets home. “But when it comes to coaches’ wives I hit the jackpot because she (Tracy) understood what I was trying to do.†Often mentioning his parents, his wife, and his daughter, Grider gave special thanks to his brother, Heath. “The one guy that’s been there from the beginning. He’s been the one constant. Without question the best coach in the family. I think our old man would be proud of what we’ve done.â€

News spread quickly of Grider’s resignation which, as of this writing, has seen nearly fifty applicants for the job. Assuring the crowd that exhaustive efforts will be made to find the right person Grider reminded them that, “We’ve got to remember that this program is bigger than any coach. This program will go on. It’s not about who the coach is, it’s about the ‘P’ on the helmet.â€

In closing, Grider used a passage he had written in his high school graduation Memory Book to challenge the ones most important to him as a coach – his players. He challenged them to live their dreams as he has been able to do, noting “I got to do exactly what I wanted to do in the only place I ever wanted to do it.†The excerpt reads, ‘As I look back on high school I think of it as some of the best times of my life. I’ll never forget the days at SPHS. If my dreams come true I’ll return to SPHS and take over my dad’s job and hopefully win a state championship.’

Vic Grider did indeed return to SPHS, and he won more than a championship – he won the love and respect of hundreds of players and thousands of fans.

South Pittsburg will get a new coach and, hopefully, he’ll do well. But’s he got a long row to hoe before he matches the legacy of Vic Grider.

• Upvote 2

I will throw out the names I am hearing once we get a few responses. But I will say, they are some pretty BIG names in High School Football.

Alright piratetom let's hear what you've been hearing...

Also would like to know why you think Coach Grider said the next Coach would come from outside the program...

I have a couple theories/thoughts as to why but would like to hear yours or anyone else...