South Pittsburg Football 2013

GCPioneer

My son said there was tremendous energy in the meeting with Ross yesterday. There were about 50 boys in there, as many as 15-20 eighth graders, which shows that we may have to buy a few extra uniforms next year. He said Ross plans on making everyone work out year-round, even if they play other sports. My son also plays baseball and it looks like he'll have to report to the weight-training room at 6 or 6:30 in the morning. Before, only the football players not playing other sports had to work out. So Ross definitely plans on building a better machine.

Horton and Sporty are right. The coach carries a lot of weight, and, in the end, it's his responsibility to correct the situation, but the coach isn't the one on the field. These boys are not strings puppets with the coaches pulling the strings. At some point the coach has to cut the cord and send the boy onto the field. If that boy isn't doing the job, it's time to send someone else in who at least tries to hit. I'm just a fat old man, but I've shown my teenage boy a few times that once I get my arms around him he's not getting away, and I try to convince him it's that way on the field. But, like a coach, all I can do is let him go and hope he does it.

My son said there was tremendous energy in the meeting with Ross yesterday. There were about 50 boys in there, as many as 15-20 eighth graders, which shows that we may have to buy a few extra uniforms next year. He said Ross plans on making everyone work out year-round, even if they play other sports. My son also plays baseball and it looks like he'll have to report to the weight-training room at 6 or 6:30 in the morning. Before, only the football players not playing other sports had to work out. So Ross definitely plans on building a better machine.

He said yesterday he was gonna implement a couple of things they had been doing at the Calhoun program...guess that's one of em...good luck to your son..I know you are proud of him!!

Unless this coach is bringing players with him you do know who the starters are and no I haven't been afan of Wilson or Stobe. That is my opinion but I have one just like you do Old pirate and Mr Horten. You are also right about we were in position to make plays at times last year but a few more tackling drills instead of studying percentages and schemes could have helped. If Stone wants to stay fine if he wants to take his ball and go home. That's fine too. There's more going on here and you know it.

LOPAO.......most folkes know from year to year who most of the starters will be. The point of OP's response to your post was you saying the offense was good when they haven't done nothing.............................Some you fellers are laughable.........Old Pirate will tells you a story because it is clear you ain't near as smart as you think you are. It was way back in the early sixties the Pirates had come off a successful season and returning starters everywhere. The season was a flop & the team finished below 500. Point here is coach Phil had majority of the returning starters back and the Pirates couldn't win. Same coaches, same players,same offense, same defense, same schedule but not........the same execution by the players and team! Players make plays not coaches. The Pirates were not.............near as good in 2012 offensively or defensively due to the lack of real play makers.

LOPAO.......most folkes know from year to year who most of the starters will be. The point of OP's response to your post was you saying the offense was good when they haven't done nothing.............................Some you fellers are laughable.........Old Pirate will tells you a story because it is clear you ain't near as smart as you think you are. It was way back in the early sixties the Pirates had come off a successful season and returning starters everywhere. The season was a flop & the team finished below 500. Point here is coach Phil had majority of the returning starters back and the Pirates couldn't win. Same coaches, same players,same offense, same defense, same schedule but not........the same execution by the players and team! Players make plays not coaches. The Pirates were not.............near as good in 2012 offensively or defensively due to the lack of real play makers.

LACK OF REAL PLAYMAKERS????

LACK OF REAL PLAYMAKERS????

Old Pirate didn't say the Pirates were without play makers but the number was not as years past and lost 2 players early that would have helped. Given the injury bug hadn't hit the Pirates the last 2 years OP feels the trophy case would have had a couple more gold balls. Offensively the Pirates had several but defensively were below standards. Feller you should know about that. Jasper had several offensive play makers but lacked play makers on D. Playmakers are not always RBs but tacklers and players that consistantly are in the right place to make plays. S. Mitchell and P. Mosely were huge losses for the Pirates on D-yes they were play makers. Look back to the Pirates defeat to TC on the Creekbank, the Pirates had play makers on both sides of the ball but that night the play makers failed the team with dropped passes penalties. Edited by OLD PIRATE

I honestly can't believe you said lack of playmakers. I honestly think it was more a case of being spoiled. Players, coaches, and fans are spoiled. I can go back too and tell you a story but it is a waste of time. I am looking forward to this change. Maybe we will focus more on basics on defense because like I said before the offense will handle itself. We have the majority of our linemen back another year in the weight room and hopefully hungrier. So let's get ready and quit defending Wesley so much.