South Pittsburg Football 2013

GCPioneer

Here is Donovan's story:

Vic Grider Resigns at South Pittsburg after 16 seasons

December 5th, 2012 by Donovan Stewart

After 16 years as Head coach at his alma mater, Vic Grider has resigned as head football coach at South Pittsburg.

Grider stunned a football banquet crowd with his announcement on Wednesday night.

“I’m a planner and I knew two years ago that this would be my last year,†Grider told the Chattanooga Times Free Press. "I always said that if I felt like I needed to do something else I wouldn’t be stubborn."

“Basically I just knew it’s time. I know I’ll miss it because it’s not easy to just give up something you’ve been around your whole life, but I’m also tired of the non-stop grind that comes with this job," Grider told the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

Grider started at South Pittsburg under legendary Pirate coach Don Grider (Vic's dad) who won 192 games and won the Class A state title in 1969 which was the first year the TSSAA had a playoff system.

Grider was the defensive coordinator under Danny Wilson when Don Grider retired in 1992, and Vic won his first state title as an assistant in 1994.

He took over for Wilson in 1996 and the Pirates won their first state title under Vic in 1999.

Grider finished with a 168-47 record and won two more state titles in 2007 and 2010.

He took what his father done and made the Pirates the gold standard program in Class 1A.

Under Grider, the Pirates have won 10 or more games, 11 of his 16 seasons as head coach.

The Pirates had two undefeated seasons in 2007 and 2010 and they won 10 district titles.

The Pirates finished 8-4 this year which included a 14-13 loss to Gordonsville in the Quarterfinals.

Gordonsville defeated Huntingdon 21-20 last Friday in Cookeville to win the 1A state title.

Grider is the current principal in an interim role after being named the assistant principal seven years ago.

He has also served as the school's Athletic Director since 1997.

McFerran Promoted to Bartlett HC

Jeff McFerran has been promoted at Bartlett high school.

McFerran who served as the Panthers offensive coordinator in 2011 has been hired as Bartlett's head coach replacing Brian Brewer.

"I'm honored to take over at Bartlett," McFerran said.

This will be McFerran's third head coaching job as he served as the head man at Covington from 1996 until 2001 and posted a 51-14 record.

McFerran led the Chargers to the Class 3A title game in 2000, where they finished runner-up to Portland.

He then had a 17-14 record in three seasons at Tipton Rosemark before leaving coaching for a year.

He then came back and coached the defensive line at Christian Brothers for six years before coming to Bartlett last season.

Ethan Edmiston hired at Union County

Ethan Edmiston sees opportunity with his first head coaching job.

Edmiston, 28 has been named the new head coach at Union County replacing Danny Satterfield.

"I am really excited about the opportunity to coach at Union County," Edmiston said. "The administration at Union County made the decision to come to Union County an easy one. They have been very supportive and are the kind of people you want to be around and work with."

Edmiston served as the offensive coordinator at West Creek last season and now he will be able to get back to East Tennessee which is home as he graduated from Maryville high school in 2003.

"Ethan Edmiston has a great pedigree and we are excited about him starting here at Union County," Union County Athletic Director Shane Brown said.

Edmiston wants to get started quickly at Union County and will run the spread offense and a 4-3 look on defense.

"I am leaving West Creek at Christmas and starting the offseason program at Union County right away'" Edmiston said. "I can't wait to get started."

McCoin and Hayes commit to Tennessee Tech

Livingston Academy teammates Brock McCoin and Creed Hayes both have committed to local college Tennessee Tech.

"They have both verbally committed to Tennessee Tech to play for Coach Brown," Livingston Academy coach Bruce Lamb said. "This a reward for the hard work, dedication and commitment they have shown over the last four years."

McCoin had 2,356 total yards and 31 touchdowns on the year with 1,536 passing and 17 touchdowns while rushing for 820 yards and scored 14 touchdowns.

Hayes was the leading rusher for the Wildcats as he gained 1,878 yards and scored 24 touchdowns.

McCoin and Hayes are a big reason that Livingston Academy won district 8-AA this season and has a 20-5 record the previous two seasons and are coming off a 11-2 record and a Quarterfinal appearance in the Class 4A playoffs.

"We are all excited that they have decided to play so close to home," Lamb said. "This allows everyone in the Upper Cumberland to come watch them showcase their talents on a much larger level."

Demetric Johnson commits to Murray State

Demetric Johnson, a Class A Mr. Football Back Finalist in 2012 has committed to play football at Murray State.

Johnson chose the Racers over the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Middle Tennessee State, Tennessee Tech and Samford.

He (6-1, 180) rushed for 1,974 yards and scored 32 touchdowns on the season as the Pirates went 8-4 and made the Class 1A Quarterfinal round.

Over the last two seasons, Johnson has rushed for 3,205 yards and has scored 51 touchdowns.

Johnson joins Livingston Academy quarterback Brock McCoin (Tennessee Tech), Livingston Academy running back Creed Hayes (Tennessee Tech), Memphis Fairley defensive tackle DeMaris Peppers (Minnesota), Dobyns Bennett wide receiver Malik Foreman (Vanderbilt), Christian Brothers offensive lineman Alexander Karr (Arkansas State), Rhea County offensive lineman Jacob Revis (UTC), Knoxville West linebacker Zach Stuart (Lamar), Grace Christian Academy running back Will McKamey (Navy), Harding Academy defensive end Mack Weaver (Vanderbilt), Memphis East linebacker Marcus Robinson (Arkansas), Clarksville Northeast Athlete Jalen Reeves-Maybin (Tennessee), ECS linebacker Walker Jones (Alabama), St. Benedict running back Jordan Wilkins (Auburn), Brentwood Academy defensive back Jalen Ramsey (USC), Memphis East Offensive Lineman Christian Morris (UCLA), MAHS wide receiver Marquez Lanton (Arkansas State), Brentwood Academy quarterback Max Staver (Florida), Whitehaven defensive back Darius Sims (Vanderbilt), Alcoa offensive lineman Dalton Owensby (MTSU), Shelbyville running back Marquis Morton (MTSU), Signal Mountain quarterback Reese Phillips (Kentucky), CAK wide receiver Josh Smith (Tennessee), CAK offensive lineman Brett Kendrick (Tennessee), Memphis Central defensive end Frank Herron (LSU), Lake County safety Devon Jones (Arkansas State), Memphis East defensive lineman Herbert Moore (Ole Miss), Whitehaven wide receiver Gerald Perry (Vanderbilt), Whitehaven running back Mark Dodson (Ole Miss), MUS linebacker Ford Howell (Wake Forest), Memphis Central wide receiver Latevius Rayford (Vanderbilt), Lenoir City wide receiver Camion Patrick (Tennessee), White Station defensive end Jason Carr (Tennessee) and Bradley Central offensive lineman Austin Sanders (Tennessee) as commitments on the year.

Contact Donovan at donovan.stewart@bellsouth.net and follow him on Twitter at Examine_Stew.

Edited by 91LANDERS

JoeWillie12 says congratulations to Coach Vic for his efforts at South Pittsburg; good luck in future career whatever / wherever that may take you. JW12 personally hopes the Grider legacy at South Pittsburg continues. Why allow it to stop here when a perfectly capable replacement stands available. Either him or Stoney seems to be logical picks unless both turn the opportunity down. No matter who new coach may be don't see the Pirates stumbling anytime soon.

A big thank you to Coach Grider for many wonderful years of service to our community. Not many coaches can leave the game in there prime with the record you have. We at SP were very blessed to have such a wonderful and caring coach and the staff he assembled. Goodluck with whatever your future holds and God Bless You and your family. Three names that I hope come up in a new seach for the new coach. Not in this order but the 1st is Tim Moore. A great lineman at SP in the mid to late 70's that went on to Vanderbilt to play football and after graduating went to BGA for a few years to coach. Randy Kirkpatrick from Marion Co. He played at SP in the early 80's and was a great QB and athlete. He's also one of my best friends and he's just a great all around family guy. Chris Jones. I doubt we could ever get him away from the CFL and pay him the right money unless he just wanted to come back home. His record speaks for itself. He was a star RB and LB at SP in the early 80's and played with Randy Kirkpatrick also at the same time at SP. Chris has coached in several collge programs and his list of accomplishments in the CFL as a defensive cordinator are unreal. His team the Toronto Argonauts just won the Gray Cup in Canda about three weeks ago. Maybe Chris would be a better coach at Tennessee than SP!!Anyways those three crossed my mind and I'm sure SP will have no problem,unlike TN, at getting a great coach.

This is not the most stunning news because I have been hearing rumors this might happen, but what a challenge the next coach will have to follow such a good coach. Whoever the next coach has so much talent coming back, if they fall short of Cookeville they will have been deemed a failure and that is a tough first year expectation wise!!

sp will have pretty much their choice of anyone in the area, good players but will be hard to follow a legend, i would say the only negative, if there is such a thing is that i know for the last few years it has been difficult to schedule teams to play because of how good they are, most smaller schools will not play because of getting run ruled, the bigger schools dont want to get beat by someone in a smaller classification, that leaves only the bigger successfual schools that are not scared of anyone and i guess out of state teams...you must think that sp already has someone lined up and unlike the UT job will not draw the process out forever

I was shocked to hear the news last night, but it is understandable. Coaching takes away from your personal and family life and 16 years is a long time. I have heard the new coach will not come from within the current staff so whoever becomes the new coach will get to start with a talented team their first year. The Pirates should be the favorite for the 1A title next year with the only missing piece being the new head coach.

Well It Was Looking Like A Good Christmas With Dooley Getting The Axe....And Now This?...Dang Grider...Couldn't You Wait Til January?...You Better land Somewhere Outstanding And Not Just Sit Back And Grow Old And Fatter...You Better Wind Up Somewhere Where You Matter....How About A Lil Gruden/Grider Tennessee Action?....Or Heck How About A Grider Himself Action?...Bet He'd Do Better Than Ole Dooley...Anywho...You Deserve The Highest Praise Of What You Have Accomplished...Happy Trails You Hoser...And Thanks For Ruining Christmas!...