7AAA predictions and expectations

BKisler

Well, went to see LaVergne tonight. And came away impressed with some of the things they were doing on offense. Ran a pistol, fast tempo, getting their speedy kids in space. But Defensively, they will have a tough time stoping folks in 7AAA if they don't improve on that side of the ball.

On "O" they were very athletic. No surprise right? Very impressed with CJ Fore at Qb. Nice touch on the ball and can make some people miss when he decides to tuck it and run. they had 2 very solid RB one of them was a freshmen who I was most impressed with. Very tough runner, fought for every yard with some breakaway speed to go with his grit. WR is without question their strength. Very athletic with impressive ball skills with the ball in the air JJ Horton? (not sure i got his name right) was very impressive. I think there "O" will be their strength. BUT......they were also their own worst enemy. Lots of mistakes like lining up wrong, snaps over the QB's head and taunting penalties after putting it into the end zone. That stuff must get cleaned up or I can see the same old LaVergne again this year.

But I will say this, it was a four team scrimmage with PJP2, Signal Mt. Coffee county and Lavergne and they moved the ball at will and almost scored at will on all of them when the weren't shooting themselves in the foot. Signal Mt. Was the best looking team there and Lavergne scores on their first 3 plays on the "from the 20" segment. Very impressive

Defense. Not as impressive. Very average. Look solid against CC and PJP2 but Signal Mt and their wing t gave Lavergne fits. If Lavergne's "D" does not improve then they will have a hard time keeping teams out of the end zone and I'm not sure their "O" can score enough.

Over all, good athletes and looks to be running a offense that fits their talent but they need to play smarter with less mistakes. Defense just need to do a better job tackling and Lavergne may have a pretty nice season.

Any news on the Riverdale-LC scrimmage? I'm assuming the lack of news means Riverdale did OK, but you never know.

Seems like Kreager is definitely on the Oakland bandwagon...he's giving us an Oakland story in the paper every day now.

Was told Riverdale won, 6-2. Hearing that Odom played as well and got a few touchdowns.

As for Oakland, thats what happens when your the assumed Favorite in the district. Siegel got similar treatment last year, Riverdale in 2012, and Smyrna in 2011. Just the way it goes I suppose

SCHS [1's] over Page [1's] 24-21 and SCHS [2's] over Page [2's] 14-9

Good to hear that Stewarts Creek did well against a solid Page team. Hope they can keep improving.

Well, went to see LaVergne tonight. And came away impressed with some of the things they were doing on offense. Ran a pistol, fast tempo, getting their speedy kids in space. But Defensively, they will have a tough time stoping folks in 7AAA if they don't improve on that side of the ball.

On "O" they were very athletic. No surprise right? Very impressed with CJ Fore at Qb. Nice touch on the ball and can make some people miss when he decides to tuck it and run. they had 2 very solid RB one of them was a freshmen who I was most impressed with. Very tough runner, fought for every yard with some breakaway speed to go with his grit. WR is without question their strength. Very athletic with impressive ball skills with the ball in the air JJ Horton? (not sure i got his name right) was very impressive. I think there "O" will be their strength. BUT......they were also their own worst enemy. Lots of mistakes like lining up wrong, snaps over the QB's head and taunting penalties after putting it into the end zone. That stuff must get cleaned up or I can see the same old LaVergne again this year.

But I will say this, it was a four team scrimmage with PJP2, Signal Mt. Coffee county and Lavergne and they moved the ball at will and almost scored at will on all of them when the weren't shooting themselves in the foot. Signal Mt. Was the best looking team there and Lavergne scores on their first 3 plays on the "from the 20" segment. Very impressive

Defense. Not as impressive. Very average. Look solid against CC and PJP2 but Signal Mt and their wing t gave Lavergne fits. If Lavergne's "D" does not improve then they will have a hard time keeping teams out of the end zone and I'm not sure their "O" can score enough.

Over all, good athletes and looks to be running a offense that fits their talent but they need to play smarter with less mistakes. Defense just need to do a better job tackling and Lavergne may have a pretty nice season.

When you bring in a new offense, there is always going to be a transition period. I would like to see how LaVergne will do against 6A competition. The bad snaps and things of that nature is something that will be corrected over time. That consistent taunting is a discipline problem. Stevens has always seemed to be a hands-off kind of coach, but this is an issue that requires him to have a heavy hand in.

Any more scrimmages for LaVergne?

I will say that Coach Stevens jumped right on the kids when they were taunting. He pulled them right out, on the spot and had a coach with them doing up downs. He also seem to be very hands on with the defense, which seemed weird to me because I always thought of him as an offensive guy. I read in the paper that he turned the offense over to a former QB from Maryville but when I read it, I couldn't see him giving up the play calling but it looked to be the case, at least in scrimmage 1.

And yea you're right some of that stuff you can chalk up to putting in a new offense and should get cleaned up but it has to be in a hurry! They have been doing some of that stuff for a long time though.

Don't know of any other scrimmage time and dates for them but if I hear something I'll post it.

He is not on the bandwagon, he is driving it. Everyone else is playing for 2nd place.

I think the attention is well deserved. Oakland is loaded with D1 talent and should be the team people are talking about? When you have high expectation you get the most attention. Sometime it is good, sometimes it is bad, just depends on how your team handles it.

I will say that Coach Stevens jumped right on the kids when they were taunting. He pulled them right out, on the spot and had a coach with them doing up downs. He also seem to be very hands on with the defense, which seemed weird to me because I always thought of him as an offensive guy. I read in the paper that he turned the offense over to a former QB from Maryville but when I read it, I couldn't see him giving up the play calling but it looked to be the case, at least in scrimmage 1.

And yea you're right some of that stuff you can chalk up to putting in a new offense and should get cleaned up but it has to be in a hurry! They have been doing some of that stuff for a long time though.

Don't know of any other scrimmage time and dates for them but if I hear something I'll post it.

I think the attention is well deserved. Oakland is loaded with D1 talent and should be the team people are talking about? When you have high expectation you get the most attention. Sometime it is good, sometimes it is bad, just depends on how your team handles it.

Good to see Stevens put a quick stop to it. Football is a great game , not only because it brings a community together, but because of the life lessons it teaches.

SCHS [1's] over Page [1's] 24-21 and SCHS [2's] over Page [2's] 14-9

nice! I wish SC well. I hope they schedule smart out of district for the next few years, so the can feel some success. Not sure they will have much in district for a few years but you never know. BTW if you haven't seen the SCHS campus. It is very nice.

Was told Riverdale won, 6-2. Hearing that Odom played as well and got a few touchdowns.

As for Oakland, thats what happens when your the assumed Favorite in the district. Siegel got similar treatment last year, Riverdale in 2012, and Smyrna in 2011. Just the way it goes I suppose

I heard Kluger covered the Oakland scrimmage from the slip-n-slide! :popcorneater:

pepvol... nothing but mad stacks of respect for the team wearing the M on the hat. From what I saw at the scrimmage today the fast break lives on...

IIRC you were around in when Danny Spradlin was playing.. we lost to M on a fake field goal at Loudon in 76 semis, I have some really good stuff the next time you're in town.

StarRaider knott pep, butt eye've hurd ov Danny Ray Spradlin.....Eye beeleeve thait gaim wuz played att MackMinn Cowntee tho....

SR yore middull naim haz gott two bee "Blue" rite??... :mrgreen: