#1 seed vs #4 seed upsets

VolunteerGeneral

A possible first round upset could be Jackson Southside (2-7) over Marshall County (9-1). Southside is not near as bad as their record would indicate. In fact the combined record of the 7 teams that they have lost to is 54-16. That`s a tough schedule. Some of those losses were against JCM (10-0 and a 5A region champ), Crockett County (10-0 and a 3A region champ), Haywood County(8-2 and a 4A region champ)McNairy County (8-2) and Milan (9-1 and a 2A region champ).

Just something to keep your eye on.

VG(Go JCM COUGARS!!!)

[Edited by VolunteerGeneral on 11-2-02 10:22A]

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

South Side beating Marshall is a possibility, they pulled the upset last year, but I think the loss to Lexington will carry over to next Friday. I havent had the pleasure of seeing Marshall County this year but based on what i have heard I see Marshall winning by 2 touchdowns. I know Coach Hayes and his team are dissapointed with the regular season so a win at Marshall could provide some serious motivation.

Good luck to both teams.

I do hearby go out on a rotting limb and predict the following guaranteed 4 seed upset of a 1 seed.

#4 seed Trenton (5-5) to defeat #1 seed Mitchell (8-2).

Okay Ill admit, given the past domination of Region 7 over Region 8 in the playoffs this isnt exactly a total shocker. Trenton is tough defensively and Mitchell is ....well....a typical 2A school from Memphis: Overly athletic and under coached. I still believe all 4 playoff teams from Region 7 survive the first round.

Just One Man's Opinion

Posted by DelTavian:
Posted by Antwan:

Portland over Howard

Nope. Not gonna happen. ;)

Del.

I don't know. Evidently it depends which Howard shows up. Portland will play very hard. If they get a couple of turnovers, they have a very good chance to pull the upset.

They are extremely well coached. I would not be surprised at all if they won. Their schedule should help them tremendously.

With all due respect, who has Howard beaten except for Grundy? They have 7 wins over teams with a combined record of 23-47 and that counts 8-2 Grundy. Take them out and it's 15-45. Portland's losses are to teams with a combined record of 43-7. Two of their 4 wins were against 7-3 teams.

[Edited by Antwan on 11-2-02 10:40A]