Monterey @Gordonsville

croz6110

In years past this wouldn't have been a game, but this will be closer than what most think. From seeing both teams play I will have to say that Monterey is better up front than Gville, but Gville has some better skill kids. The Looper kid for Monterey is good and hard nosed on both sides, and he punishes those that try to tackle him. If he gets rolling it could be a long night for Gville, but on the flip side if Cason gets rolling it couild be a long night for Monterery. Gville does have a good passing game, but I'm not totally sold on how great it is. Smotherman threw for 294 last week vs. RBS, but the majority of those were yards after the catch, so those yards fall on poor tackling. RBS also picked him off 3 times. That being said, if Monterey doesn't defend the pass well and tackle well Gville's passing game could certainly be the deciding factor in this one.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In years past this wouldn't have been a game, but this will be closer than what most think. From seeing both teams play I will have to say that Monterey is better up front than Gville, but Gville has some better skill kids. The Looper kid for Monterey is good and hard nosed on both sides, and he punishes those that try to tackle him. If he gets rolling it could be a long night for Gville, but on the flip side if Cason gets rolling it couild be a long night for Monterery. Gville does have a good passing game, but I'm not totally sold on how great it is. Smotherman threw for 294 last week vs. RBS, but the majority of those were yards after the catch, so those yards fall on poor tackling. RBS also picked him off 3 times. That being said, if Monterey doesn't defend the pass well and tackle well Gville's passing game could certainly be the deciding factor in this one.

Smotherman has only threw one INT all year and it was against SC which looked to be a miscommunication with the WR. He has lit up every team he has played in my opinion. But on the flip side Montery running it up the middle scares me. What Gville and Monterey games did you see?

I saw both play at UHS. Looper is a threat every time he gets he ball and he makes offenses think twice after he hits them a few times. However, not sure they have as much depth as Gordonsville. I've heard that was the tigers worst game, but based only on what I saw against UHS, Monterey has a solid chance of taking this one.

yes Gville played horrible in that game. But I think our best lineman was out that game. I think it makes a difference with him back. I also heard some sad news that Billy Newton is doubtful for the game Friday with a sprained ankle. He was turning into one of our best players. Great character And I don't think anyone has less depth than Gville. They are so thin. And it's homecoming. Which is never good Edited by TigerTown8412

Smotherman has only threw one INT all year and it was against SC which looked to be a miscommunication with the WR. He has lit up every team he has played in my opinion. But on the flip side Montery running it up the middle scares me. What Gville and Monterey games did you see?

I saw UHS v. Gville and UHS v. Monterey. The herald citizen had recorded 3 int against RBS, so they must have put it wrong. It said he had like 150 against SC, is that correct? I'm not saying he doesn't throw it well, the numbers say he does. It was just too few games to say it was great. Monterey did rush for right at 400 yards against Celina I heard though. So it could come down to Gville stopping the rush or Monterey stopping the pass. I still say there isn't a huge spread between the two teams Friday night.

The Wildcats have more experience, and they run the Single Wing.

I think this is Gville's homecoming, I don't think I would've picked this one for that.

Either way, I think this should be a better game than in years past.

Who was the last team to run the single wing and beat a g-ville team or make it to the state title game?

Who was the last team to run the single wing and beat a g-ville team or make it to the state title game?

Monterey and Huntingdon are the only ones I've ever seen run it.

However, this group of seniors for Gville ran the single wing in jr. high.

I don't care what anyone says. This will be an extremely tough game.

This is the best team Monterey has had in a long time.