Riverdale Coach and Tennessean Sports article

hardtackle

Don't they still have roughly 1800 students?

Over 2000 students. My apologies to Coach A and his staff! Still don't understand why if there are over 2000 students in Riverdale that we can't get more out for football? Why all of a sudden this article when folks have been complaining on here as well? Hmmm <_< GO WARRIORS!!

Edited by warhawks

Don't they still have roughly 1800 students?

McGavock has far beyond that and has had over 3000 students the past years.

I guess they had the wrong coach every year since they have been open since they have never done much at all in football? 

Nah, thats not it. Many of the privates and surrounding counties started getting a lot better in football after McGavock opened because many families sent their kids to private schools or left the county to surrounding counties to avoid the size of the school, or the mix or students, or busing, aging housing, or a whole number of reasons. Even with 3000 students, the true football talent was fairly thin. There have been some exceptional years in other sports, but not so much in football. All those kids, and I think there have only been a couple of players to play pro football. But they have huge numbers, so there must be talent, right? 

Quality not quantity, folks. 

I guess they had the wrong coach every year since they have been open since they have never done much at all in football? 

Nah, thats not it. Many of the privates and surrounding counties started getting a lot better in football after McGavock opened because many families sent their kids to private schools or left the county to surrounding counties to avoid the size of the school, or the mix or students, or busing, aging housing, or a whole number of reasons. Even with 3000 students, the true football talent was fairly thin. There have been some exceptional years in other sports, but not so much in football. All those kids, and I think there have only been a couple of players to play pro football. But they have huge numbers, so there must be talent, right? 

No, quality and quanity. Your starters arent going to be very good practicing against air

Coach Gore at MHS is a great coach, and is putting in more work on a daily basis than just about any other coach in the state.

There is a ridiculous amount of talent at MHS, but converting talent into a "program" is a long road. Coach Gore has issues with kids consistently attending practice, battling grades, and a thin coaching staff.

Bodies within the school does not equal success on the field. Rutherford County schools (such as Riverdale) are experiencing what Williamson County school say with the creation of Centennial, Ravenwood, Summit. Brentwood historians would point to a BHS team that used to dress out a sizeable army on Friday nights before Ravenwood was birthed. Indy has survived the previous few years with a thin roster and declining student population due to Summit's activation. Franklin fans would point to last years dismal performance as the final result of CHS' winning the re-zoning battle. Rutherford County is diluting the talent pool with too many programs, and everybody will feel the ebs and flow of the zoning changes over the next few years.

• Upvote 1

Coach Gore at MHS is a great coach, and is putting in more work on a daily basis than just about any other coach in the state.

There is a ridiculous amount of talent at MHS, but converting talent into a "program" is a long road. Coach Gore has issues with kids consistently attending practice, battling grades, and a thin coaching staff.

Bodies within the school does not equal success on the field. Rutherford County schools (such as Riverdale) are experiencing what Williamson County school say with the creation of Centennial, Ravenwood, Summit. Brentwood historians would point to a BHS team that used to dress out a sizeable army on Friday nights before Ravenwood was birthed. Indy has survived the previous few years with a thin roster and declining student population due to Summit's activation. Franklin fans would point to last years dismal performance as the final result of CHS' winning the re-zoning battle. Rutherford County is diluting the talent pool with too many programs, and everybody will feel the ebs and flow of the zoning changes over the next few years.

They said it when Blackman opened, they said it when Siegel opened. Guess what, still as strong of a district as just about anybody. 

The first thing I noticed when I saw the picture was the perceived look of a deer in the headlights of the coach.

Second thing I noticed was the use of EXCUSES by the Coach to deflect blame away on himself and put it on the 'talent', or lack there of. Second part of the second part is the total lack of ideas expressed by the coach to fix this.

Third thing I noticed was the tone of the entire article, which is the season is done and over so don't expect any better from the program.

Now while a few call me negative, I know if I was a young player, I would NOT want to play for this man. Oh yea I forgot.......this was an earlier excuse for the declining numbers for R'dale vs the same sized schools in the same town.

No young man is birthed with football greatness. It is learned from Men who can teach it.

While Coach A may be a really good wing-t coach, he does NOT have the skill to pick a staff that can teach it. That's solely on HIM!