Riverdale Coach and Tennessean Sports article

hardtackle

This Coach of yours talked to the press and the damage was already done by him anyways before anyone posted anything negative already. This program has been lost for several years now yet you defend it. Numbers declining has something to do with this coaching as well you are just to blind and ignorant to notice. Keep drinking the coolaid hardtackle keep drinking. I can tell you very few players from Riverdale are looking at this message board on coacht. They will hear more crap in the halls at school because of the state of this program but your to blinded to even realize that. Keep drinking hardtackle because soon you will drown yourself!! 

This Coach of yours talked to the press and the damage was already done by him anyways before anyone posted anything negative already. This program has been lost for several years now yet you defend it. Numbers declining has something to do with this coaching as well you are just to blind and ignorant to notice. Keep drinking the coolaid hardtackle keep drinking. I can tell you very few players from Riverdale are looking at this message board on coacht. They will hear more crap in the halls at school because of the state of this program but your to blinded to even realize that. Keep drinking hardtackle because soon you will drown yourself!! 

I will not resort to name calling,I am just stating my opinion as you are. You have convinced yourself that he is alone is responsible for the football team. You can ask many knowledgeable people in the county and they realize the reason for the decline in the program and it is not totally the coach. No where in this post have I said anything other than he is not totally the blame. Maybe Riverdale needs a change,I am not there everyday. I will say I have never known a team where every player likes the coach or every fan likes him. This is true even in churches and families. My first post and my last will only defend the attack on one man being responsible.

I will not resort to name calling,I am just stating my opinion as you are. You have convinced yourself that he is alone is responsible for the football team. You can ask many knowledgeable people in the county and they realize the reason for the decline in the program and it is not totally the coach. No where in this post have I said anything other than he is not totally the blame. Maybe Riverdale needs a change,I am not there everyday. I will say I have never known a team where every player likes the coach or every fan likes him. This is true even in churches and families. My first post and my last will only defend the attack on one man being responsible.

No name calling just facts! No hard feelings with you or anyone else for that matter life is too short. Not placing all the blame on the coach either. He has got to take some of it though. That is just how it works unfortunate as it is! The head coach gets all the credit if they are winning and or losing. I understand that talent is down and some of these kids are going other places but why no one has answered that have they! I am sorry for the name calling if thats what you thought! I have no beef with you Sir! Have a good day and if you think about it its like beating a dead horse! Again i do not think the coach is fully at fault for the decline of this program but some of the blame is his to shoulder it comes with the job! GO WARRIORS KEEP WORKING!!

You have convinced yourself that he is alone is responsible for the football team

Who else is responsible? 

I think I get what you guys are trying to say about part of the problem being zoning or because you like Coach A or whatever but the buck stops with the head coach.  There is no one else to blame things on.

Sure programs have ups and downs, but it is obvious that Riverdale will never reach the status of old unless something major changes with the leadership of the football program.

That's the bottom line.

Fine provided he takes Wells with him, and.......................

When we played Riverdale week before last as the Riverdale team was walking from the school to the stadium guess who came by me riding in a car with what looked to be the DC....... at's right no other that coach and the udda coach. Riding to the stadium as the players walk. I thought ain't that some sheet! :popcorneater:

Who else is responsible? 

I think I get what you guys are trying to say about part of the problem being zoning or because you like Coach A or whatever but the buck stops with the head coach.  There is no one else to blame things on.

Sure programs have ups and downs, but it is obvious that Riverdale will never reach the status of old unless something major changes with the leadership of the football program.

That's the bottom line.

I know he gets the blame whether he is the reason or not. That is how we work as a society. We always have to blame one person, whether it be a church,school or family. Sad that high school football coach can get more attention than city,state ,or country problems. But one person gets the blame for them also. 

I won't bash the coach, as I don't know the situation at Riverdale.  I respect your SID, David Limbaugh, and he has made one post on the subject and he is probably closer to the situation than anyone else on here.  I will say this, as the Head Coach, I would not have made the comments that he made in the short newspaper article.  Now maybe it was not in the context that we saw it, because we did not see the question that was asked him (and we all know how media can be), but at this juncture, if I were the coach I would have had nothing but praise for my team, as far as the public goes.  Maybe something like, "we are young at some positions, but I am so proud of the effort they have given, and they will continue to work hard and get better, I have to do a better job of coaching them".  All things are cyclice and it has just been my experience that when a good coach has a really good team, then he may say something a little negative in the press to try and keep the team grounded, and from believing their press clippings.  But most good coaches, when they are in a down cycle and don't have as talented as team as they are accustomed to, will take the pressure off of those kids by shouldering the responsibility, and they will say things in the press that those kids can use as a positive or a stepping stone.  A football team is a family, they probably see each other starting in August, more than they see their own family, and what the coach says to them in the locker room is going to have a lot more influence with the players if they know that the coach is protecting them, and shouldering the responsibility in the publics eye.

Edited by jake

Sometimes a head coach just is not a good fit at a certain school. I thought that from the beginning in this situation. Football coaches are notoriously single minded in their approach. They fight ANY change with absolute ferocity. 99% will stick to their comfort zone. The wing T was a great system for Coach A at Hillsboro. It fit both the physical and mental aspects of his personnel. However, I just do not think it has ever been the right fit for the personnel at Riverdale. As far as numbers if a kid wants to play football he will play football regardless of the coaching. This "I don't like the coach" crap is an excuse. I didn't always like my high school coach either but I would NEVER have let him keep me from playing. Have to question the players true desire at that point.

Aydelott has never had large participation numbers. He always had lower numbers to work with at Hillsboro simply because so many "athletes" in Metro struggle with eligibility issues as well as many are just lazy and not willing to put in the work. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen kids go up to a head coach after school has started wanting to play football simply because they did not want to have to go through the preseason grind. This has always been THE major problem at McGavock also.You can only put up with so much absenteeism.

It used to mean something to kids to just be part of the program. These days kids are just not willing to pay their dues and earn their time. If they are not starting they would rather just quit than work harder. Product of our whole society and the I'm ok you are ok mentality. It has destroyed our public school system as we put out kids who are unprepared for failure when the real world hits them. They have been used to just hitting  the reset button when things are not going their way and they cannot handle failure. Now we are forced by an idiot that has never been in a classroom to award a kid a 50 even if he sleeps through the whole class or just plain does not do anything. Heaven forbid it just MIGHT be the kids fault and he needs to fail.

Long story short, Coach A should either adapt to his personnel scheme-wise or or go somewhere with athletes that fit into the wing T mentality. Any coach can understand that. This is why college coaches recruit to their system. Since legally he does not have that option he needs to go where the kids are.  Sometimes it is just better to bring in your line and go to a new fishing hole.

And before anybody preaches to me about the youth of today, I am in my 22nd year of teaching/coaching and I have worked in both Metro and county schools. Come spend the day with me. Heck, come spend one hour and then be enlightened.

I won't bash the coach, as I don't know the situation at Riverdale.  I respect your SID, David Limbaugh, and he has made one post on the subject and he is probably closer to the situation than anyone else on here.  I will say this, as the Head Coach, I would not have made the comments that he made in the short newspaper article.  Now maybe it was not in the context that we saw it, because we did not see the question that was asked him (and we all know how media can be), but at this juncture, if I were the coach I would have had nothing but praise for my team, as far as the public goes.  Maybe something like, "we are young at some positions, but I am so proud of the effort they have given, and they will continue to work hard and get better, I have to do a better job of coaching them".  All things are cyclice and it has just been my experience that when a good coach has a really good team, then he may say something a little negative in the press to try and keep the team grounded, and from believing their press clippings.  But most good coaches, when they are in a down cycle and don't have as talented as team as they are accustomed to, will take the pressure off of those kids by shouldering the responsibility, and they will say things in the press that those kids can use as a positive or a stepping stone.  A football team is a family, they probably see each other starting in August, more than they see their own family, and what the coach says to them in the locker room is going to have a lot more influence with the players if they know that the coach is protecting them, and shouldering the responsibility in the publics eye.

Great post!