South Pitt vs. Fayetteville (Moore man against this Palmer man)

Roy Dillard

Our team is a reflection of our Head Coach. We play with class, win with class, and lose with class. Last night was tough. Tough for our fans , but even more tough for our boys. It's not easy to lose and not be affected. Tears? Yeah, plenty, from seniors whose careers are over to Freshmen just starting to play on a higher level. But the one thing I noticed as we handed them something to eat before their long bus ride back home. Pride. Through the tears there was pride in what we've (they) done, pride in the teamwork and accomplishment to get them where we were last night. We got a little taste of what playoff football was and we liked it. We want more, leaving your school already talking next year and what we as parents and fans can do to help. My two are graduating seniors this year, one plays football and one is in the band. I hope they took away from last night that there are no certainties. No guarantees. You earn and take only what you've worked hard for. Good luck next week as you continue on. I spoke with a gentleman at halftime by the scoreboard for a moment, one of your former coaches and now principal of your school. He, and your school, and your community as a whole were very gracious to us. I'm looking forward to rematches in the future so we can return the favor. I will say I thought our fans were louder! Good luck and Keep Playing! Beat Coalfield!

Good post Varo, I agree, keep the head held high, build from the ground up, don't start in 9th grade. I seen you talking to Coach Wilson.  I was down there looking for a long beard though!

I would like to hear what Varo thought.  I am not asking to rub anything in, just would like an honest assessment from the other side.  Congrats Fayetteville on a fine season and great things are to come for that program.

PirateMike--I was busy responding to D60 and your post came in! Thanks for your kind words. You know it's always hard to think about the future when we live in the now. There is always that expectation of future successes, but these freshmen and sophomores thrown into the battle saw it firsthand. Your young'uns stepped up to the challenge. Your new freshman running back will very capably fill the large shoes of Lankford. I saw a very strong large offensive line, creating gaps and holes in our lines that your running backs were able to see and hit. Your running game took it and sealed it. Even down 21-0 I was confident we could still make a game of it, but we stopped our drives with poor decisions that created turnovers. Your safeties played our defenders very soft and left themselves open to our passing game. Some passes we dropped, some you defended very well. But the receivers were there. Another more experienced team will see that. Too many personal foul penalties on your boys last night, and I thought some more that didn't get called, but that's my opinion. Like the roughing the punter non-call that the ref thought was a tip. The ball flight didn't change a bit. I don't know why y'all tried throwing so much when your running game was working. We pressured or sacked the QB 90% of those plays, and two when they were open the receivers dropped the ball. If you were trying to get us to play back defending the pass to open up the run, why? Already had it. Concession stand and your fans very friendly. Guy offered me my money back cause I had to wait for the popcorn! I looked for some of the posters on here, but its not like everyone wears a name tag that says Hello my name is Roy Dillard or Ambassador or OP! I walked from talking to your Principal around the scoreboard to the concession stand past your stands and didn't get yelled at, thrown crap at, or cussed at like some other schools. We got there very early, like three thirty, and didn't have one of your players tell us we showed up early for an #### whuppin' like at Gordonsville. EVERYONE was welcoming and friendly. Congratulations on your win, good luck next week, we ll see you next year. BWT, I don't fault your coach trying to score so very late in the fourth qtr. we' ll try to repay the favor. Lol.

I'm pretty sure that Spitt took a knee at the end. I had several Fayetteville people tell me that the Fayetteville Coach doesn't play freshman or Sophomores. Big mistake.. The reason our Db's were playing soft was because you Qb was throwing up Ducks. I saw it in Films of you guys. Fayetteville would have a few more Wins with a better Qb for sure

PirateMike--I was busy responding to D60 and your post came in! Thanks for your kind words. You know it's always hard to think about the future when we live in the now. There is always that expectation of future successes, but these freshmen and sophomores thrown into the battle saw it firsthand. Your young'uns stepped up to the challenge. Your new freshman running back will very capably fill the large shoes of Lankford. I saw a very strong large offensive line, creating gaps and holes in our lines that your running backs were able to see and hit. Your running game took it and sealed it. Even down 21-0 I was confident we could still make a game of it, but we stopped our drives with poor decisions that created turnovers. Your safeties played our defenders very soft and left themselves open to our passing game. Some passes we dropped, some you defended very well. But the receivers were there. Another more experienced team will see that. Too many personal foul penalties on your boys last night, and I thought some more that didn't get called, but that's my opinion. Like the roughing the punter non-call that the ref thought was a tip. The ball flight didn't change a bit. I don't know why y'all tried throwing so much when your running game was working. We pressured or sacked the QB 90% of those plays, and two when they were open the receivers dropped the ball. If you were trying to get us to play back defending the pass to open up the run, why? Already had it. Concession stand and your fans very friendly. Guy offered me my money back cause I had to wait for the popcorn! I looked for some of the posters on here, but its not like everyone wears a name tag that says Hello my name is Roy Dillard or Ambassador or OP! I walked from talking to your Principal around the scoreboard to the concession stand past your stands and didn't get yelled at, thrown crap at, or cussed at like some other schools. We got there very early, like three thirty, and didn't have one of your players tell us we showed up early for an #### whuppin' like at Gordonsville. EVERYONE was welcoming and friendly. Congratulations on your win, good luck next week, we ll see you next year. BWT, I don't fault your coach trying to score so very late in the fourth qtr. we' ll try to repay the favor. Lol.

Old Pirate wondered down towards that end of the track and visited the concession stand looking for some FC fellers to talk to. Dad burnit, recon it is pert near impossible to know when folkes wearing the same colors. Least ways, hope the Fayetteville folkes were treated with hospitality. OP was standing near the south end zone late in the fourth when the time out was called. OP did a bit of wondering then seen the coaches gathering the JV and counting heads to allow a whole squad of 2nd teamers. Figure they deserved some real live feud time too, lord knows theys earned it after getting earholed all week by the 1st team! You Fayetteville folkes have a HEEP to be proud with what you have done and what the future holds! Congrats.......

I'm pretty sure that Spitt took a knee at the end. I had several Fayetteville people tell me that the Fayetteville Coach doesn't play freshman or Sophomores. Big mistake.. The reason our Db's were playing soft was because you Qb was throwing up Ducks. I saw it in Films of you guys. Fayetteville would have a few more Wins with a better Qb for sure

LOPAO.... Geno, Old Pirate would love to see you throw that futeball with a nasty bunch of angry Pirates after you trying to earhole you. The QB threw some nice balls when he had the time!

Let me ask you a question. Why did that Stone man try to throw the durn ball? Our boys were running it real good and our passer did not have time to throw the ball. Let me ask you another question. When that Moore man told our boys to block that punt and that Fayetteville boy caught it, did he not tell them to tackle him if he caught? What kind of mess is that? If our boys block one of that Henry mans punts and they don't tackle him they could get a first down and we could get beat. You think im joking but im not.

S.P. took a timeout with less than two minutes left in the game. Your QB took a knee on the last play with four seconds left on the clock. No mercy given, none expected.

I'm not sure what F'ville people you taked to, but Coach Palmer plays whoever can contribute. Freshman or not. #56 Cain McWilliams is a Freshman DE and made several stops last night. I agree that a good QB will take a team to the next level. We're lucky to potentially have one in the next few years.

S.P. took a timeout with less than two minutes left in the game. Your QB took a knee on the last play with four seconds left on the clock. No mercy given, none expected.

I'm not sure what F'ville people you taked to, but Coach Palmer plays whoever can contribute. Freshman or not. #56 Cain McWilliams is a Freshman DE and made several stops last night. I agree that a good QB will take a team to the next level. We're lucky to potentially have one in the next few years.

The timeout was to get the 3rd and 4th string players in the game

yeah, the timeout was just to get everyone some playing time.  There were 1 or 2 that hadn't seen much playing time all year, as freshman.  The freshman running back will be a beast once he learn how to run.  That was just athleticism last night.  #56 will be a stud if he gets any bigger and stronger.  I was most impressed with #44.  He was all over the field. We don't throw enough to be good at it.  Plus you had 7 on the line in an all out blitz 90% of the game.  But good scheming.  I think you seen that the outside speed you guys had success with most of the season was shut down with contain speed by the Pirates.  I don't remember seeing a roughing the punter.  Was it the second punt by you?  The one after the block?  You punter ran towards your sideline then kicked it sideways away from us so I couldn't see it that well. 

yeah, the timeout was just to get everyone some playing time.  There were 1 or 2 that hadn't seen much playing time all year, as freshman.  The freshman running back will be a beast once he learn how to run.  That was just athleticism last night.  #56 will be a stud if he gets any bigger and stronger.  I was most impressed with #44.  He was all over the field. We don't throw enough to be good at it.  Plus you had 7 on the line in an all out blitz 90% of the game.  But good scheming.  I think you seen that the outside speed you guys had success with most of the season was shut down with contain speed by the Pirates.  I don't remember seeing a roughing the punter.  Was it the second punt by you?  The one after the block?  You punter ran towards your sideline then kicked it sideways away from us so I couldn't see it that well.

I thought we had roughed their punter once, it may have been on Mitchell's big return. We hit the punter and he went down but I noticed the official indicating that the ball had been tipped so that negated any penalty for roughing or running into. A big difference from last week as far as the refs go. As a matter of fact, Fayetteville got hosed a few times.

I thought we had roughed their punter once, it may have been on Mitchell's big return. We hit the punter and he went down but I noticed the official indicating that the ball had been tipped so that negated any penalty for roughing or running into. A big difference from last week as far as the refs go. As a matter of fact, Fayetteville got hosed a few times.

I must have turned my head at that point. Pirate tom seen it too. Hard to tell if tipped. Refs may have missed that one.