CPA Basketball

bjl1929

Coaches in the Knoxville area have turned to coaching the middle school AAU kids. What a great way to identify talent and see how they perform against talented peers rather than average middle school competition. Then you can target your more talented kids to join you once they hit the high school ranks + you've developed a relationship with not only the kids but the parents and potential teammates. All of this would fall outside the TSSAA guidelines.

Big Chief- You are dead on with the convenient second row seating. I had one official come to the bench of the opposing team and tell the high school coach to quit coaching and move into the last row of the stands or he was calling the TSSAA and tell them HE was coaching his team out of season.

I like "Team Select" that practices at CPA and is coached by Michael Couey.....Coach Maddux's assistant coach.  This allows Coach Couey extra income by coaching players during the summer and identifying 6th grade talent.  Hopefully they expand their program down to Kindergarten and I'll let my son try out.  He is a baller right now at age 4.  

I like "Team Select" that practices at CPA and is coached by Michael Couey.....Coach Maddux's assistant coach. This allows Coach Couey extra income by coaching players during the summer and identifying 6th grade talent. Hopefully they expand their program down to Kindergarten and I'll let my son try out. He is a baller right now at age 4.

Jett, Dad1, sports nerd, other CPA folks, is this statement true?

I will respond but I honestly do not know. I also do not know the rules concerning this if it is true. I also do not know if it is OK according to rules how many other coaches and schools have similar situations. Maybe someone is more knowledgeable than me about the rules, the CPA situation according to the rules, and the practice statewide.

... Do you find it hard to believe that area players will want to play for a former SEC all star who has a reputation of developing players?... 

...most of the great players at CPA chose to attend CPA in part due to the fact that he is a great coach and a good man and mentor.

Of course this idea, which is certainly a possibility, has been brought up time and time again.  But if you don't want people to respond then don't bring it up.  If the possibility you present is the truth (e.g. this is the only reason for choosing CPA), my questions for everyone who present this premise remain:

1.  Then the influx of athletes into the HS should have continued for both CPA boys and girls basketball with the great success both teams have had over the last few years, correct?  What names can you provide to show this trend continues?

2.  Why does it appear the only ones who have chosen to attend CPA are primarily associated with the AAU/private lesson scenario?

3.  Why would any parent having a son taking private lessons ever ask another adult for advice since the coach at one point kept telling the parent her son in terms of a college playing future would be better if he attended CPA?  (Is this a specific enough example for everyone or will you simply discredit and go on the attack?)   

4.  Why don't credible sources support this premise?

Are these not legitimate questions or do you simply consider this an attack?  I consider these legitimate questions. 

Would all of the CPA issues subside if they were in the division 2 league? Why don't they go to D2? They wouldn't have to go to the south of Davidson County for their district games? They could stay close to home and play their old rivals. The public schools would probably ignore them just like the do with the rest. The coachT boards would probably be quiet then.

Would all of the CPA issues subside if they were in the division 2 league? Why don't they go to D2? They wouldn't have to go to the south of Davidson County for their district games? They could stay close to home and play their old rivals. The public schools would probably ignore them just like the do with the rest. The coachT boards would probably be quiet then.

I agree 100%

Of course this idea, which is certainly a possibility, has been brought up time and time again.  But if you don't want people to respond then don't bring it up.  If the possibility you present is the truth (e.g. this is the only reason for choosing CPA), my questions for everyone who present this premise remain:

1.  Then the influx of athletes into the HS should have continued for both CPA boys and girls basketball with the great success both teams have had over the last few years, correct?  What names can you provide to show this trend continues?

2.  Why does it appear the only ones who have chosen to attend CPA are primarily associated with the AAU/private lesson scenario?

3.  Why would any parent having a son taking private lessons ever ask another adult for advice since the coach at one point kept telling the parent her son in terms of a college playing future would be better if he attended CPA?  (Is this a specific enough example for everyone or will you simply discredit and go on the attack?)   

4.  Why don't credible sources support this premise?

Are these not legitimate questions or do you simply consider this an attack?  I consider these legitimate questions. 

1.  Simple.  Accomplishments and name recognition.  If Gino Torreta were the girls basketball coach, then it would have.

2.  How many players on the current roster does this apply?

3.  We need names to convict.  Otherwise it's just hearsay.

4.  I'm a credible source.

Why don't you go sniff out all alleged rules violations against all other high school programs?  Why do you only attack CPA?  What's your end game?

2minutedrill, on 23 Jan 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:snapback.png

I like "Team Select" that practices at CPA and is coached by Michael Couey.....Coach Maddux's assistant coach. This allows Coach Couey extra income by coaching players during the summer and identifying 6th grade talent. Hopefully they expand their program down to Kindergarten and I'll let my son try out. He is a baller right now at age 4.

Yes, this team exists. It is made up of some CPA and some outside CPA players.  It's an invite only team. No open try-outs. Time will tell as to how many of those players end up at CPA in the future.  The current Seniors were Coach Maddux's AAU team when they were about that age.  It's a strategy that has worked well for them.

1.  Simple.  Accomplishments and name recognition.  If Gino Torreta were the girls basketball coach, then it would have.

2.  How many players on the current roster does this apply?

3.  We need names to convict.  Otherwise it's just hearsay.

4.  I'm a credible source.

Why don't you go sniff out all alleged rules violations against all other high school programs?  Why do you only attack CPA?  What's your end game?

re: #3  I have personally seen a facebook post where one player claimed he was going to go to school at another private not CPA, and when someone said, yea, nobody wanted you at CPA anyway, he claimed, oh is that why someone called my mom?   It was a matter of days before he was enrolled. Which isn't usually the case for students, as there is a testing procedure, etc., that takes time. Not to mention waiting lists in many classes.

But if it doesn't bother you that so many of the current team openly admit to playing for Maddux on his AAU team at one time, then you won't think anything could be wrong with that scenario either.

Don't private schools resemble professional big market sports teams? They both have the resources to go after the best players! The difference is small market professional sports teams are unwilling to up the anti for better players. The public schools are unable to up the anti for the best players.