7-aaa offseason thread

Texmex9

7AAA folks who have carried on about the sec of high school football deserve the harrassment! We either put up or shut up! I don't care what any one says football is a tough sport and every team every week gets physically beat up no matter where you play! Congrats to Maryville for another nice win over 7AAA!

7AAA should have another great run to the semi state next year until the Maryville game 10 years Maryville has beaten the best 7 AAA has to offer and there still is little respect, I AM not a Maryville fan but, did attend the game Friday night and was blown away by how many of the Blackmon fans were saying Maryville hasn't played anyone, they aren't that good, we play in the SEC of high school football. 7 AAA needs to learn that you can't be the guy until you beat the guy and 7 AAA has not been able to do that for TEN 10 ten YEARS, no matter how you write it Maryville has dominated, you always have next year, good luck to the semi state, they do give you guys a plaque for that right?

7AAA should have another great run to the semi state next year until the Maryville game 10 years Maryville has beaten the best 7 AAA has to offer and there still is little respect, I AM not a Maryville fan but, did attend the game Friday night and was blown away by how many of the Blackmon fans were saying Maryville hasn't played anyone, they aren't that good, we play in the SEC of high school football. 7 AAA needs to learn that you can't be the guy until you beat the guy and 7 AAA has not been able to do that for TEN 10 ten YEARS, no matter how you write it Maryville has dominated, you always have next year, good luck to the semi state, they do give you guys a plaque for that right?

Gotta agree with jammin on this one.  7-AAA coaches need to up their game and realize that they'll have to execute on offense, defense, and special teams to get by a team as well coached a Maryville.  In most of the matchups, the team from 7-AAA was more talented (definitely more athletic), but just got beat by a bunch of really good football players that execute EVERY play for 48 minutes. That includes every kick or special teams situation.  Blackman, Siegel and Riverdale (repeatedly) just got completely smoked on special teams.

The coaches from 7-AAA need to really focus on getting their smart, coachable players back out on the team.  The guy on the field needs to be the guy that will execute and never takes a play off.  If the more athletic guy can't remember his assignments, fumbles, or tends to freelance, find him a place on the bench while he learns to play as part of a team. The phrase here is discipline.

In 7-AAA, the only coach that I see that is possible heading in the right direction is Shadowens. Blackman was more balanced and at least has a semblance of special teams.  Oakland can't play offense and apparently never will as long as McDaniel is running the show. Siegel can't play defense, at least up to this point, which really surprises me with Wyant as HC.  Riverdale, in some years, is capable of giving a clinic on the wing-t offense but has zero, and I mean zero, emphasis on defense or special teams.

The biggest common denominator for the 7-AAA teams against Maryville has just been the winning attitude and ability to handle 48 minutes of championship level football.  One of the really interesting things is how Maryville has been able to just wear Riverdale, Siegel, and Blackman down by the 4th quarter and Maryville just seems to keep getting stronger.  That's a combination of depth created by great coaching and relentless pressure created by a great gameplan.   

Gotta agree with jammin on this one.  7-AAA coaches need to up their game and realize that they'll have to execute on offense, defense, and special teams to get by a team as well coached a Maryville.  In most of the matchups, the team from 7-AAA was more talented (definitely more athletic), but just got beat by a bunch of really good football players that execute EVERY play for 48 minutes. That includes every kick or special teams situation.  Blackman, Siegel and Riverdale (repeatedly) just got completely smoked on special teams.

The coaches from 7-AAA need to really focus on getting their smart, coachable players back out on the team.  The guy on the field needs to be the guy that will execute and never takes a play off.  If the more athletic guy can't remember his assignments, fumbles, or tends to freelance, find him a place on the bench while he learns to play as part of a team. The phrase here is discipline.

In 7-AAA, the only coach that I see that is possible heading in the right direction is Shadowens. Blackman was more balanced and at least has a semblance of special teams.  Oakland can't play offense and apparently never will as long as McDaniel is running the show. Siegel can't play defense, at least up to this point, which really surprises me with Wyant as HC.  Riverdale, in some years, is capable of giving a clinic on the wing-t offense but has zero, and I mean zero, emphasis on defense or special teams.

The biggest common denominator for the 7-AAA teams against Maryville has just been the winning attitude and ability to handle 48 minutes of championship level football.  One of the really interesting things is how Maryville has been able to just wear Riverdale, Siegel, and Blackman down by the 4th quarter and Maryville just seems to keep getting stronger.  That's a combination of depth created by great coaching and relentless pressure created by a great gameplan.   

I agree with all you say there TDC , but may I also add that having a Buddy of the Coach trying to bully everyone into accepting 4-6 as good enough ... well I just don't think Riverdale should ever be a Coaching Job where you don't even have to have HIGH EXPECTATIONS !! 

Also that watered down excuse they're throwing out , according to these figures Maryville has 1445 Students , Riverdale 2028 .... btw , Maryville had Zero D1 players last year , probably Zero this year , and next year we actually have 1 !!!! Coaches Buddy wants everyone to think that the only way you could ever win is to have loads and loads of Talent ... and when you don't win , you just Blame it on your players ... 

http://blogs.tennessean.com/high-school-sports/2012/10/03/tssaa-enrollment-figures-for-2013-17-reclassification/

I wish it wouldnt have ever gotten started. The first time I saw "7AAA is the SEC of high school football" was in the DNJ. I am a 7AAA guy and wish from the beginning that it would never had been mentioned. This is a strong district. I will agree with that. But what separates this district from any other district? What I see right now on most teams in our district is a discipline problem. With the exception of Siegel and Stewarts Creek. How many penalties did Blackman have against Maryville that were drive killers. Discipline can go in many different directions. Such as fundamentals. attitude, unselfish play, turnovers, and assignment football. A team that is constantly winning the gold has very few problems in these areas. Talent is a great thing. But it doesn't mean anything unless everyone plays for the team and buys into the discipline that is required to be a champion.

Hum, where to start? Having witnessed Maryville for myself. It became very apparent to me that 7AAA as well as the teams in their own district may never get there. Though they only have 1400 students or so, they still have as many football players as we have and there is a reason for that. (1) Maryville is built for success In more ways than one. (2) Really well coached and they do what they do extremely well. (3) As close to a public school recruting as you can get with open zoning. (4) Will consistently be in the semi finals as result of the HUGE advantage they have in the part of the state where they are located. The road to the state will have to go through Maryville at least every other year. (5) I agree about the coaching in 7AAA as well, we seem to have parts of the puzzle right, but are missing a few pieces.

I don't know, if nobody in East Tennessee can do the heavy lifting, IMO it will require one of those team of the decade teams like last years Siegal team (only with a two legged QB). :popcorneater:

Edited by mykidsdad

Warning: this is going to be really, really long! 

First of all, have to say that I hate to see a 7AAA offseason thread turn into a comparison-to-Maryville session. I get that the Rebels are pretty much the measuring stick for success right now though, and Rutherford County is accustomed to winning so naturally the conversation is going to turn to - well what's it going to take to get over that hump? You all have a bunch of proud programs, and truthfully I love that we've been getting to play one of you guys every year because I'd much rather come out on top in a real slobberknocker that you're talking about years later, than have a cakewalk to the title. And Rutherford County fields some good, solid challenges with games that are anything but a foregone conclusion.I mean take nothing away from some of the other games we play, but a fair chunk of the schedule some years consists of "well if we play our game and take care of business then this should go fine." Then we come up against great teams, from off somewhere else, with little to no common opponents, and it's a refreshing change to look at an upcoming Friday night and really have no idea what to expect. Hats off to you guys! And I still wish we could have played against Stockstill with two legs. That kid was just exceptional. 

Anyway it's been said already more eloquently than I'm able to, but I think it's Maryville's brand of football that wins games - that combined with kids with gigantic hearts and wills who are willing to buy into the effort and discipline it takes to succeed on every single play. We get a fair number of standout athletes, but those are icing, not the cake, you know? Like was mentioned, we may have a D1 guy or two on the roster one year, others, maybe not. We always seem to stay balanced, we always seem to shy away from playing kids two ways where we can.

What I love about high school football is that at this level, Maryville football works, and you can see the edge where that one philosophy (fundamentals and execution) runs into another (talent and athleticism). Some years? Maryville's way will take all comers - we'll have just enough athletes to hang with anyone. Other years? You can see where the college game is going, where execution still counts but you have to have the speed or size or power to compete. Last year? Forget officials and overtime and all that... Maryville just didn't have an answer for Dodson all game long. He ran for what, like 300-something? But this year, without him, Whitehaven is a 9-3 team and done in the second round.

Remember John Henderson at Pearl-Cohn? They ran this one play where he was a *receiver*! I mean what the heck... he just went and hung out in the end zone and stuck his hand up and there wasn't a kid on that Maryville roster who could do a thing about it, because even in high school Henderson was like 12 feet tall and weighed 1500 pounds. Even if you could've jumped high enough, you'd have to battle through like a half a mile of body to get to where he was catching. Other years, we've seen some pretty good players have some pretty pedestrian outings against good Maryville teams - Riggs at Red Bank comes to mind. 

I suppose where I'm going with this is that Maryville has a particular brand of play, and year after year we get great kids who are all-in on playing that brand of football, and it's had some pretty remarkable results.

So since we're seemingly going to be seeing each other for some time to come, let's introduce ourselves! Who are all you 7AAA guys? If you (for whichever school you support) had to sum up "well this is our identity as a program" what would it be? And take it further, who do you have coming up that fits what you're trying to do - or is it the other way around and you fit what you're trying to do to the kids you have coming up?

7aaa needs stable zones so the feeder schools have time to build and send players on to the zoned high school that know that offense/defense and have pride in the program before they ever get there. The talent is there for multiple state championships by several schools in 7aaa. The coaching is in place at several of them as well. Time and stability are the missing pieces. Everything else is there. The district needs 5-7 consecutive years without a new school being built and minimal zoning changes and then the championships will come much more regularly. The growth and politics of the county may prevent it. If that is the case, 7aaa as a general rule will not have more than 1-2 championships per decade, if that many.