7-aaa offseason thread

Texmex9

Not having as many out as possible is a mistake. You may know plenty of coaches that believe this is best. I think you know plenty of lazy coaches who aren't interested in building a program, but getting those last few years in before retiring. That sophomore that isn't worth a nickel now, may end up being a major contributor by his senior year. Seen it many times. This is the attitude that runs programs into the ground.

I believe you to be wrong. I have my opinion, you have yours. Winning big sometimes brings big numbers to the team, but not usually the other way around. I have seen dozens of programs with 100 kids standing around and they couldn't beat anyone. Some coaches like to keep 50, some like more. Some like to be lean with only contributors around, others don't.

In your particular case, there are certain advantages that most around the state know exists in Maryville. Its no big deal and nothing illegal that I am aware of, but if everyone had them, the record books would look different than they do. This is a 7aaa thread. I believe there are plenty of other thread for discussions about Maryville advantages, so please don't take over this thread demanding proof or defending your team. Everyone has heard it over and over. And yes, you have the right to post where and what you want. Heard that one many times too. 

I am from Maryville yes. I have worked around many other programs as well. You are right that Maryville has advantages that everyone does not have. I am not comparing the situation you speak of to Maryville. When you only want the bare minimum out you are not interested in growing your program. You are just interested in trying to win in one season. It is a short sighted approach of someone who is not interested in 5, 10, 20 years down the road. My opinion.

I am from Maryville yes. I have worked around many other programs as well. You are right that Maryville has advantages that everyone does not have. I am not comparing the situation you speak of to Maryville. When you only want the bare minimum out you are not interested in growing your program. You are just interested in trying to win in one season. It is a short sighted approach of someone who is not interested in 5, 10, 20 years down the road. My opinion.

I believe 50 on varsity far exceeds the bare minimum of 11.

That is your opinion. If at all possible, I would rather have around 25 in each class. Rarely do you keep all from freshman to seniors, so I would try to keep 30 Fr, 28-26 Soph, 25-22 Jr, and 20 senior class. This gives you plenty of numbers to choose from. While only 25 or so players may get on the field on Friday night, another 25-30 get on the field in JV games, and 30 more for freshman games. Now you have 80 players contributing to your program. Any of those 80 could develop into contributors for a future Friday night. Someone also has to provide a scout team to practice against as well. That is as important as anything that a player does on Friday night, both from a preparation stand point and injury prevention. Also something to be said about internal competition making everyone better. Again this is just my opinion. You run your team however you see fit.

I believe you to be wrong. I have my opinion, you have yours. Winning big sometimes brings big numbers to the team, but not usually the other way around. I have seen dozens of programs with 100 kids standing around and they couldn't beat anyone. Some coaches like to keep 50, some like more. Some like to be lean with only contributors around, others don't.

In your particular case, there are certain advantages that most around the state know exists in Maryville. Its no big deal and nothing illegal that I am aware of, but if everyone had them, the record books would look different than they do. This is a 7aaa thread. I believe there are plenty of other thread for discussions about Maryville advantages, so please don't take over this thread demanding proof or defending your team. Everyone has heard it over and over. And yes, you have the right to post where and what you want. Heard that one many times too.

Where did he mention Maryville in his post?

That is your opinion. If at all possible, I would rather have around 25 in each class. Rarely do you keep all from freshman to seniors, so I would try to keep 30 Fr, 28-26 Soph, 25-22 Jr, and 20 senior class. This gives you plenty of numbers to choose from. While only 25 or so players may get on the field on Friday night, another 25-30 get on the field in JV games, and 30 more for freshman games. Now you have 80 players contributing to your program. Any of those 80 could develop into contributors for a future Friday night. Someone also has to provide a scout team to practice against as well. That is as important as anything that a player does on Friday night, both from a preparation stand point and injury prevention. Also something to be said about internal competition making everyone better. Again this is just my opinion. You run your team however you see fit.

Riverdale's freshman team had 38 or so. Varsity had 65 or so. Not too far off of your numbers. LOD is trying to still the pot and you got pulled in to his delusions. Saying the numbers are down are another way to try to tear the coach down. 

Having kids around to be tackle dummies does not make the tackle dummy or the tackler better, and often gets someone hurt. Put your best against your best is the only way to make them better. You don't need 100 kids for that. 

To each their own, but if I come back to TN HS football I would love to contact you about playing in the future.

My coaching days ended back in the 70s, but you probably wouldnt have wanted to play. We never carried more than 50, were fairly small, very very tough and considered mean, and embarrassed a lot of teams we probably shouldnt have who showed up with 80. 

Edited by SwamiSays

Swimmy just how many of that 38 were on the varsity team due to lack of having backups already prepared?

I give up Coa..........ah Swimmy.

Somebody wake me when the nightmare ends.

For various reasons beyond what your try to claim, there were around 10 freshman dressing on varsity. 

You cry get them ready and get them experience, and there are 10 freshman that got some great experience. So by extension, you are saying the only non starters that should be getting experience and prep time for varsity play should be sophomores (there were 18 SO on varsity)?

So you would rather a second string junior go in for a hurt senior over a freshman or sophomore that is showing some talent and ability? If you are not starting or at least playing very regularly by the junior year, you are not really a football player. Sorry if that hurts someone's feelings. And there are cases where injury or being behind a real star may be the case, but those are pretty rare in the over scheme of football.  

Do you realize how stupid you sound? You are just trying to find a way to tear down Aydelott again, but its just not there for you. Quit trying and please do go to sleep. 

Do you realize how stupid you sound? You are just trying to find a way to tear down Aydelott again, but its just not there for you. Quit trying and please do go to sleep. 

I'd love to post a Poll about who looks Stupid between you an LOD . You've attacked him non stop for having a different opinion about a Coach than you . I actually thought you were some Young Kid with the way you went on and on , now to find out you're an old guy talking like a scorned little kid ... well I'm just thankful you have nothing to do with my program . You're a total Msg Board Bully , anybody who doesn't agree with you is wrong . Some of your ideas you've put out there to support your guy are Hilarious . If you had a Clue you'd just be quiet right now and let a few fans vent , good Lord they shouldn't be happy and you trying to put a Spin on this year as being something positive for Riverdale is Hilarious . 

My team is a competitor of Riverdale , but for years when I thought about Maryville moving up I dreamed of Maryville and Riverdale having a Great Rivalry , and hopefully we still can ... but what I find funny is that even fans of other teams want to see the Riverdale of Old ..... but not you ... bet when Adyelotte leaves you do too .