Ricky Bowers Ejected

BARTLETTHSGRAD04

Incorrect. The referees have jurisdiction over all proceedings until such time as both teams/coaches and others immediately involved in the contest have completely left the field/court where the contest was held. They actually have the say so as to when that has officially occurred also. The TSSAA has had to deal with this before. It is within his power as a referee to eject at any time until he has declared the contest officially over. Not saying it is right or wrong, just what the truth is.

The referee has jurisdiction until the game ends. Since there was a flag on the final play of the game (albeit a dead ball foul), the game would continue until the penalty situation was resolved. Beyond that, an official can file an "Unusual Incident Report" on any situation he is aware of, even if the game is over.

The officials have an impossibly difficult job and the TSSAA should support them completely.  However, no reasonable person would judge this situation as fair to Ensworth.  They will be without their top 2 coaches.  Would it not be more fair and equitable for either Ricky Bowers or Paul Wade to be suspended for the championship game and for the other to be suspended for the first game next year - or if they leave Ensworth wherever they are coaching? 

Come on TSSAA use some wisdom and judgment here.  I won't hold my breath however.   

Something tells me right or wrong that the Ensworth players may be motivated by this. There is still a lot of talent left on the sideline. Not sure any of this makes MUS task easier. The odds of Ensworth winning a state tittle may have increased. I have said this a million times ... Ricky asked the official a question in which he reacted aggressively. Ricky was trying to shake off a game where Ensworth was penalized for 105 yards.... He was working his way over to shake Clay Whitehurst hand after the game. From across the field it looked like a bump but now that I know the details I am in his corner. I am sure it was a tough game to ref and I know the Ensworth coaching staff were working the officials.

Thankfully it didn't affect the game as it has in some other big state matchups ... It may motivate an already motivated Ensworth team

The officials have an impossibly difficult job and the TSSAA should support them completely. However, no reasonable person would judge this situation as fair to Ensworth. They will be without their top 2 coaches. Would it not be more fair and equitable for either Ricky Bowers or Paul Wade to be suspended for the championship game and for the other to be suspended for the first game next year - or if they leave Ensworth wherever they are coaching?

Come on TSSAA use some wisdom and judgment here. I won't hold my breath however.

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

Something tells me right or wrong that the Ensworth players may be motivated by this. There is still a lot of talent left on the sideline. Not sure any of this makes MUS task easier. The odds of Ensworth winning a state tittle may have increased. I have said this a million times ... Ricky asked the official a question in which he reacted aggressively. Ricky was trying to shake off a game where Ensworth was penalized for 205 yards.... 205 yards !!!!!! That's more than some teams gain offensively in a game. He was working his way over to shake Clay Whitehurst hand after the game. From across the field it looked like a bump but now that I know the details I am in his corner. I am sure it was a tough game to ref and I know the Ensworth coaching staff were working the officials.

Thankfully it didn't affect the game as it has in some other big state matchups ... It may motivate an already motivated Ensworth team

105 yards, for the record. Still an awful lot.

Edited by WesVLT

Wow what a mess.  I could care a less about BA, Ensworth or Ricky Bowers but how on earth could you conclude that the official wasn't the one instigating things here.  Sure looks like Bowers was trying to leave...I thought refs were supposed leave the field or the court as soon as a game was over...sure looks like this ref had an idea of a new sheriff in town.  By the way...I generally believe that football is well officiated....basketball another matter altogether.

The real problem here is: 1) lack of oversight or control over officials (TSSAA has subbed that out to independent contractors that basically have no control), and 2) the TSSAA desire to protect itself even if its member schools or players safety are compromised. 

What sort of nonsense yields support of an official that it just suspended because its bylaws...blah blah blah?

105 yards, for the record. Still an awful lot.

I know it is quibbling and it doesn't really matter, but the Tennessean box score indicates that it was 114 yards. Which leads to my question: are there "official" TSSAA stats kept on these games or does everybody just kind of keep their own? One of the things that makes me wonder is the defensive stats for tackles - some teams regularly claim 3-4 of the top 10 tacklers in a given region; sometimes seems kinda fishy to me.

Edited by RedRobin1

I've watched Ricky coach multiple sports for years.  Hard to tell what his relationship with officials is in football, because I've never been that close to the field.  In basketball, however, I've always perceived that he knows officials and how hard to push/not push.  Reminds me of Coach K in that regard.  Sometimes, you feel like he's constantly working refs and getting away with it…other times, specifically I recall the semi-final game with MBA a couple of years ago, he gets T'd up early on and doesn't speak to the refs at all.  He knows where the line is, IMO…and he's not going to cross it for no reason…he's going to react to the refs and act accordingly.

• Upvote 1