Ricky Bowers Ejected

BARTLETTHSGRAD04

Several posts have claimed that the "bad ref" (Lloyd) was selectively enforcing the "shirt-tail" rule against Ensworth but not against BA. 

Mr. Lloyd is "known" (NOT liked) for his almost singular or obsessioinal enforcement of this rule and and for being a hardliner on all the rules.   I doubt seriously he would blatantly enforce it only on one team, especially in such a high profile game.  Not saying it didn't happen just that I find it hard to believe.  And I have better things to do than peruse the video looking to prove it one way of the other.

I'm certainly not defending him.  My posts have made that clear.  There are plenty of other negative claims that are obviously factual.  

Edited by owlbooster

I never post in the Private boards but I had to read up more on this incident. I found it interesting in the article in the Tennessean that T$$AA is disciplining the referee also in this, yet still upholding the ejection. In my opinion, you can't have it both ways. Either the referee was right or he was wrong. But that is just my opinion and that doesn't count for much.

Both the coaches and the ref were disciplined for using profanity. Allegedly....

Edited by owlbooster

Just for the record the paper used 205 penalty yards ... So I think a lot of people read the article and just assumed the yardage was correct. The high school record for penalties is 295 yards so not out or the question.

Actually I think it was 315 for Ensworth and 10 for BA.....LOL.....just make up whatever numbers fit your agenda......

As the Tennessean reported this morning, both Bowers and Wade are excluded from being on the premises.  Coaching aside, it is the last high school game for Coach Wade's son.  What a shame that he would be excluded even as a spectator.

Anyone who knows Parker Wade knows he is an outstanding young man.  Probably will play football at an Ivy League school.  Gets his brains from his momma. 

Several posts have claimed that the "bad ref" (Lloyd) was selectively enforcing the "shirt-tail" rule against Ensworth but not against BA. 

Mr. Lloyd is "known" (NOT liked) for his almost singular or obsessioinal enforcement of this rule and and for being a hardliner on all the rules.   I doubt seriously he would blatantly enforce it only on one team, especially in such a high profile game.  Not saying it didn't happen just that I find it hard to believe.  And I have better things to do than peruse the video looking to prove it one way of the other.

I'm certainly not defending him.  My posts have made that clear.  There are plenty of other negative claims that are obviously factual.  

Owl,

Both teams will tell you that it was obvious.  You may doubt it "seriously", but anyone that was there will confirm that.  That said, I don't buy into the BS that the refs had an agenda to have Brentwood win so that MUS wouldn't have to play Ensworth.  To suggest facing Brentwood is somehow a better option is ridiculous. 

Furthermore, it doesn't matter from where the refs come; the bottom line is that this was a personal issue, and the white hat simply lost it.  I think that what we witnessed was a white hat that thinks highly of himself, came into the game "aware" of the coach's reputation of "working" the referees, and felt that he could thump his chest and show the world how important he was by keeping the coach from coaching in the finals.  A referee in that circumstance has to understand that his personal feelings can't get in the way of calling a fair and balanced game; from that perspective, he failed.

• Upvote 1

You're right pudding because no Memphis team has ever gotten a bad deal in a state title game now have they? I don't think it was the right call to toss bowers but I wasn't there and I'd guess you weren't either. But reading these posts implying the west TN refs don't know what they're doing is ridiculous....,I guess all crews from middle & east TN are perfect right?

No, notso.  They aren't perfect.  The last perfect guy was nailed to a tree and he wasn't even a ref.  But, I have been to many many games and many many state championships.  I have lived all over the state including Germantown in the Memphis area, and I can tell none of the refs in any area are perfect.  Heck, I bust on 'em occasionally.  But, I can tell you this without a shadow of a doubt, the further you go west, in the state of TN, the refs get worse exponentially.  I'm not putting middle and east on any pedistal, I'm saying that all need to improve but Memphis is shamefully bad.  Answer your question? 

Where is "up here" dude?  If you live in Tennessee and haven't heard of Ricky Bowers than you are NOT a TN high school football fan.  My point was that the crew could have been from anywhere in TN that was outside of Nashville and qualified as an "out-of town" crew.  What if they had been from Chattanooga or Knoxville?  Why is the fact that they were from Memphis considered significant?  I don't know how I can state it more clearly.  Because Memphis refs have some bias against a school and coach 200 miles away?  Because they are stupid and don't know the rules?  How about the truth - you had a hotheaded ref who lost control after dealing for an entire game with a coach known for "pushing the envelope."  Period.

And just in case you haven't taken in my other posts, IMO the Ensworth suspensions were unjustified.  I also think Mr. Lloyd should "officially" (pun intended) be restricted to calling only baseball games in the future or maybe calling no games in any sport.

Up here, is in NET.  I have been to literally hundreds of games and dozens of state championships, and NO, we had never heard of him.  You have to understand, east on Knoxville there are NO privite schools that play Div II or Div I football.  So, noone knows the guy.  I have heard of Quarrels and Rankin though. ;)  

I agree with your point and definition, they were an "out of town" crew....from Memphis.  My point was that the zebras from Memphis have had a pretty good rep as being, well, not very knowledgable and not very good at what they are paid to do.  I never said they are stupid, I'm just saying they are ignorant (Google it ;) ) and unqualified.  I also never said there was any bias.Sorry if that gets ya down, but it tis what it tis.  I never said anything about any bias. 

I agree, the ref was hotheaded and made what looks to be several poor decisions.  I also agree, he shouldnt be doing high school ball with a mentality like that.  I certainly do not believe the coaches should have been tossed out like that, at that point.  I did more "consulting" on this and it's my opinion that a GOOD set of refs would have nipped the coaches in the first quarter.  It's terrrible refereeing to allow those or any coach to berate you all night and then toss him at the end.  I bet if he were popped with a 15 yard unsportsmanlike in the first quarter, we would not be discussing any of this now.  The coach would have known that any 2nd 15 yarderon the bench, and he would be tossed.  Soooo, he would have done all he could for there not to be a 2nd one.  Let me ask this, for those that were there... Did Coach Bowers' sideline get any sideline warning flags?  These are where the refs control the sidelines and the game. Again, we might not be having the discussion now, if the terrible, yes Memphis, refs had done their job to start the game. 

My followup point was, noone wants those refs doing their game at state. Now that I think about it, what better group of zebras to referee the Div II state games, than an area where there are NO privates.  hmmm now.  (My buddies would agree, but the stinkin' zebras avoid CoachT like the plague.  I think all zebras and coaches should actually, but jsut my opinion).

I get you owl.  Thanks for the tidbit.  That's sad really.  I read on the general football board, 'footballref' mentioned that he (as a working ref) would tell the kids to tuck 'em in and they usually do during the huddle.  He define the rule there though.  I had never heard of any ref sending a kid off the field for that, much less penalizing him.  Seems like theres a lot of other stuff he could be focasing on.  wow.

Owl,

Both teams will tell you that it was obvious.  You may doubt it "seriously", but anyone that was there will confirm that.  That said, I don't buy into the BS that the refs had an agenda to have Brentwood win so that MUS wouldn't have to play Ensworth.  To suggest facing Brentwood is somehow a better option is ridiculous. 

Furthermore, it doesn't matter from where the refs come; the bottom line is that this was a personal issue, and the white hat simply lost it.  I think that what we witnessed was a white hat that thinks highly of himself, came into the game "aware" of the coach's reputation of "working" the referees, and felt that he could thump his chest and show the world how important he was by keeping the coach from coaching in the finals.  A referee in that circumstance has to understand that his personal feelings can't get in the way of calling a fair and balanced game; from that perspective, he failed.

Good points, FlyBy.  I'd say you are spot on, in regards to this ref.  But if he wanted to do any chest thumping he should have done it with a sideline warning very early in the game.  I did my research and the first sideline warning (sw) is free.  The 2nd is 5 yards. The 3rd is 15 yards and is on the coach.  The 4th is 15 yards and the coach is ejected.  To allow any "working of the referee" to go on without progressing through these is terrible.  To allow anything to build up, as it seems it did for this zebra, and then to simply toss a coach, is terrible refereeing. 

And I respectfully disagree with you saying it doesnt matter where the zebras are from.  I am not talking about bias, because that is not what is going on.  Anyone who says it is, is full of it.  I am saying, from first hand experience some groups are better than others and IMO as you move west, they get worse...with a big drop off in the Memphis area. 

I just hate the situation for the coaches and the players, especially the kid who's dad is the assistant.  But, maybe, just maybe, the AD, principal or whoever is over the school board, should privately and descretely talk to the coach with the reputation of "working" the refs, to take an anger class or something.  Just saying, obviously they are very good coaches, and yelling and pushing those zebras really doesnt help his team or set a very good example.  Just my 2cents.  :geek: I'll try to shut up now. 

Edited by Pudding

Brentwood Academy was called for a sideline warning in the first half.

Thanks Wes.  None on Bowers' sideline. That validates my point.  Mr White Hat and crew set the stage for this by not being in charge from the start.  Being in charge once the game ends is too later and very unprofessional. 

I get you owl.  Thanks for the tidbit.  That's sad really.  I read on the general football board, 'footballref' mentioned that he (as a working ref) would tell the kids to tuck 'em in and they usually do during the huddle.  He define the rule there though.  I had never heard of any ref sending a kid off the field for that, much less penalizing him.  Seems like theres a lot of other stuff he could be focasing on.  wow.

I pretty sure the 3 players simply missed a play.  No penalties.

If Mr. Lloyd never officiates a game again  I doubt anybody would miss him.  It's a shame he was assigned to this game at all - much less as a crew chief.

It's not as if nobody knew about his temperament.  Very sad.

Wonder where the crew came from for the Oakland-Blackman game.......

Edited by owlbooster