South Pittsburg vs Union City (Moore man vs. Bowling man)

rlh

I want to ask the parents of UC players how it feels to watch your son win that Gold Ball? For me in 09 it was surreal. It seemed like it took a while to sink in. My son kept saying for two or three weeks later that he couldn't believe that they had won the title. People would ask him how it felt and he would say that it sorta felt like a dream. It finally sunk in when he got his ring. Just curious how everyone else is enjoying this experience.

Whats the requirement in the 40 before you can enter kindergarten in UC?I think you're sending all the slow ones to Huntingdon lol.

I was told by a UC insider that the kindergarten 40 requirement is 5.3 for lineman and 5 flat for skill players. Cheating open enrollment Tornado hosers!!!! Best team in the state no doubt in my mind. If it wasn't for Humboldt, Union City might get gold in basketball also. Edited by ysoangry

is this just a coincidence: South pitt good-marion co bad....union city -good - obion co bad...adamsville good- Mcnairy co bad,

Due to the rivalry in Marion, most kids that live in Jasper go to Marion. S. Pitt goes to S. Pitt. Not just saying that because I'm from South Pittsburg.

Marion used to be considered the Bullies of the Valley. It hasn't always been this way. Each team takes the crown for a while. BTW MC wasn't that terrible this year. They were second in the district, had a Mr. Football Finalist made it to the Playoffs. I am not sure on the overall record but when they played SP they had only lost 1 I believe. Not positive. They aren't just terrible. SP just has more athletes. Like I said MOST of the players at SP are raised there.

Edited by PiratePrideChamp

Should  Obion Co , a 4A school in the same co, not be better than the little ol 1 A?  well its not. i wonder why.. 

Coaching is one of the answers to your question.  Our current coach was the coach at OCCHS in around 2004 to 2007. When he was there, he used the veer to kick our rear.  At the same time we were going through a period where we had non-contact practices.  That did not turn out well for our program.  We did make to the title game in 2005 because of our speed, but Trousdale County showed us what contact was all about.

A few posts have been made about the impact of the Junior Tornado football program.  It appears to be paying off.  The only drawback is that if some of the boys get burned out of football by high school, but so far that has not been extremely significant.  I will point out that our FB/DE and the two brothers OL/DL/LB did not play in the junior program.

I believe that our UCMS football coach deserves some recognition also for getting the boys prepared for high school football.  He's turned out some top notch middle school teams over the past few years.  Of course it's always nice to have a few athletes and strong linemen on the team.

SP has had trouble playing assignment discipline football on defense for a while. We made adjustments after halftime and it showed but the damage was too much to overcome considering there "O" and "D" line controlled the game. You do have to have the personnel to win though and it starts up front. Anyone that watched the game knows after our first drive they made adjustments and whipped our line and then continued to give their backs on offense huge holes on many plays. I still think SP had the more talented backs but you win and lose games all the way up through the NFL in the trenches. Not having #60 a SR was a crucial missing piece for us on both sides on ball and we couldn't over come it. Not saying that's why we lost but he was stepped all year for us and dominated in some games especially on defense. UC had more numbers and size. SP will be back but in the mean time they need to get back to dicsipline sound football. We used to beat many teams that had more talent and size than us through the years just by being more fundamentally sound and disciplined. Last few years it seems we have gotten worse and worse and it's cost us. Congrats again to UC on a great year. I thought before the game I told several you looked like some previous TC teams and that you guys was the best team a SP team has faced in the state since Lake County in 94. You guys have a special group of kids and are building something out there. Next year there is no reason why you won't be even better.

Howie I'm glad to see you on here. Thanks for your comment. Dude when I first saw the veer I said This will never work. Man was I ever wrong. Congratulations to your Pirates on a great season. Maybe we do this again next year if we are lucky enough.

Big Swo: Everyone knows the veer has been a thorn in South Pitts side for so very long now dating all the way back to the days of Ken Colquitt at Marion County. I wish we ran it. It is in my opinion, a beast of an offensive stradegy cuz it keeps the defense off balance the whole game... Hope we meet up next year... Be cool dude...

Congratulations to Union City for whippin' our butts and givin' ol' Howiepirate a piece of humble pie... After 35 years, we still haven't come up with a way to stop the veer... That is so sad...

We have slowed it down many times but the offense flounders at times when they do. 

I totally agree on the youth programs. SP has kids who start playing at 6 & 7 years old. These kids have parents & grandparents who played. It is what makes for a great football tradition. Sounds like WC & UC are much the same. Both schools have classy fans & coaches. 1A is a wonderful place to be - it brings the community together & swells the pride every year!

I agree with others who say UC will have a target on their backs. That is what happens when you win the State gold ball. You should be strong next year only losing 3 seniors. Good luck to you all & congrats again!

Wc youth league has four age groups. 4,5 and 6, 7-8, 9-10 and 11-12. Waynesboro got together with some surrounding towns about four years ago and formed a new league and broke off ftom the old Lauderdale league that kept us traveling all over north Alabama. It's now Waynesboro, Collinwood, Loretto, Mt Pleasant, and Summertown and its worked out really well with the top two teams in each age group playing in a bowl game at the end of the season. The bowl games rotate from town to town in alphabetical order each year. Edited by wildcat89