Alcoa v. CPA 3A Championship

Hey Coachrus, I think its time you clear things up and tell me you're sorry for calling me a fake poster for Alcoa. By the way, you never did tell me the school you pull for.

Go Alcoa!

Never said you weren't an Alcoa fan, but not convinced that you aren't part of the multiple personality syndrome LOL. Got to admit that you're very creative.

Anyone know why some privates want to play in the public's division. This isn't just for cpa fan's to answer. cak,cat-ho-lic ,webb,and grace are all near one another.I'm sure there are other rich folks schools near by that could form a region to play each other. Why does privates want to play in the public's division? Webb school does pretty good at bringing home the Gold Balls ever year. I know that webb is the only school that actually plays in the division they should,but also plays some publics in the regular season. I know there are more rich folks schools in the nashville area that cpa could play also.

I'll take the bait. There are several reasons that some private schools choose to play in the public division. One CPA poster stated that they really couldn't afford to budget in "full" athletic scholarships. The schools that have elected to maintain their status to play in the public division offer no athletic scholarships or financial aid. They are forced to use a 1.8 multiplier  to determine their classification. I think one of the biggest reason Catholic went back into the public division was to reduce travel costs. It's not so bad for football since you only travel 5 times prior to playoffs. When they first split, Catholic's size had them playing a football game in Memphis. We took a forfeit since it would have cost us a large portion of our travel budgets for all sports. When they realigned, the majority of our district games were in Chattanooga. Again not bad for football but the other sports were having to travel to Chattanooga on a school night and getting home around midnight. Not very practical for a student athlete with tougher academic demands much less the travel cost incurred by non-revenue sports who can barely afford uniforms and equipment. For sports other than football, we were traveling  4-5 nights a week during tournament time for basketball, baseball, softball etc. Webb is also in the smaller private division and has a cake walk through most of their district schedule. Talent-wise they probably match up better with the larger private schools. It really isn't feasible in the Knoxville area to have a private school district since there are only really 4 schools but it would make more sense in Nashville. The main reason most fans want a total split is the perceived recruiting advantages but I think if you would look on the rosters of Maryville, Alcoa, Oak Ridge, Fulton, Powell, Anderson County, etc. you will find kids that are zoned elsewhere.

The way I've lived my life is I don't accumulate debt. I live within my means. Meaning I owe nothing to no one. I built my own home after I bought my land. I've never financed a new or used car (paid with cash). I've never had a credit card. Was raised by my grandparents who taught me to never rely on credit. In other words if you can't pay for it now,you don't need it. I think that is the best way to live. If you spend what you don't have,then you're broke!

Given your position on debt, how do you feel about the Alcoa City debt being discussed to upgrade Alcoa's football facilities?

http://www.thedailytimes.com/Local_News/story/Turf-battle-Alcoa-wants-new-football-facilities-put-on-fast-track-id-043492

Johnson suggested $1 million be budgeted for the project and the field house could provide restrooms and a dressing room, with other amenities added later. The plan would be to eventually have public restrooms on each end and a concession stand.

A weight room is already part of the plan for the new high school building.

The field house would be built in the west end zone of the stadium where pine trees are currently located between Lodge Street and the football field.

Bonds were issued for $30 million for the new school construction, but officials could not get the cost below $33.5 million. Thus, there’s a need for another bond issue that could include the athletic facilities request.

Bell estimated the artificial turf should be budgeted at $600,000, but that he thinks it would come in a little over $500,000.

Edited by coachrus

From the same article mentioned above:

“Alcoa is in a marketing battle with Maryville and private Knoxville schools, like Grace Christian Academy, to get the best students,†Alcoa Director of Schools Brian Bell told Alcoa City Commission at a briefing Thursday afternoon.

Alcoa is not only competing on the field with Maryville during football games, but for facilities and artificial turf as well.

Students today not only look at what the schools offer academically, but “at the entire program of what the school system has to offer,†including athletic facilities, Bell said.

I'll take the bait. There are several reasons that some private schools choose to play in the public division. One CPA poster stated that they really couldn't afford to budget in "full" athletic scholarships. The schools that have elected to maintain their status to play in the public division offer no athletic scholarships or financial aid. They are forced to use a 1.8 multiplier  to determine their classification. I think one of the biggest reason Catholic went back into the public division was to reduce travel costs. It's not so bad for football since you only travel 5 times prior to playoffs. When they first split, Catholic's size had them playing a football game in Memphis. We took a forfeit since it would have cost us a large portion of our travel budgets for all sports. When they realigned, the majority of our district games were in Chattanooga. Again not bad for football but the other sports were having to travel to Chattanooga on a school night and getting home around midnight. Not very practical for a student athlete with tougher academic demands much less the travel cost incurred by non-revenue sports who can barely afford uniforms and equipment. For sports other than football, we were traveling  4-5 nights a week during tournament time for basketball, baseball, softball etc. Webb is also in the smaller private division and has a cake walk through most of their district schedule. Talent-wise they probably match up better with the larger private schools. It really isn't feasible in the Knoxville area to have a private school district since there are only really 4 schools but it would make more sense in Nashville. The main reason most fans want a total split is the perceived recruiting advantages but I think if you would look on the rosters of Maryville, Alcoa, Oak Ridge, Fulton, Powell, Anderson County, etc. you will find kids that are zoned elsewhere.

Without the "penalties" that limit the benefit that privates have in their ability to draw from outside their immediate area because D1 privates have a 1.8 multiplier and high tuition costs. I know, in the case of CAK, that their by-laws prevent offering scholarships. And Irish certainly makes excellent points regarding travel expense.

IMO, MrTwister's question is quite fair as is IBB's response.

The new school will be close to paid for by the time it is built by the good citizens of Maryville and Blount County who are dropping coin in the F5 Renewal Project with a .50 sales tax increase in the city. (A measure that was voted down in Blount Co. and will be voted down in Maryville on Dec. 10) 

The only addendum will be the field house being built now, vs. being built two years from now for which the bond is needed.

This only happened because someone that wears a green shirt a lot is scratching a check for the turf NOW. 

We got a new recruiting tool now boys!!

Edited by AlcoasPaintedBridge

The new school will be close to paid for by the time it is built by the good citizens of Maryville and Blount County who are dropping coin in the F5 Renewal Project with a .50 sales tax increase in the city. (A measure that was voted down in Blount Co. and will be voted down in Maryville on Dec. 10) 

The only addendum will be the field house being built now, vs. being built two years from now for which the bond is needed.

This only happened because someone that wears a green shirt a lot is scratching a check for the turf NOW. 

It's not recruiting if they decide to come play for you without influence just because you have nice facilities and an excellent program. This is an entirely separate issue. I'm quite aware that you know this, but point it out for those that don't understand the difference between a student athlete and their family deciding to go to a different school versus a program "recruiting" players.

According to the Alcoa 2014 Budget, the local .50 sales tax increase will generate $1,450,000 of additional tax revenue per year. I'm thinking it may take a while to pay off $30+ million in bonds.

I really don't care what taxes and debt Alcoa residents want to incur and don't really care how you spend the money. I am sure the new turf and facilities will be awesome!

My only reason for bringing this up is that MrTwister was very derisive about anyone having debt and about CPA in particular. The issue cuts many different ways. I would never claim that Alcoa was broke just because they have a $30+ million bond issue to build school facilities.

Thanks for the info. However,I believe that if a kid that doesn't live in ALCOA's zone wants to attend ALCOA and pay the tuition he should be allowed. I was a tuition student,but the reason I was is that I was being raised by my grandparents who lived in ALCOA,but were not my legal guardians. Since both parents lived outside the city limits and did not pay city taxes I was required to pay the tuition which was around $200 in the late 70's to early 80's. Knowing what I know about ALCOA and its educational system,paying the $500 tuition today is worth sending any persons child there. I do not believe Rankin and his staff goes out and recruits athletes to ALCOA. I never heard of any kid during my 6 years (7th-12th grades) of being in the ALCOA system being recruited. We did have an influx of kids (tuition students) during freshman and sophomore years,but that was kids that lived just outside the city limits who chose to go to ALCOA because it was a lot closer than the county school they were assigned to go to. We had a lot of kids from Eagleton Junior High who came to ALCOA rather than go all the way to Heritage. Today I see names of kids who's parents attended ALCOA,but may live outside of the city limits and pay tuition because they know what type school ALCOA really is. Sorry this kind of got off subject,but I've heard all kinds off false rumours about recruiting with no proof of it happening. Its been said before by other posters and I'll say it again.If anyone knows for a fact,and has proof of ALCOA recruiting players turn your info over to the TSSAA. If you are nothing more than a conspiracy theorist,then send your allegations to Alex Jones! Thanks for your info and I think that what you said makes a lot of sense.

Without the "penalties" that limit the benefit that privates have in their ability to draw from outside their immediate area because D1 privates have a 1.8 multiplier and high tuition costs. I know, in the case of CAK, that their by-laws prevent offering scholarships. And Irish certainly makes excellent points regarding travel expense.

IMO, MrTwister's question is quite fair as is IBB's response.

Thank you GoVols.My intention was to get info and not stir that pot!