HENDERSONVILLE vs. MARYVILLE 6A Championship

Newcastle

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong as I get crosseyed looking at some of these numbers, but I believe these are GQ's postseason stats:

Head Coach of Maryville 1999-present (in his 15th year)

Made Playoffs every year he has been the head coach

Advanced to at least the quarterfinals every season

record per round:

1st - 15-0

2nd - 15-0

quarter - 14-1

Semi - 13-1

State - 9-3 with one pending

So what I guess I am getting at here is there is another unique way of looking at this is the fact that If Maryville only made it to the quarterfinals every year than I could see an argument for them maybe playing in a cupcake district/region, but the fact is that they have made it to the title game 13 of the 15 years GQ has been the coach and once you reach the quarterfinals/semifinals you are pretty much playing outside of your region and 100% of the time you make it to the title game you are.  So I will give whoever the bennifit of the doubt and say that half of GQ's wins in the quarterfinals were from teams inside their own district and the one loss is from outside, I do not know this info and really do not feel like looking it all up, but feel free to chime in if you want.  So that would make his quarterfinal record against out of district foes 7-1, now I would say the chances of playing an in district opponent in the semis are pretty slim, it does happen, but not very often, but for the benefit of the doubt, we will say that 70% of his semi wins are from out of district and his 1 loss, that would take that number to 9-1.  Now all of the state title games are against a sepertate district/region so that number would be as is at 9-3 with one pending, so in the post season, even if you are being conservative I would say that GQ's record against out of district/region opponents is in the neighborhood of 25-5 with 9 state titles and one to be determined.  That is ridiculously impressive, to put that in perspective that is 30 games played in the quarterfinals or better alone against non-district/region opponents, I would like to think that my team of AC is a pretty good team and we have only played in 23 postseason games in the that same timeframe.  Also, Oak Ridge has one of the most storied programs in the area and most people can relate to them, in that same time frame they are 21-12 in the post season, so Maryville has more quarterfinal+ wins against non-district/region opponents than OR has playoff wins.  I don't care who you are or where you are from those are staggering numbers and anyone that thinks its because they are in a cupcake district/region is just crazy.

Edited by Mav4life

That's impressive. On his football profile, one thing I read is that he's a two-way starter. FB and DE. That could play a factor in his endurance against Maryville's D (and O). That happened with Blackman. They started 3 or 4 people on both sides of the ball, which gave Maryville an advantage. I expect the same sort of thing to happen Saturday. Can you find any more film of them?

http://www.hendersonvillefootball.com/rosterbio.aspx?playerid=606

Hville started 1 player both ways last Friday night and it wasn't #34 Jones. Of the 20 + years I have followed them this is the least number that have started both ways. They will rotate several players on both sides but only 1 starts.

Thanks Bounder, Hopefully next year I can have a real good matchup week 10 for AC and OR lol.

I'm serious Mav , you could be a real nice asset to a newspaper or website on high school football , your research is very impressive . Anyone can throw out numbers , but the way you do it to prove a point or check opponent strength is very thorough and impressive . You are a very nice asset to coachT no doubt , and I appreciate the time you put into all this .

I think that Maryville has had a decent amount of D-1 talent.  However, I think it is different than a lot of teams.  Some teams are just loaded at skill positions with the most athletic players in the state.  Whitehaven last year had that advantage.  Maryville usually has one or two that are of a high caliber and then everyone else is a regular guy.  Also, Maryville doesn't really rely on those D-1 players like other teams do.  Look at Beech... without their star (who is amazing) they go 6-5 and lose in the first round of the playoffs.  With him they won two state titles in a row.  They relied on him that heavily.  Maryville had D-1 talent Carl Stewart from 2000-2002, but if you watched us play and looked at stats from that year his running mate TJ Brock (and in 2002 Chris McCord) both had similar stats.  With Robbinette or Thompson Maryville kept the game balanced on the ground and had outstanding running backs.  They've never been a team to just put the burden on the shoulders of one player and I think that is what makes them so hard to stop.

Beech also graduated much of their championship team including all but one OL. Hurd makes a big difference, however, even with Hurd, Beech was a different team this year.

Many teams have a year or two run while others sustain years, even decades of a program and it's working parts driven by a sense of belief, common goals and great expectations to win. Maryville has a sustained culture of these attributes to near perfection. 

Hville started 1 player both ways last Friday night and it wasn't #34 Jones. Of the 20 + years I have followed them this is the least number that have started both ways. They will rotate several players on both sides but only 1 starts.

Hendersonville posters are good folks and knowledgeable people with Mondo44 being top notch. Even though most of Hendersonville fans seem to be on twitter, and I have seen two maybe three post as we near the end of page 7.  

Lets Recap: Everyone who follows high school football in America knows Hendersonville is the underdog. From all I have read, it seems the majority have predicted a landslide victory but warned not to overlook (really? :rolleyes:) as the game still has to be played.  Maryville has already won the championship game by beating the SEC (7AAA) and while Maryville plays in the ACC (4AAA), Maryville is still #1 (aka Florida State). Although Hendersonville plays in the Big Ten (9AAA), they do have a pretty tough district year in and year out and do stand an outside chance as the championship has yet to be played and if Maryville for some reason overlooks this game. 

Okay, joking aside. I for one am glad Hendersonville is representing 9AAA in 6A and only wish Gallatin could have this year in 5A. I supported Hendersonville last week and will this week though it makes me queasy. 9AAA has been a predominately 5A district until this year since the split in 2009 and has sent a team to the state title every year but one that ended in the semis. Multiple teams compete in the quarters and semis every year. Hendersonville had many injuries early in the season including #34 while losing two in a row by 3 points each (one of which made me happy) but have really turned it on. They also lost to a very talented Station Camp to end the regular season by one score but redeemed themselves by beating Station Camp in the second round.

Do I think Hendersonville can win? It's a Big Ten/ACC challenge! Lol.  :popcorneater:    

Edited by TheRealTruth

Why do we keep bringing up the fact that not many Hville fans post on here? Anyways, nice breakdown

Another thing tho, I keep seeing things things on social media and in the newspapers about this being Hville's first trip to the state championship at the highest classification. While it obviously is their first year in 6A and first trip to the 6A championship.. Hville went to the 5A Championship in 98 and 01 when THAT was the highest classification. While they came up short on both meetings to then powerhouses Riverdale and Oakland, this is actually their 3rd trip to State in the highest classification and their 4th trip overall in the last 15 years. That's a pretty impressive span of time for Hatfield and company.

Hendersonville posters are good folks and knowledgeable people with Mondo44 being top notch. Even though most of Hendersonville fans seem to be on twitter, and I have seen two maybe three post as we near the end of page 7.

Lets Recap: Everyone who follows high school football in America knows Hendersonville is the underdog. From all I have read, it seems the majority have predicted a landslide victory but warned not to overlook (really? :rolleyes:) as the game still has to be played. Maryville has already won the championship game by beating the SEC (7AAA) and while Maryville plays in the ACC (4AAA), Maryville is still #1 (aka Florida State). Although Hendersonville plays in the Big Ten (9AAA), they do have a pretty tough district year in and year out and do stand an outside chance as the championship has yet to be played and if Maryville for some reason overlooks this game.

Okay, joking aside. I for one am glad Hendersonville is representing 9AAA in 6A and only wish Gallatin could have this year in 5A. I supported Hendersonville last week and will this week though it makes me queasy. 9AAA has been a predominately 5A district until this year since the split in 2009 and has sent a team to the state title every year but one that ended in the semis. Multiple teams compete in the quarters and semis every year. Hendersonville had many injuries every in the season including #34 while losing two in a row by 3 points each (one of which made me happy) but have really turned it on. They also lost to a very talented Station Camp to end the regular season by one score but redeemed themselves by beating Station Camp in the second round.

In still kicking myself ( Indy game ) but to HHS credit

Do I think Hendersonville can win? It's a Big Ten/ACC challenge! Lol. :popcorneater:

I'm still kicking myself Indy game - to HHS credit Indy didn't lose it you won it being the better team... Team with heart , maybe an Auburn..

Watched preseason and how it went along , you were the ugly sister , not getting much love and early didn't deserve any ( losing to Brentwood ) but you stayed the course and here ya are ....

No offense ya look at your FB and say to yourself that kid should be the tuba player but after watching him kid is fast and runs very very hard .....

Want ya to win but can't see you stopping that Qb from MHS, he is very impressive

Here's another interesting number....15-0. Maryville High Spoofhounds from Maryville, Mo finished their season yesterday at 15-0 and are the Missouri 3aaa State Champions. They defeated Seneca High (not from 7aaa).

Is this one of Stars farm teams? Is their coach a smiling guy named Jorge Morales? Do they have to play anyone from 7aaa? Do they carry opponent's helmets on a stick? Is their concession stand stocked with Chik-fil-a? Do they have flags on a pole?

Congrats to Maryville High School for winning the Missouri 3A State Championship! Go Spoofhounds!

Your Qb , what position did he play last year ( I may be wrong but can't recall him being your Qb vs Seigal??)

The kid win the game, I knew he had a crazy pass completion number , yards and TD but he was like some general out there and seemed like he was in that system for 15 years starting .....

Don't know size if kid or arm strength but if I'm a div 2 or 3 coach I'm calling that kid

Your Qb , what position did he play last year ( I may be wrong but can't recall him being your Qb vs Seigal??)

The kid win the game, I knew he had a crazy pass completion number , yards and TD but he was like some general out there and seemed like he was in that system for 15 years starting .....

Don't know size if kid or arm strength but if I'm a div 2 or 3 coach I'm calling that kid

He was competing for the starting position but came down with mono and missed the start of the season. Nick Myers won the spot and did very well. He is playing at Maryville College now. John Garrett (current QB) does not have the size or speed for D1 but I agree he is a steal for D2 or 3. BTW he played corner last year after he was healthy and was very solid.